when do we get pirates?

Everything that doesn't go anywhere else.

when do we get pirates?

Postby jasta85 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:50 pm

this is partly a question about future sets, but it has to do with the character card Pirate King / Don Rido. He's very unpredictable and while i suppose you could make a fun deck with him for the most part he doesnt help very much as his stats are nothing special for a level 4 card and he hurts/helps your opponent just as much as he does you. he is supposed to work very well with other pirate cards but as far as i know there are no other pirate cards.

i recycled the first 2 don rido's i got but then after i got my 3rd i thought, maybe pirates might actually start coming out soon. so, any idea how many sets we have to wait before pirates start showing up, cause it would be nice to start using this guy.
jasta85

Re: when do we get pirates?

Postby Candi » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:04 pm

No idea how many sets until Pirates, but he does make nasty combination with Renally and Alna. You pack your file with those two, and a heavy stack of grims - you see for Dub Rido to not help your opponent you need to kill 2+ units a turn. By having less units then he does the odds of Rub a Dub Rido hurting you are low, and since your front liner already has DF (Renally) the damage is often negligible.

Renally's power allows her to slap most units down in a heartbeat and using a Grim every turn or so also will knock a unit down, the occasional Rido Luck and wham bam you're slowly and steadily clearing the field. For the endgame finally you bring out Alna, who will be powered by a TON of grimoires you've already cast to be able to wack a mole anything that's left.

Another note about Dub Rido that I am sad to not see - he's an awesome late game SS. For 2 SP he can bring up the rear and guarantee *at least* 30 damage (not to shabby) but usually much more - because you see there is always a late game SP surge as your bigger units fall, and your file begins to dwindle in size. Except in special cases you will see around 90-130 damage coming from that awesome SS.

If you play a file that builds up SP early you can always run it as an early SS to take advantage of your build up and slap down anything you want that's potentially going to ruin your big play.

It's an SS that needs more use! An SS that has earned me victories many times!
Candi

Postby jasta85 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:18 pm

i was thinking of combos using his return from the graveyard ability, however i unfortunately only have no renally's and only 1 alna. i think he would be very good splashed with lawatia or gowen, or heck even refuss if you want to give your units buffs.

on the other hand he's also giving your opponent back his cards, which, if you're playing against some decks (dalos or holy dragon/coatl) is not very desireable as he'll probably be getting back cards he can use.

but i was just curious as pirates since his rule specifically mentions them and i just see it as rather odd that he is released in a set where there are no other pirates.
jasta85

Postby teasel » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:50 am

if you look at the japanese list you'll see there are only 3 other pirates and one of them is an EX card
teasel

Postby Romdeau » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:33 pm

Argh matey, where b me pirates?! (Insert pirate emoticon)
Romdeau

Return to Alteil General Discussion