Beginner, help me learn? Mid Gowen vs. SP Denial Undead

The forum for video captured battles

Re: Beginner, help me learn? Mid Gowen vs. SP Denial Undead

Postby Metanoia » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:10 am

Hi Pancakes, I agree. I playes a couple of matches yesterday and I can totally see now how damage Grims can shoot holes in (damaged) opposing lines. Especially if they have lots of synergy. Then you can break up their 'flow' and attack the left overs.

@ Garcia, I made the file exactly as you said and it does feel a lot better now. Matches were a lot closer and I really feel like I am competing now. (BTW I seem to remember a rather epic match against one of your fun files a while ago, do you mind if I post that?)

Despite all this I lost all but one of my games yesterday. The one I won was against a fellow level 20-something, but he only had a Gowen starter (a free player I guess) and I had the Gowen starter + Athira Shin. So not exactly an even match-up but still very satisfying somehow. I finally got to see Athira do what he is supposed to do: beastly rip through enemy lines. I enjoyed that :-)

In my other matches I made some errors that were even obvious to me. I'll post one game though, and again would like to know what you guys think:

(it is againts Falkow and it won't take a lot of your time ;-))

https://login.alteil.com/auditorium/ind ... 90b966fa5d

The Dragon Breath was a mistake (I forgot about Defense). But otherwise I don't really see where I went wrong...
"Impossible" only means it has never been done before.
Metanoia

Postby azurewrath » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:26 am

Don't iczer like that early. Knowing when to iczer comes with time. Don't use fire arrow till you have established a field. Fire Arrow generates SP disadvantage. Don't count on such a frail tank. I would actually use Dual in the beginning since I don't like Feline much at all. Feline might be better off as Highland to be a second front liner. Build a field better. Just go ahead and use spores second turn if you do rankup units in the early game.
azurewrath

Postby garcia1000 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:38 am

Sure, you can post the match!

About your replay -

SP is valuable in the early game, don't waste it on iczering unless you have a good reason. So T2 explode would be better than T2 iczer.
Fire arrow is a bad idea in the early game (T5), for the same reason. Your SP is valuable, use it to get out units instead.
Ditto for the T6 dragon breath. In the early game don't waste SP on grims.
I mean look at the situation on turn 7. He has three units on the field and you have nothing. If you use the fire arrow and dragon breath to set, for example, combat monk and dual axe wielder, that would be way better.
Ditto for the turn 8 BoF.

Well uh basically next game you should set more units instead of grims
"Pixies are all level 2, right? So why not try to drop cyclone on them?"
garcia1000

Postby Metanoia » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:21 pm

garcia1000 wrote:Sure, you can post the match!

Cool I wasn't sure if your file was secret. Here is the link:

https://login.alteil.com/auditorium/ind ... fbb963ccd6

If felt epic to me because I couldn't believe how often you revived that Magma Golem. On second look though I realize this is what the file is designed to do. I did have some luck with the way the attacks targeted. Pretty though struggle though. I really thought I had you there.

BTW keep in mind please that this video is with my old file with the double spore opening and without the grims.

I guess this one also really shows what you and Azurewrath have both pointed out above: when to Itzcer and when not. You would think I would have picked up on this after that first Skeleton Warrior SS, but nooooo........

:lol:
"Impossible" only means it has never been done before.
Metanoia

Postby Skorn » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:11 pm

Metanoia wrote:
garcia1000 wrote:Sure, you can post the match!

Cool I wasn't sure if your file was secret. Here is the link:

https://login.alteil.com/auditorium/ind ... fbb963ccd6

If felt epic to me because I couldn't believe how often you revived that Magma Golem. On second look though I realize this is what the file is designed to do. I did have some luck with the way the attacks targeted. Pretty though struggle though. I really thought I had you there.

BTW keep in mind please that this video is with my old file with the double spore opening and without the grims.

I guess this one also really shows what you and Azurewrath have both pointed out above: when to Itzcer and when not. You would think I would have picked up on this after that first Skeleton Warrior SS, but nooooo........

:lol:

Not bad. That Revolver King Shelby can be a pain eh? Too bad his card kept sending your units to the graveyard or you would have had that in the bag. Couldnt revive any of your units :lol:
"Life sucks, eat a pickle."
Skorn

Postby azurewrath » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:45 pm

Oh my, you ran right into his game. I definitely saw those skel warrior ss coming but you went right along with it :x. That and, as soon as you saw Shelby, you should have stopped iczering and packed 3 SP for Fire Arrow. If you see Shelby, expect a sylph either the next turn or the turn after (depending on how tricky they are). That and you could have won if you just saved the sp from 1 iczer to go into Shin's start. I'm sure there were some mistakes I saw in the beginning (like the random sala before a Sergis ss or the kill on Gorilla to revive rhino), but those seemed not horrible. The bad thing was playing right into the deck destruction ss.
azurewrath

Previous

Return to Extension's Video Library