Lycanthrope [Fenrir] - Overpowered?

Everything that doesn't go anywhere else.

Lycanthrope [Fenrir] - Overpowered?

Postby Souldier » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:44 pm

I'd like to hear what people think of this card. Frankly I think it's a beast, and not necessarily in a good way!

Yesterday I ran into a really wicked Lawtia file which was able to constantly make it nighttime (not gonna say how in case that person doesn't want it revealed; mind you it wasn't Estalia). Under these conditions, Wolfman was nigh unstoppable with his 40 ATK, 5 speed and ability to hit two people at once. It also didn't help that this person always had enough SP in store to keep him alive. And even when I had a chance to hit the darn thing, I was either hitting his 20 DEF Warrior or one of his chump blockers that would trigger an SS.

Mind you, I think the deck itself is totally awesome! But under the cloak of darkness Wolfie becomes a wrecking machine. Even bouncing him with Wassier's SS wasn;t enough to keep him down!

Anyone agree, or am I just being moody? xD
The quickest way to a man's heart is through his stomach; be sure to stab with an upwards motion!
Souldier

Re: Lycanthrope [Fenrir] - Overpowered?

Postby jasta85 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:11 pm

fenrir is ONLY strong at nighttime, yes he has AGI5 and doing 40 damage to 2 front row units is a very nasty abilities, HOWEVER, keep in mind that he only has 20 HP and only a range of 1 so he must be in the first row. this means if it is ever not night time he dies to most units very easily.

Even when it's night time, he can still be a way to drain your opponent's SP supply by constantly killing him

now, having endless night (there are a few ways to do that, unforunately i dont have all the cards needed to pull it off) AND a steady supply of SP of course makes things more difficult, but you need just the right cards to pull it off. in normal play fenris is pretty balanced i would say, his range of 1 and 20 hp make up for his good offensive power and speed.
jasta85

Postby GunCastor » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:25 pm

Do you have grimmoires that do damage? If so you, you can hurt and close it before Eskatia makes it night again. Soul Cards that damage the opponent's side of the field does the same thing. Just beware of Succubus Opening Skills though.
GunCastor

Postby jasta85 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:39 pm

he said the endless night deck used didnt use eskatia and to be honest there are so many things that can kill eskatia now anyway.

you said you didnt want to give away his strategy but can you tell his first 3 moves? i'm guessing fenrir out first turn when it's night, then a succubus or something out right after to make it night again, then letting the succy die to let a combat magic doll card make it night again, or something like that.
jasta85

Postby Phades » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:42 pm

Souldier wrote:Yesterday I ran into a really wicked Lawtia file which was able to constantly make it nighttime (not gonna say how in case that person doesn't want it revealed; mind you it wasn't Estalia). Under these conditions, Wolfman was nigh unstoppable with his 40 ATK, 5 speed and ability to hit two people at once.

GunCastor wrote:Do you have grimmoires that do damage? If so you, you can hurt and close it before Eskatia makes it night again. Soul Cards that damage the opponent's side of the field does the same thing. Just beware of Succubus Opening Skills though.

It would be succubus and magic doll melee SS keeping it night, with the succubus or shade going to the graveyard to trigger the SS, since he didn't mention use of esketia specifically.

Fenrir outclasses leonardo and the others in a manner that really isn't able to be compared properly. Only one opening unit i can think of has a hope of standing up to him, blitz soldier. That is a rather risky opening move sometimes and not a viable strategy for all spheres. It can't be returned by an opening witch either, due to turn 2 shade play (night is automatic following opening) and 3rd turn would be succubus to keep the night chain going. Grimoire wise, fire arrow is overkill and salamander is too weak and there really isn't much middle ground to be had between the two. Even if he was able to setup a salamander soldier, he would need a blocker(s) for him and force the use of salamanders in tandem with his auto 10 damage auto skill. Otherwise, it would be a rush to level 7+ for appropriate "beefy" targets and simply sacrificing LP for that rush to high gowen levels isn't always a smart move.

Fenrir is definitely a force multiplier under the proper circumstances. I know i haven't really provided a valid solution for it, because endless night is something i struggle with as well regardless of the deck i play.
Phades

Postby angelatheist » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:56 pm

put only a single unit in the front row against [Fenrir] that way it can't hit two units at once. Then use ranged units to kill it until it dies. The lawtia player will eventually run out of sp, especially if they keep playing units.
angelatheist

Postby Porky » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:22 pm

I think I've vsed that deck before, i'm surprised so few people run it. It absolutely destroys gowen=(
"Talking to you is like having a period." -Toradora.
Porky

Postby Souldier » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:31 pm

People seem to misunderstand how the deck made night infinite, so I guess I have to devulge some of its secrets. I don't remember everything, but I believe it went something like this...

1st turn: Shade
2nd turn: Moonlight Warrior
3rd turn: Wolfie, no SS activated from the Shade dying.
4th turn: Sucubus, making it night.

So so far, if I'm not mistaken, he has the super Wolfie, his tanked Warrior, and 2 SP in case something goes wrong and kills Wolfie.

5th turn: Placed Succubus in the front lines, and played another one. I hit the Succy (of course) while Wolfie got some use outta those jaw bones.
6th turn is where it gets hazy; I think he had enough SP for the other new Lyco (called Scylia or something). Anywho, Succy died, revealing... Solar Prince / Vellart! So he got his Succy back, one more SP for reviving stuff, along with the SP from Succy's death. You might be thinking: this would be the perfect time to kill his units, except Wolfie killed all my precious, front-range Gowen manly men! Besides, he had the SP to revive them even if I did manage to kill them. Eventually I was able to kill his other Succy (of COURSE! xD), which died revealing a Ruby Carbuncle. Thus, he was able to create 'eternal night' by retrieving his Succy's and reusing them as meat shields. (BTW, sorry if I suck at descriptions)

Maybe I just plain sucked that match, but I think the point is clear that Wolfie completly dominates things in that kind of deck.
The quickest way to a man's heart is through his stomach; be sure to stab with an upwards motion!
Souldier

Postby jasta85 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:43 pm

ah, i see what you are talking about, the guy played his cards in a rather odd order, bringing out the shade first means he wasted the first night turn. but his basic tactic seems to be to bring out a succubus to make it night, have it die, maybe have another one die, then use solar prince or carbuncle to bring back cards from the graveyard (while giving him SP in the process) so he can play them again.

it's an interesting strategy, not exactly what i was thinking of when you said endless night. i can see how it can work, but it rely's a bit on luck, for instance if your opponent manages to kill off other creatures aside from the succubusses first then they will be brought back instead and the soul power might go off before you succubusses die. however if you plan it out right it can work. i wouldnt say this is an endless night strategy since you are relying on just 3 cards to supply your night times and you have to hope you are dealing enough damage before your opponent can start hitting back. people with mass damage dealing soul cards can also hurt this strategy.

but anyway, a true endless night deck can have straight night time for about 9 consecutive turns (without eskatia) although it means setting up a very specific order and having 3 of several types of cards. unforunately i'm short on many of those cards right now so i only have a part time night deck.
jasta85

Postby Forsakensoul » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:07 pm

assassin in your soul cards? Hi! target wolfie awww
Forsakensoul

Next

Return to Alteil General Discussion