Anyone having success with Refess?

Everything that doesn't go anywhere else.

Re: Anyone having success with Refess?

Postby Grain » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:16 pm

Romdeau wrote:Whether or not the expansion makes Refess more deadly is up to you guys to decide; I just wanna chime in that I've seen a significant increase in Refess decks being played in Folart. Instead of one out of every 20 or so decks, it's much more normalized (1/4 or something). Psychologically at least, players think this sphere has been improved with this release.

I haven't.
Grain

Postby EvilGenius » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:19 pm

Grain wrote:
Romdeau wrote:Whether or not the expansion makes Refess more deadly is up to you guys to decide; I just wanna chime in that I've seen a significant increase in Refess decks being played in Folart. Instead of one out of every 20 or so decks, it's much more normalized (1/4 or something). Psychologically at least, players think this sphere has been improved with this release.

I haven't.

Improved, yes. All spheres were improved. But, improved at the same rate as the other spheres? I agree, Refess hasn't.

I'll wait 2 or 3 expansions. ;a41
EvilGenius

Postby Wisp » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:36 pm

My problem is fielding something with a decent attack/speed to start the game... if I manage to get my dragons out and bless it, I'm doing well, but by this point all my other cards are in the cemetery! I've still won a couple of games this way, but still don't have enough to play the morning cards so there's no point to using them yet as they are too weak unless it's morning. I love the new cards, I just not sure Refress quite has the edge it needs yet.
Wisp

Postby cervelo » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:10 pm

Refess has gotten much, much better and I started with Refess and have never made any other decks. I wanted to see if they would finally even out the decks. The trick is not to use the obvious and make refess into a pounding deck. You can now make it a pounding deck with a few good soul cards. Also you need alot of the new cards but not the obvious ones...I will give you one hint forlart rocks!! All forlart of them!!

The only way to win in Alteil is to pound and pound...you can beat both rush and return decks...I have now done it many times.

-js ;a41
cervelo

Postby DanTheTimid » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:59 pm

cervelo wrote:Refess has gotten much, much better and I started with Refess and have never made any other decks. I wanted to see if they would finally even out the decks. The trick is not to use the obvious and make refess into a pounding deck. You can now make it a pounding deck with a few good soul cards. Also you need alot of the new cards but not the obvious ones...I will give you one hint forlart rocks!! All forlart of them!!

The only way to win in Alteil is to pound and pound...you can beat both rush and return decks...I have now done it many times.

-js ;a41

I don't mean to discount your comments on this subject but I just took a look at your RP and at the time of this post its: 1347

Your win loss record is very low too but I won't mention it here cause honestly its irrelevant since all those losses could have come before set 2 released. Your RP rating, however, was just reset with the release of set 2, everyone was put back at 1500. As such those that have been doing good are above 1500 now, those that have been getting their butt handed to them are below 1500... and your RP shows you've been getting your butt handed to you.

I know refess was never great, but I always maintained an RP around 1600-1700 during set 1. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say anything negative about your RP, right now, as of this post, I'm 1404, so my RP isn't much better. All I'm saying is that if refess really was much improved, shouldn't I be in the 1700+ range now and other refess players like yourself be above or at least around 1500?

Incidentally Folrart Paladin is ok though not fantastic and hardly good at pounding with 25 attack, Folrart Shield Knight is ok for stalling but with 0 attack he's arguably the most ill-suited of all units to do any pounding, Folrart Spear Knights... they I agree with you on, they're all about pounding though they do pop really easily, Folrart Shrine Knights are very easily popped and do abysmal damage, I've personally found Blessed Acolytes to still be the superior 2 drop, and lastly Folrart Spiked Shield Knight, well he's actually a pretty nice unit I've found useful so far but again with low attack I haven't found him to be much of a pounder.

Really, except the spear knight who is a good attacker and shrine knight who I haven't found to be good at anything, all Folrart is good at is taking a pounding. But eventually even the best shields break if pounded on enough : - /

Still I do appreciate the advice none the less.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby cervelo » Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:45 pm

There is a reason why I am loosing but it has nothing to do with Refess not being able to pound. I do not feel it is fair for me to win too much. With that in mind, thank you for supporting MY game and hope you folks enjoy playing it. When I decided to bring it to the USA was not sure how it would be accepted. Looking good so far...

All I can say is that I started to play a deck that was designed by the best player in Japan and it can pound away. It does use the idea of out lasting the other player but now has a more pounding theme...Folrart is just one component.

And believe it or not, everyone at MB has to pay for cards, including me...just not the GMs when they use GM accounts.

-js.. ;a41
cervelo

Postby Grain » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:00 pm

cervelo wrote:There is a reason why I am loosing but it has nothing to do with Refess not being able to pound. I do not feel it is fair for me to win too much. With that in mind, thank you for supporting MY game and hope you folks enjoy playing it. When I decided to bring it to the USA was not sure how it would be accepted. Looking good so far...

All I can say is that I started to play a deck that was designed by the best player in Japan and it can pound away. It does use the idea of out lasting the other player but now has a more pounding theme...Folrart is just one component.

And believe it or not, everyone at MB has to pay for cards, including me...just not the GMs when they use GM accounts.

-js.. ;a41

Oh!

You're the person who used the Phoenix strategy in the first tournament?

Why did you change your Iczer name?
Grain

Postby DanTheTimid » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:04 pm

Wait... WHAT? Are you saying you're the creator of Alteil? What do you mean "MY" game?

Well whoever you are, assuming you have seen a deck built by a top japanesse refess player, I'm curious, what, if any, does it use for level 1s? Level 1s, perhaps more then any other, are my biggest complaint with refess. All other spheres have atleast 1, if not multiple really good level 1s to help lead into their level 3s. I haven't found any refess level 1 to be comparable with the other spheres level 1s.

Also is this still a strategy that stalls into something high level, pounding makes it sound like you can keep the pressure on with normal units and not the high level stuff that tends to get decimated by the ever popular assassin soul cards.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby Grain » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:07 pm

DanTheTimid wrote:Wait... WHAT? Are you saying you're the creator of Alteil? What do you mean "MY" game?

Well whoever you are, assuming you have seen a deck built by a top japanesse refess player, I'm curious, what, if any, does it use for level 1s? Level 1s, perhaps more then any other, are my biggest complaint with refess. All other spheres have atleast 1, if not multiple really good level 1s to help lead into their level 3s. I haven't found any refess level 1 to be comparable with the other spheres level 1s.

Also is this still a strategy that stalls into something high level, pounding makes it sound like you can keep the pressure on with normal units and not the high level stuff that tends to get decimated by the ever popular assassin soul cards.

When I played Japanese Alteil, everyone had Will o' Wisp.
Grain

Postby DanTheTimid » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:14 pm

Grain wrote:When I played Japanese Alteil, everyone had Will o' Wisp.

That's because their will-o-wisp is incredibly powerful, arguably more powerful then all the other great spirits. Ours is incredibly weak, easily the weakest of all great spirits. I've used it many times, I've had it help me a few times, but never has it proved even close to as helpful as the other great spirits have been for me, so much so that I've often found more success ignoring all refess level 1s and dual sphereing to get access to one of the other clans level 1s. Unfortunately having to dual sphere puts you at a -1 sp disadvantage but often it still proved far more worth it then using refess's level 1s.
DanTheTimid

PreviousNext

Return to Alteil General Discussion