Advice needed

The forum for video captured battles

Advice needed

Postby Puff » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:58 pm

This is a match between ;a38 and ;a39 ,both files have the EX 6 set in them.

https://login.alteil.com/auditorium/index.php?id=997998&code=1dea150488617b6345d99f1f1cef4a66

Can anyone give me advice or suggestion to improve my gameplay? Also what cards i should get in the future?
Puff

Re: Advice needed

Postby Gota » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:14 pm

Either make your last soul a 3LP and then 1LP every other slot, or make the last 2 souls 2LP and 1LP every other slot.
Putting a 2LP in the second slot isn't really good for these rush style decks. It weirdly worked out in this game because you messed up your open, which led you to lose 3x copies of rapier and wiz soldier so early in the game.
Generally in these rush type decks you want help to gain field control WHILE you still have units on the field, that means using 1LP souls early, because if you can get help early, you can turn the tables back around in your control early. If you try to turn it too late, you might not have enough units to back it up, and you will not be able to turn that table at all even with soul skills, thats when the game has already 'ended'

You should have opened wiz soldier->song sorceress->rapier fencer, with wiz soldier and fencer both in the front row. That way your rapier wouldn't have died so quick and you would have been able to kill off something of the opponent's every turn. It would have at least been a coin toss for AGI, but as the way you played, there was no AGI roll at all, both his monsters went before your rapier did anything.

I would not advise putting 1 range units next to Foveontsa in the second row, because Foveontsa only has 40HP, if a soul skill or something takes him out, your range 1 unit next to it can't attack that turn. You opponent put 2 of your monsters 'out of commission' that turn with only 1 skill. 2birds with 1 stone. You could get away with it if the range 1 unit is 1AGI, if your opponent kills off your front row, and you can attack with the 1agi 1 range unit, but not really with wiz soldier 3agi. You could probably try wiz archer, Foveontsa getting her to 50AT and 4rng pinpoint will be very very scary.
Logress wrote:Gota: I just looked at your lottery logs... I officially declare you the most unlucky man on earth.
Gota

Postby Zanador » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:50 pm

I think you played well mid and late game, but after the first 6-7 rounds, i was nearly sure that you'd lose the match...

First of all, listen to Geta.

Second: in this particular case, i think i would have played Wizard soldier - Song sorc - Sea hunter. This is a really old opening style, so its not a good idea in most cases, then why now? Because your opponent didnt summon anything on the first turn, so you could play Song sorc without risking her death and losing an SP there. Wizard soldier + Sea hunter on the front row doesnt guarantee you a kill like a won agi roll with Song+Fencer does, but one of your frontliners would be able to revive for free, and the other could take 2 hits from 30 AT without getting killed (thus still be able to attack or rest if needed, and with resting, surviving another hit, which can be huge. no other unit in your deck could take 3 hits in this match and live).

What are the other advanages of this opening? Well, your deck basically has a half Wizard Kingdom hidden inside it, so in the best case scenario, you'd have Mage Knight, Fencer and Song sorc on the field at the same time to give you the core of the field. Summoning Song sorc ahead of the others isnt a huge problem, because she is quite well protected, and even if she dies too many times, Mage knight + Fencer is a decent combo already. If you have them out on the field, summoning Foveontsa and Sorcerer monk gives you a fearsome second line. Well, i myself dont like to summon Sorcerer monk on the front row anyway, and Foveontsa + Mage knight buff can turn her into a real killer, and you dont even depent on her double strike skill to deal damage. So in my opinion Sea hunter isnt an essential part of the mid-late gama plans so it may be a good idea to summon it before your core units.

From another point of view:
The main force of your deck is made of lvl3 units, and furthermore, you are playing a rush-style deck, so you want lvl3 units on the field, and want it fast. While Iczering this early on might still be wise sometimes, keep in mind that your tight SP management gets hurt a lot by that lost SP, even if you only lost 1, not 2 since you could revive for free. You just cant play a lvl3 unit on the 3rd turn after Wizard soldier and Song sorc if you iczer.
Something must be wrong with me. I'm giving advices to someone i should kill.
Zanador

Postby garcia1000 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:26 pm

Unless you know what his first SS is, don't iczer on the first turn. You need that SP to set more guys.
"Pixies are all level 2, right? So why not try to drop cyclone on them?"
garcia1000

Postby imortal12233 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:36 pm

garcia1000 wrote:Unless you know what his first SS is, don't iczer on the first turn. You need that SP to set more guys.

agreed. either that or you are gowen rush using kurinamander open, which is fine too :D.
but generally, unless you know your opponent's first SS is a buff SS, or a damage SS that would be more problematic later on, don't bother iczering it.
Needs a new sig, but haven't come up with one.
So here is a message about how I need a new sig but haven't come up with one :D
imortal12233

Postby Puff » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:04 pm

Thanks for the advice guys, taken it into concideration and changed my file a-bit ;th2
Just keep the advice coming :lol:

imortal12233 wrote:
garcia1000 wrote:Unless you know what his first SS is, don't iczer on the first turn. You need that SP to set more guys.

agreed. either that or you are gowen rush using kurinamander open, which is fine too :D.
but generally, unless you know your opponent's first SS is a buff SS, or a damage SS that would be more problematic later on, don't bother iczering it.

80% of the time it's a damage or buff SS so I just felt like getting it out of the way since soldier doesn't take any sp to revive
Puff

Postby imortal12233 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:11 pm

basically there are 2 conditions to early iczering, meeting any of them is fine:
1) you know their SS and it's: i) buff ii) one that only acts on disengaged units (girl combat priest, for example)
2) you are playing a rush file that focuses on lvl 2s, and so can deal with being behind by 1 sp (fierte rushes, for example)

you didn't meet either. your file isn't focused around lvl 2s and you didn't know what your opponent's SS was (you could have assumed it wasn't a 30/30 from the fact that he skipped). In fact, the fact that your opponent skiped meant it wasn't an SS which was problematic if it got iczered.
imortal12233

Postby Gota » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:12 pm

Due to the unique style of Alteil, which gives you your whole deck at your disposal, a first turn skip isn't an accident, its planned. So more often than not, they actually wants you to iczer.

In this case, it was a dmg SS that does not gain sp, which is pretty weird if you ask me. I think its because you both are beginner players, thats why you guys had such weird soul skills and play style. But in folrart, almost 90% of the time if its first turn skip, it will either be something that boosts his sphere level, or gives him SP, OR its a 3LP soul skill (most likely resources SS)

Anyways, as someone stated earlier, because your deck is a starter mod, which are lv3 rush style, fielding your units are important, that type of deck is a battle of who controls the field. So being down 1 SP so early can be detrimental to the rest of your game.
Logress wrote:Gota: I just looked at your lottery logs... I officially declare you the most unlucky man on earth.
Gota

Postby garcia1000 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:14 pm

Yes one of the hardest things for new players to understand is that 1SP is really critical, even more so for L3 decks.
That's why, for example, some people think Sweeping Tidalwave sucks, "omg, it costs two cards!" But it gives you 1SP for those two cards which is more than enough in the early game.
"Pixies are all level 2, right? So why not try to drop cyclone on them?"
garcia1000

Postby imortal12233 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:21 pm

garcia1000 wrote:Yes one of the hardest things for new players to understand is that 1SP is really critical, even more so for L3 decks.
That's why, for example, some people think Sweeping Tidalwave sucks, "omg, it costs two cards!" But it gives you 1SP for those two cards which is more than enough in the early game.

I actually used to think that card was OP... it returned my lvl 2s for 1 sp... (I ignored the lost card most of the time)
after actually playing with that card, I realized it's not OP, just very good..
imortal12233

Return to Extension's Video Library