Refess: One Trick Pony?

Everything that doesn't go anywhere else.

Re: Refess: One Trick Pony?

Postby Romdeau » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:01 am

EvilGenius wrote:I said it before... Refess may have the HP advantage, but not by much (like 5 HP?). Compare Folrart Paladin to a ranked up Revolver Knight.

That's a bad example-Folart and Revolver have the same AGI and Folart gets +10 df as an auto skill.
Romdeau

Postby DWildstar » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:51 am

EvilGenius wrote:I said it before... Refess may have the HP advantage, but not by much (like 5 HP?). Compare Folrart Paladin to a ranked up Revolver Knight.

True, but Revolver Knight ranked up is more expensive and also that 5 extra HP means that he can survive a Brave Soldier/Panther Soul combo. Same goes for the Spiked Shield Soldier with 55 HP and 10 DEF. :D
DWildstar

Postby kitsunekit » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:28 am

Rank-up overall is a bit of a broken system, even more-so with the Gowen +3 SC. Wait 2-3 turns, even play an explosive spore just for the -1 SC on purpose, and suddenly you have the best units (for the cost) in the game x_x Getting to sphere level 9 is not as hard as the game wants you to think it is. Even if it does take a few turns (actually, it takes 3 turns if you don't count soul card combos like the one posted above; otherwise it takes 2 turns and you have more SP).

But Gowen IS the sphere for playing a bunch of creatures. Refess wants to be this sphere (it wants it bad), as you might see by all the healing and all the units that buff each other up (especially the True God Church units).

Although its more fun to play Refess swarm since you can yell "NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!"
kitsunekit

Postby arfort » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:48 am

At the end of set 1 almost all of the top players were basically playing the same Gowen file. The truth is, at any time in this kinda of game there's never really more than 2-3 decks that are viable at a time or what people in other games may call tier 1. Basically tier 1 is your top of the line most viable stuff, tier 2 is the good stuff that doesn't quite cut it but that might be worth running if it's effective against a popular tier 1 deck and tier 3 are cards that just aren't exceptional. Like the type 2 wizard deck in the odyssey-onslaught format. Totally great deck that would take control of the board really easily but had to put a lot of 1 toughness creatures in play to do it and the format included a card that did 1 damage to all creatures when you cycled it so it single handily made the wizard deck unplayable. Everything else is unplayable and would only show up in combo decks. Best example of that would be illusion of grandeur in magic. Comes into play gives you 20 life, leaves play takes 20 life away, cumulative upkeep. Totally unplayable. Add in donate, where you give one of your permanent to another player it becomes gain 20 life, then your opponent will lose 20 life.
Anyway, my point is that at best you get in a rock/paper/scissor situation where you have a few decks that are viable because x beats y that beats w that beats x and it's not possible for every faction to be as good as all the other factions all the time. The power between the factions will shift every set.
arfort

Postby ManiacalSoul » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:06 am

Breakdown of the RP top 10 at the end of Set 1:
4 Gowen
3 Falkow
3 Lawtia

Not so bad... relatively balanced..., acutally, in the RP top 5 it was :
1 Gowen
2 Falkow
2 Lawtia

tho when u go into the top 20 and the breakdown looks like this:

11 gowen
5 falkow
4 lawtia

ManiacalSoul

Postby EvilGenius » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:48 am

ManiacalSoul wrote:Breakdown of the RP top 10 at the end of Set 1:
4 Gowen
3 Falkow
3 Lawtia

Not so bad... relatively balanced..., acutally, in the RP top 5 it was :
1 Gowen
2 Falkow
2 Lawtia

tho when u go into the top 20 and the breakdown looks like this:

11 gowen
5 falkow
4 lawtia

Maybe Refess will make it into the top 20 this set. ;th2
EvilGenius

Postby ManiacalSoul » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:56 pm

Well... i just ran into one extremely highly ranked refess player.
ManiacalSoul

Postby Grain » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:07 pm

ManiacalSoul wrote:Well... i just ran into one extremely highly ranked refess player.

That doesn't mean they got to such a high rank using Refess.

I win the most using Coatl, but, sometimes I like to play around with my other cards.

Are you saying this one person is proof that Refess is completely fine and everyone else just needs to learn to play?
Grain

Postby ManiacalSoul » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:13 pm

Grain wrote:
ManiacalSoul wrote:Well... i just ran into one extremely highly ranked refess player.

That doesn't mean they got to such a high rank using Refess.

I win the most using Coatl, but, sometimes I like to play around with my other cards.

Are you saying this one person is proof that Refess is completely fine and everyone else just needs to learn to play?

Said player was on a 20 game streak and claimed to have done it all using refess...
ManiacalSoul

Postby Grain » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:42 pm

ManiacalSoul wrote:Said player was on a 20 game streak and claimed to have done it all using refess...

Were they not using high level cards?
Grain

PreviousNext

Return to Alteil General Discussion