UO Tournament: The Battle for Avalon

Everything that doesn't go anywhere else.

UO Tournament: The Battle for Avalon

Postby kitsunekit » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:16 pm

The Battle for Avalon
An unofficial storyline tournament sponsored by the Council of Nerds.

The battle has started! Go to the week 1 page for more information and do not reply to this thread please; I won't be checking it ^_~

http://www.alteil.com/forum/index.php?f ... =viewtopic

The battle for the sacred island begins next week! This event blends dueling, strategy and story in a way that is sure to please both casual and hardcore Alteil players. Events that occur in this story are not part of the official story, akin to a fiction. But they will have lasting effects on future UO tournaments.

Entrance Fee: None! This tournament is completely free and open. You do not enter through the tournament tab, but by replying to this and the other threads (read below).

Time Frame: ~10 Weeks (if Falkow wins more, the number of spheres on the island will become more apparent, and therefore the number of weeks it will take in total to complete the tournament will become more apparent).

Prizes: Prizes will vary by week, but will most likely be Gran in the form of direct paypal payments to the winners (unless they don't want to give out their e-mail of course). The winner of each week is determined by the most number of wins in the sphere (see below) with the most points that week. Prizes will be given at the end of all the mini-tournaments based on categories chosen by the guild.

File Restrictions: Players must choose a single sphere to "represent" in the tournament. They may change their sphere only twice during the tournament, special circumstances not withstanding. A player may not change spheres if doing so would violate the "player restrictions" rule. Their sphere must represent a majority of the spheres used in an average game. For example, a Refess player may use some Lawtia cards, but his file must be composed of primarily Refess cards and Refess should be the sphere he puts the most points in. If you have any questions regarding what sphere you would be classified in, please PM me immediately and we can set up a practice match. In some cases, you can be eligible for two or more spheres, but its highly unlikely given the current game environment.

Player Restrictions: Players cannot join if their sphere has two more players than the sphere with the lowest number of players. They are encouraged to find people in the arena playing the lowest sphere and join the tournament. This is to promote balance between the spheres. Starting members of the Council of Nerds cannot gain personal points, but may play to gain points for their sphere (as they are all IRL friends, there's really no reason to give them anything anyways ;P).

Currently Needed:(as of 3:29 PST 08/17) Gowen and Refess need 1 more each before Lawtia can get another player . Falkow can only have 1 more player until Gowen and Refess each get a player. Check posts made after this last update--they supersede this (and I'll try to edit this at least once a day).

Tournament Structure: Tournaments will take place in one week event structures, starting on Monday at Midnight, and ending the next Saturday at Midnight. There will be no tournament matches on Sunday. The first tournament (assuming we get enough players) will be 9/22/2008. Participants should message one another with their spheres in advance (if your opponent has no idea what your talking about when you tell them your sphere in the tournament or ask them if they are in the tournament, they can always sign up too). The winner of the match must post that they won, when they won and who they beat, including their sphere and their opponent's sphere. Matches can be checked via battle ID and the arenas will all have members of the council checking them out at various times.

Story: During the great war, the four gods of Lavato bestowed upon the human races an island fortress known as Avalon. Unlike other cities in the world, this city was equal in magic resources and alignment to each of the four spheres--a place where Refess, Gowen, Falkow and Lawtia can put aside their differences and fight for the greater good of Lavato. During the war, however, the island mysteriously sank beneath the sea and was considered lost forever. Years after the war, the island has finally submerged, revealing its broken cityscape to the world. A group of six archaeologists begun to explore the island, eventually stumbling upon a small sphere (roughly the size of a small bead). The first archaeologist to hold the bead found himself immediately attuned to not only that bead, but a portion of the island. A fraction of the island seemed to come back to life, re-establishing itself to best suit that individual. Unfortunately, the kingdoms of Latavo quickly learned of this news and, realizing that this island was originally a weapon that can even rival that of the mightiest Dragons and Angels, craved its power. They learned it could be attuned to whoever got the most of these small spheres--spheres that will slowly reveal themselves as the island begins to repair itself after years of disrepair. Each faction wants a portion of the power the island has to offer...but at price will this new treasure cost all of Latavo?

Sphere War: The sphere with the most victories at the end of each week will also determine how the island layout will change (including what portions of the city will belong to each faction). As of now, only the exact center of the round island has been "attuned" to the neutral archaeologist, and serves as a semi-neutral city in which all iczers can go and be relatively safe. Each sphere war effect that takes place will reshape the island given the goals of the respective spheres, and will effect the future events that will take place on the island (including the appearance of tournaments that rely on more than just winning at Alteil to succeed, and special tournament conditions each sphere has to overcome).

;a38
Extended Research: If Falkow wins, a portion of the story regarding the power of the facility will be uncovered. Also, the last 3 Falkow territories will be immune to the effects of other sphere war effects for 1 week.

;a39
Delve into Madness: If Lawtia wins, two enemy posts will change--their former stations crumbling into madness and reforming somewhere else, causing certain chaos to ensue on the island as rival factions suddenly find themselves adjacent to one another.

;a40
Thirst for War: If Gowen wins, two rival faction's cities will move (as per the Delve into Madness effect) to be adjacent to one another. The rival factions in this case are Falkow vs. Gowen and Lawtia vs. Refess.

;a41
Law and Order: If Refess wins a weekly event, they may move two of their city blocks closer towards the rest of their blocks, exchanging the blocks with rival city blocks as needed as they attempt to centralize the control of the island.

Current Participants for Week 1 (08/22-08/27):
((We happily accept more participants; there is no cut off date; You can even join after the event starts.))

Iczers with (Training Room) by their name will only participate in this event in the training room. They should name rooms for this event something to do with this event, but technically don't have to <3.

;a38
Guncaster
Romdeau
FriedTofu

;a39
Candi
ANIMEniac
Kyokaze
Xovian (training room)

;a40
LegendsEnd (Name: Median)
Porky\
JudeBlack

;a41
Justice
Dearest Night
Maniac Soul (Training Only)

Rule Clarification: All above rules are subject to change depending on the needs of the tournament and/or the story developments of the tournament.

Post Structure and Sign-ups: Each week a new post will be made on Saturday night or Sunday explaining the rules of that week's tournament. Players are to respond with their sphere color and username (they may use the sphere emotes if they want). Player lists will be updated on the first post of the thread throughout the week. A player must sign up each week, even if they participated in past tournaments. You may sign up in this thread for the first week of the tournament. Please follow all the above rules, and read them c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y.

This event is UO (Unofficial). It is not sponsored, judged, endorsed or related in anyway by/to the staff of the Alteil.
Last edited by kitsunekit on Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:40 am, edited 10 times in total.
kitsunekit

Re: UO Tournament: The Battle for Avalon

Postby Grain » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:02 pm

How can wins be tallied?

There's no way to view duels.

If I & hunthunthunt fought, we could both say we won.
Grain

Postby kitsunekit » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:11 pm

0.) We hope that iczers will not cheat. In a small way it is part of the honor system (see the below). So far I've had no problems in the alteil community and although, given mass expansion of our popularity and player build, we may see something like this, I'm hoping a system will come into place to eliminate these problems.

1.) Battle IDs can be used if we feel the need to call upon a favor from our gracious GMs to determined who won.

2.) In those conditions, the player claiming they won who actually lost would be banned from all future events.

3.) We had a screenshot rule (forced screenshot to be posted BEFORE even the first turn of a duel, and then the winner posts one at the end), but too many people immediately backlashed against the idea. Setting up more restrictions actually usually leads to more problems (photoshopping, etc...).

4.) Since you don't lose points from losing and only risk being banned and (at least from myself and probably other members of my guild) blacklisted as a negativ and over competitive player (plus a cheater and sore loser), the long term penalties easily outweigh +1 points to your record in this tournament.

5.) If you and hunthunthunt both claimed victory, battle IDs could not be found and etc..., you'd both be warned and put on a list. If you do it repetitive times (which is the only way you could hope to get ahead in the tournament) or it happens in future council of nerd events, you will be more closely monitored and/or even asked to leave our events for some time (if not permanently).

6.) If something like this occurs in one of the weeks of the tournament, we can implement the screen shot rules later in the tournament.
kitsunekit

Postby Grain » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:31 pm

kitsunekit wrote:5.) If you and hunthunthunt both claimed victory, battle IDs could not be found and etc..., you'd both be warned and put on a list. If you do it repetitive times (which is the only way you could hope to get ahead in the tournament) or it happens in future council of nerd events, you will be more closely monitored and/or even asked to leave our events for some time (if not permanently).

A second person could lie about hunthunthunt cheating out of spite, getting him kicked out of the tournament.
Grain

Postby kitsunekit » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:03 pm

Its unlikely. And by then we'd probably ask for GMs to look up the result of matches via battle ID, in which case this person would be kicked out and on the cheater-list :P

Besides, its not that black-and-white. A lot of it is dependent on the situation. And either way, this is just a way to test whether or not unofficial tournaments will work, and whether or not the ethics of Alteil are up to par with other games of its callibur (L5R, etc...).

If there is any problem, I'll probably ask for some screenshots from that person. If there are any more problems, I'll probably force that person to do screenshots before their duel continues past turn 1, then screenshot at half LP and then screenshot at end game.

But let us cross that bridge when we get to it, k? Right now I'm just hoping people will sign up <_<' And this tournament is, in many ways, a test.

By the way, you can usually find me in chat about 3-5 hours a day if you have any questions.
kitsunekit

Postby Grain » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:16 pm

kitsunekit wrote:Its unlikely. And by then we'd probably ask for GMs to look up the result of matches via battle ID, in which case this person would be kicked out and on the cheater-list :P

Are you sure GM's are allowed to do that?
Grain

Postby kitsunekit » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:24 pm

Yeah, they can...but it takes a long time as they have to do it manually. But the fact they can should be enough (along with the integrity of the players; honestly, who would cheat at such a small tournament like this?).

And if everyone started cheating, yes the tournament would be called off and no one would get anything. But honestly--why play if you don't want it to happen? And personally I'd rather know who is so distrustful and spiteful that they'd ruin my and another group of player's fun so I can avoid them in the future >_>' I don't think there are that many mean spirited (and bored :P) players in Alteil. I just haven't met anyone in Alteil yet who I'd see do such a thing to an otherwise awesome game.
kitsunekit

Postby Grain » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:27 pm

kitsunekit wrote:Yeah, they can...but it takes a long time as they have to do it manually. But the fact they can should be enough (along with the integrity of the players; honestly, who would cheat at such a small tournament like this?).

I've encountered a high level person in the Folrart arena several times.

When this person is obviously losing, their last turn before kicking the bucket has always taken close to 5 minutes for them to decide.

There are those among us with a bad sense of sportsmanship.

Beware!
Grain

Postby Porky » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:02 pm

Don't beat around the bush, we all know who you mean grain, heh.
"Talking to you is like having a period." -Toradora.
Porky

Postby Romdeau » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:25 pm

Porky wrote:Don't beat around the bush, we all know who you mean grain, heh.

I'm really tempted to flame him sometimes, but I fear retribution from the moderators of this forum-thus, I will remain silent and say I resent his expected 5 minute "pu pu" period.
Romdeau

Next

Return to Alteil General Discussion