Are the soul card balanced?

Everything that doesn't go anywhere else.

Re: Are the soul card balanced?

Postby Romdeau » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:06 pm

I happen to like my cookies. 8-)
Romdeau

Postby Xovian » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:07 pm

DanTheTimid wrote: They weren't happy with the fact that from what I heard almost all the top japanese decks use exactly the same soul cards. Well right now I'm starting to see the same thing happen in the english game, the top decks seem to include combinations of the same soul cards.

I've commented on this exact thing before.
How many of you regulars in Folrart, pretty much expect the old Assassin SS in slot 2 for the majority of players (and pretty much ALL Lawtia players (as I've yet to see a 1600+ RP Lawtia that doesn't use it))?
The number of players that have this are quite staggering. The same can be said for the amount of 2 dmg shot cards for the first slot, though the types do vary depending on what the player has. Given the number of cards that fill that role, there is going to be some variety, but the overall is going to be the same.

The again, are they really all that different from even the most basic starter file?
The only big difference i see in the rarer cards vs the commons in the first few slots are the likely hood they will actually kill their target.
However, the "in the field" units have largely remained unchanged.

To clarify, think on this.
How many people use Monk/Magic Doll/Moonlight Warrior as SS for the first slot or even the first 3 slots when you altered your starter file?
Remember when you played those other starter files, and that 30 row attack could clear the field?
Me neither, they would often heavily damage units, but most of the time, they didnt close much of anything, other then maybe haste soldier.
Considering many files go out of their way to drop level 3 cards at least, which most wont die to those kinds of cards unless they have already taken damage.

The big difference in those rares, is depending on whats on the board, they will still do heavy damage, but they are also more likely to close something as well. Not really that big of a difference, but given they do have better odds, especially the 40 dmg when compared to 30, it seems about right that something should be improved on the rares to some extent right?

I'm waiting for the 50+ dmg (that subtracts from HP) that give SP personally....yea i can dream cant i? Well since I'm dreaming, make it an LP2 card too...come on, why not?
Last edited by Xovian on Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Chromatic, I embody all Spheres.
Xovian

Postby Phades » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:21 pm

xovian1 wrote:I'm waiting for the 50+ dmg (that subtracts from HP) that give SP personally....yea i can dream cant i? Well since I'm dreaming, make it an LP2 card too...come on, why not?
Following the current logic, that card would be what a 7-8 star rare? :twisted:
Phades

Postby ANIMEniac » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:49 pm

My reference to YGO was meant to show that all the great rares will be sought for and used in every deck. Just like you mentioned, it gets to a point where are the top decks can end up looking the same (in this case more like the Souls).

This is only in the first set, so the fields will all play similarly. Right now the Souls have a heavy influence on the game. Right now, I am seeing a strong showing of pure damage souls (elena, laruts, and samurai). These are most effective ATM in the meta. Maybe with the next set we will see some more variances when decks can diversify.

Hmm..how interesting would it be if we were able to arrange orders of Souls during a match..
ANIMEniac

Postby neonsun » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:50 am

well let me put this way :
Show me any Ixzer with either a long winning streak ora win ratio above 60% and i ll show you HIS 5 star SS ,
Show me any IXzer with a win ratio above 70% --> i ll show you 2 LArut and 1 Asuet or steel !

This is so nice... and yes Dan all the "top decks" are using the same SS , lol some people have actually forgotten the way this game is played and just focus on those SS lol

hihihi nice fight last night : gowen 70%+, high points of the game : blitz ,AsuetSS, bravepanther etc..,LArut SS,etcc... LArut SS ..... need i say more lol lol lol

We need expansion packs, the lack of cards is choking the game
HAving molerat meat for breakfast lunch and dinner ....Cheers !!!!
neonsun

Postby angelatheist » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:59 am

I have an account with a win percentage of exactly 70%. It has aside from starters in his deck 2 3-star cards, a 2star card and 5 1star cards. So it is entirely possible to do, it just takes a fair amount of work and skill. :P
angelatheist

Postby ManiacalSoul » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:00 am

neonsun wrote:well let me put this way :
Show me any Ixzer with either a long winning streak ora win ratio above 60% and i ll show you HIS 5 star SS ,
Show me any IXzer with a win ratio above 70% --> i ll show you 2 LArut and 1 Asuet or steel !

This is so nice... and yes Dan all the "top decks" are using the same SS , lol some people have actually forgotten the way this game is played and just focus on those SS lol

hihihi nice fight last night : gowen 70%+, high points of the game : blitz ,AsuetSS, bravepanther etc..,LArut SS,etcc... LArut SS ..... need i say more lol lol lol

We need expansion packs, the lack of cards is choking the game

I normally like to stay out of these things but sorry, I'm getting sick of this and I can't resist this time.

Patapoya: His win pct is 85% at a minimum, i think 87% and one of the top 5 players RP-wise, and he does not have any card above 3 stars in his deck. His deck is mostly starter. Leemossi is also similar. He has a slightly lower RP and win% but is still an elite-level player, again, with no cards higher than 3 star-rarity in his deck. I also know another player, with an RP of 1902 who plays for free, and though he does have a 5 star-card, he won it in a treasure battle and was doing fine without it, the card provides an upgrade to him but is not essential to his strategy, and his win pct was well above 70% before acquiring it.
ManiacalSoul

Postby DanTheTimid » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:53 am

ManiacalSoul wrote:...the card provides an upgrade to him but is not essential to his strategy...

See that's the thing, I'm not implying the soul cards give u an insurmountable advantage, nor that you have to have them to beat other people who don't have them (despite contrary belief not everyone in Folrart has their pick of 5 and 4 star cards to use as soul cards, if your winning 70% of the time it is plausible that those wins are mostly coming against the people who don't have them and the 30% of losses are mostly coming against people who do). I'm just saying that certain cards are currently better then others and thus, as you just admitted, provide an upgrade to your deck if you have them.

In the end if some one's card file and skill/experience is significantly greater then the other, most of the time they will win. Its only when things would other wise be equal or close to equal that the soul cards give their owner a noticeable advantage. But any time a card is an upgrade over others, top players are going to run it, and thus all the top decks are going to start looking the same and top level play will become alot more boring and predictable. This was what the Japanese designers tried to avoid by rebalancing the soul cards, and what I'm hoping to help avoid by bringing this up allowing them to know which cards to look into for future rebalance. We'll see though, as has been stated, this is only the first set. Future sets may provide more viable options in place of the current staples (that don't obselete them as well) and they may change the meta in such a way that are old weaker soul cards become better. Only the Japanese designers themselves know exactly how they want to go about keeping the balance, I'm just providing some feed back on the current state of the game.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby ManiacalSoul » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:59 am

I was never attempting to contradict you Dan, my response was directed at Neonsun who seemed to imply that the top players all require them to win. I do agree with you actually, the top players use them because they are upgrades and it would be dumb not to use them.
ManiacalSoul

Postby Xovian » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:55 pm

While they are upgrades, I don't think it will change the common misconception that rares = auto win.
Surely I am proof of that misconception being false.
I believe this is commonly held by people who do not have access to such things.

Though I do try to always at least make it a challenge for the more skilled Iczers like you ManiacalSoul.
Sometimes my files seem to flop around like a fish on land more then challenge anyone.
Thats just part of the game at times.
At least I can keep you top ranked players guessing, as all of you tend to never see the same file twice.
My files are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.
I'm Chromatic, I embody all Spheres.
Xovian

Previous

Return to Alteil General Discussion