Limited time Verlat/Eskatia sale

Everything that doesn't go anywhere else.

Limited time Verlat/Eskatia sale

Postby DanTheTimid » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:29 pm

Ok I know this is EXTREMELY unlikely to happen but I was just curious if there was any chance of your guys ever having a special limited time sale of Solar Prince / Verlat and Ruler of Crest / Eskatia in much the way you had the angel EX packs. As much as I dislike EX packs being limited time only since they are exclusive cards, I would actually love limited time sales on cards sold in packs. Since the EX cards were basically 200 gran per card, maybe sell Verlat and Eskatia at 500-800 gran each? The price point is up for debate but the point is that it helps make up for the games lack of sale/trade system that makes getting the cards you want so hard by having limited time sales on specific hard to get cards. Whats more, as of set 2, both of these cards are EXTREMELY needed as the key cards behind certain decks, and needed in 3s, yet your odds of pulling even one of them from an entire box of set 1 is only 1 in 8! That means on average a player who buys 16 boxes (I repeate SIXTEEN boxes, thats 33,600 gran or around 300 dollars) will only pull 2 of either of those guys, still 1 short of the 3 needed to make their ideal deck!

I know these cards make great chase cards but the reality is the vast VAST majority of players will never get enough to run them, yet a decent portion of each of the first 2 sets was dedicated to cards that need them to really justify their use.

Ideally I'd suggest having the sale cards have unique art, not only potentially tempting people who already own them to buy them for the unique art, but also keeping the original pack ones special as well. That however is limited by whether or not the japanese game already had alternate art for them or would be willing to create new art for them for such a promotion. If not its not a big deal, I think such a sale would still be a good idea even with the normal art too, but that would just be the ideal situation.

So yeah... any chance of something like this ever happening?
I really want to make an angel deck but theres no way I can justify spending 500 dollars on boxes just to get 3 solar prince verlats...
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Re: Limited time Verlat/Eskatia sale

Postby Grain » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:39 pm

Not until Gowen & Falkow get similar cards.
Grain

Postby Romdeau » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:39 pm

Dan, I'd really like to say this is possible but from a marketing stand point this doesn't make sense. If this were to happen, it would totally undermine the star system and the rarity of the cards; there's a reason people get hyped up when they finally score that amazing 5 star they've been waiting on for ages. Solar Prince and Eskatia decks would start popping up everywhere and I'm sure the creators don't want to see the English version being dominated either by one of the said decks. All I can tell ya is keep savin up and someday you may get lucky one of these days.
Romdeau

Postby teasel » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:53 pm

lycantrophe aren't unusable without eskatia,eskatia just makes them broken that's why you throw everything you have at eskatia... beside the new sets already brought 2 more common way to makes it night so...
teasel

Postby DanTheTimid » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:23 pm

Romdeau wrote:Dan, I'd really like to say this is possible but from a marketing stand point this doesn't make sense. If this were to happen, it would totally undermine the star system and the rarity of the cards; there's a reason people get hyped up when they finally score that amazing 5 star they've been waiting on for ages. Solar Prince and Eskatia decks would start popping up everywhere and I'm sure the creators don't want to see the English version being dominated either by one of the said decks. All I can tell ya is keep savin up and someday you may get lucky one of these days.

The thing is, even if I save up 500 dollars... I'm not going to throw it all into set 1 boxes to get a single card I want, I'm going to use it for other things (and if theres nothing in alteil at the time that I want AND think I can get for a reasonable price then its not going into alteil). HOWEVER if I can get this months limited time 4-5 star rare sale at a reasonable price and happen to want that months card(s) I'm far more likely to spend the money to get those cards. Its actually encouraging the spending of my money since I'll need to spend to get the cards before the limited time sale goes away, where as right now I've spent all the money on sets 1 and 2 I feel was justified and I'm relying on free gran or treasure battles to get cards from those sets I'm still missing.

Its really not any different then most other card games, with most card games I generally buy a couple boxes of the latest set, then any cards I still need I trade for or buy off ebay. This game has no trading or selling of cards, so these limited time sales would be filling in that missing gap.

And yes Verlat and Eskatia decks might start popping up... but right now they're almost never appearing at all. If the decks truly are over powered then thats not an issue with people having access to them, thats a balance issue that the Japanese balance testers can fix for us.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby Xovian » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:53 pm

Interesting thoughts Dan.

However, look at it from someone in my shoes.
Is it fair to offer cards of Verlat and Eskatia (or any 5 star for that matter) as guaranteed cards after people like me who spent so much to obtain them? Where is the fairness in that?

I have offered a solution that I sent to Lupos, but have not received any comments back from him as of yet.
I'm sure it would take a good deal of discussion, as well as coding, but given the lack of trading like you said there is a solution that I think most people could agree with, even those of us who have already spent a fair amount of money on the game.

My proposed idea?
Simple really, offer the sets just like the EX was offered.
In other words:
Pay XXXX$ get one full set of the cards. This makes collecting said cards easier, but will obviously go at a higher price then the current randomization the game has for the cards. Even those who don't spend money for gran, could eventually at least get a "set" or 1 of each card. Obviously the price difference will likely be kept to a point where going with the random might have accomplished the same exact thing. The difference is, most people would be far more likely to spend a higher amount if they know what cards they are getting. It also means that getting a playable set of the rares, while expensive, and likely very time consuming would be doable for almost anyone given enough time and/or money.

Whether or not the company takes such an idea and puts it into practice, is another matter, that I can not answer.
I'm Chromatic, I embody all Spheres.
Xovian

Postby arfort » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:16 pm

I heard you can can get blank cards from the FM lottery in japan and then turn in a lot of those for a single card of your choice. If we get something like that here then that would solve this issue.
I'm guessing the starters will get new cards from set 2 a month from now or when set 3 comes around so that people that want the new commons right now buy their cards and people that are willing to wait will get some new cards from set 2 for free later on. It would make sense to implement the FM lottery at that time.
I'm really hoping the FM lottery comes in sooner rather than later.
arfort

Postby Xovian » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:21 pm

arfort wrote:I'm guessing the starters will get new cards from set 2 a month from now

AnnaTheRed already commented on this. They do not expect to be changing the current starter until a couple of expansions from now.

I do think having a lottery that allows a trade in for a specific card has merit.
Everyone can only hope this gets implemented soon.
I'm Chromatic, I embody all Spheres.
Xovian

Postby DanTheTimid » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:24 am

I'm honestly not sure why it hasn't been implemented already, I mean its already coded in the Japanese version, other then translated the word "lottery" I don't think there should be too much work involved in bringing it over to the english version. I guess I could understand it more when we only had 1 set since all the starter cards were from that set, but now that we have 2 sets the FM lottery with its starter card rewards makes alot more sense and obviously those point card trade ins would be beyond useful (though I suspect you'd need a ridiculous number of them to get 5 star rarities).
DanTheTimid

Return to Alteil General Discussion