Basic Set vs. Expansion 1

Everything that doesn't go anywhere else.

Basic Set vs. Expansion 1

Postby Illyasviel » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:51 pm

Alright, trying to decide which one I want to get a booster box of, once I have enough. (About a third of the way there right now.)

I'm a Lawtia player, and I really liked the Lycan deck I made with the all card tourney this last weekend. I only have about 6 of the cards used in it, though. The majority of the cards were from the expansion, but there were a few from the basic set as well.

So which sould I go for? I REALLY want to get at least one Annarose, and Eskatia would be VERY useful. But the new Lycans, as well as Dalos and Alphonce, are very tempting. So which should I go for first? (Leaning towards Basic, but what are the odds I'd actually get the cards I want?)
Illyasviel

Re: Basic Set vs. Expansion 1

Postby DWildstar » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:05 pm

Illyasviel wrote:Alright, trying to decide which one I want to get a booster box of, once I have enough. (About a third of the way there right now.)

I think actually set 2 would be better because you'll have a better chance of getting more lycanthropes (which are 1 or 2 star), succubus which is a 1 star and magic doll melee which can also change it to night time which is also a 2 star rare.

The set 1 cards you cited are rare and less likely to be in a box if you buy one. And since you'll want multiple to be effective, even if you get one from a box you won't be much closer to making a deck like that.
DWildstar

Postby DanTheTimid » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:32 pm

I agree with DWildstar, unfortunately Endless Night, at least a top tier one, is a card file that can only be created by the excessively wealthy. Having 3 Eskatia is essential to make a top tier Endless Night, and as a 5 star even if you bought 8 boxes on average you'd only pull a single Eskatia.

That said, you CAN make a still fun and respectable endless night deck without Eskatia, and most of the cards for such a watered down weaker endless night deck appear in set 2 and appear as 1 or 2 stars so its not unfeasible that you could get enough to make some sort of endless night deck from a single box.

Unfortunately because of the games lack of single card sales as well as lack of trading, you really shouldn't get your hopes set on any given strategy. Its really annoying, but the reality is that because of how cards are given out only a trandom, you can't expect to be able to make anything, you can only do your best to make something good out of what you have.

For example when set 2 was announced I had a deck planned that only hinged on my getting sets of a handful of 1 and 2 star units from set 2, and a single copy of a 3 star grimoire. I bought about 4 boxes of set 2 with the intent of making that deck... and yet I still can't. One of the key 2 star rare cards I needed 3 of I only managed to pull 1 of, another 2 star I managed to pull only 2 of, and as for that 3 star I wanted, I pulled 0 of them. It sucked, but all I could do was figure out a completely different card file to make based on what I did pull.

So yeah, if you want to try endless night I think luck favors you better with a box of set 2, but I think you really should look at both sets as a whole and determine which set overall has more cards you want at all levels of rarity so that even if you don't get what your hoping for, what you do get is still something you don't mind having.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby Illyasviel » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:02 pm

Yeah, I had supposed as much. I'll never give up on my main goal, get at least one card of Annarose, regardless of what deck I'll be playing at the time, but yeah, I suppose maybe look at the cards I have, and what all is available to get, and go from there, that would probably be best. I had gotten a Phimilar, Thunderbolt and Wasseir, so my options aren't terribly limited. I guess set 2 it is.

Does anyone know if the rarity balance is still screwed up for set 2? Last I heard, like Dan said, it seems the whole rarity balance is off for that set. In which case I probably wouldn't bother with getting an entire box, even though it means an extra 8 or 9 days of Mirage Master.
Illyasviel

Postby DanTheTimid » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:41 pm

Its not screwed up (to my knowledge), that's just the way packs/boxes are in card games. It just stands out more in Alteil because in other card games once you've gotten a decent number of boxes you can just buy/trade your extras for the singles your still missing. In alteil your forced to just keep buying randomly selected cards and hoping to get lucky. Whats more in other card games you don't generally NEED 3 of a card to play it, in Alteil most units/characters require you to have 3 of them or you might as well not have any at all as far as playability is concerned. These 2 factors combine to result in the all to real likelihood of situations like mine occurring.

Still just cause luck wasn't on my side doesn't mean it won't be on yours. Although if the most important thing to you is not making endless night but getting anna rose then you probably should go with set 1, no guarentee you'll get her but I'd wager your odds of pulling atleast one of her are better then your odds of being able to make a quality endless night card file out of a single box of set 2.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby Illyasviel » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:34 pm

That's not what I meant. From what I've heard, you're pretty much guaranteed to get one 5-star card in a Base set booster box. (As for if it's possible to get more than that, not sure.) But I also read people's results for the expansion, and sometimes they didn't get any 5-stars at all. So I had gotten the impression that the new rarity collation was a little iffy. Maybe that was just a result of me reading the wrong combination of posts or something, then.

And yeah, those two goals are pretty much tied right now. I want Annarose because she's the reason I chose Lawtia in the first place, she is sort of my one ultimate goal in this game. Whereas getting a somewhat competitive Endless Night deck is the means to that end. If I have a better deck, I can possibly go up in level faster, and have a better chance of a card like hers being a level up reward. (For what it's worth, I just hit level 6 this last week. I'm taking my time, only playing the one game a week, really dragging out my time in Crest before I go into the killing fields that are Folrart.)

And speaking of level up rewards, does anyone know if you can only get base set cards for level up? Like I said, I had just hit level six, but all four cards were from Base set. Not a problem, overall, but somewhat disappointing. All four were 2-stars, which seemed about right for level six rewards. Has anyone else's rewards been only Base set, or were there expansion cards in them, too?
Illyasviel

Postby Candi » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:52 pm

My last level up reward on my low level account included a mix of set 1 and set 2 cards.
And my main account's most recent level up (20) gave me choice between a mix of set 1 and set 2 cards.

It is possible to get set 2 cards in there, but it's randomized so of course its possible to get all set 1 or all set 2 or a mix of them.

As for set 2 boxes, I have purchased 3 and got 5 Stars in all three.
Candi

Postby Illyasviel » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:37 pm

Ah, okay, that makes me feel much better about the overall state of things. If everything had been random to the point of no 5-star guarantee, I'd have felt rather miffed. Likewise for not having an opportunity for set 2s through level up. But thankfully that was just my own typical overreaction.
Illyasviel

Postby DanTheTimid » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:50 am

Just to further confirm, I have bought 3 physical boxes of set 2, and then another box's worth in individual packs, all 3 of my boxes came with one 5 star and one 4 star (actually one came with two 4 stars, that was quite the box... or maybe the other boxes were unlucky, I'm not sure, either way didn't have a box come with out 5 star) however I didn't get any 5 stars in my box worth of packs.

So if you want 5 stars, boxes are definitely the way to go, and they do seem to be guaranteed exactly one 5 star.
DanTheTimid

Return to Alteil General Discussion