Beginners Protection

User suggestions to improve the game

Beginners Protection

Postby angelspawns » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:26 pm

One of the big issues that get me thinking is how to decrease the learning curve. This is just another crazy idea regarding that: For a period of time new players get excluded from certain rules.
It's an idea that really has to sink in first. It doesn't sound right to teach a game by letting out rules. (or make up ones so it's easier to play) It isn't that uncommon though for complex games to have different stages.

Right now they have to worry about way to many things and get discouraged. Let them have fun first, get down with the most basic of things, and then introduce them to more complex gameplay. Slowly teach them to make choices with their SP and HP, instead of expecting them to immediatly evaluate the importance of it.
(eddited this into my main post, since i know there will be more controverse feelings about it)

On to the idea.

Beginners Arena. Lv0 Iczers only.
Welcome young Iczer! This is where you will start your journey. In this Arena you will slowly learn the basics of Alteil against NPC's.
[Beginners Protection = Maximum]
- Units heal to full after each turn.
- No revive costs.
- ?

Crest arena. Lv1~14 Iczers.
Ready for your next step into Alteil? Test your basic knowledge against others in this Arena. Each match will earn you a treasurebattle.
You will get all 4 StarterSets as reward when you reach lvl10.
[Beginners Protection = Medium]
- No revive cost
- ?

Folrart arena. All Iczers.
Be sure to wear your virginity belt, because this Arena will be full of vultures and rapists feasting off your flesh.
[Beginners Protection = Low]
- No revive costs, untill Iczer lv23.
- "Decline Match" option when RP difference is higher then 150, untill lv40.
- ?

It must be CLEARLY communicated a player is in BEGINNERS PROTECTION, so they can get used to the idea of losing said bonusses. They only have temporary advantages and will slowly have to learn how to play without 'restrictions'. Anyways, it's just something random to pound over.
If you know better/more suited beginner bonusses i gladly hear them!!!
I'm looking for more input how to lower the amount of stuff they have to worry about, so we can carefully introduce them to it.
Last edited by angelspawns on Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:21 pm, edited 5 times in total.
angelspawns

Re: Beginners Protection

Postby Aoi » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

I think the no revive costs, will hurt the beginner's more than help when it comes to getting used to the game, as they won't have a feel for sp flow, as they are free to just spam units and rev anything. It would also make the falkow starter probably the worst starter while in crest.

Edit: Forgot the hp healing thing, would make Refess probably the only thing being played in crest if that was added.
ImageImage
Aoi

Postby angelspawns » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:39 pm

Having a perfect understanding of SP flow is nice and vital, but expecting them to have it from T1 on is unrealistic. Won't they better understand the value of revive costs once they LOSE that free benefit?

Right now they have to worry about way to many things and get discouraged. Let them have fun first, get down with the most basic of things, and then introduce them to more complex gameplay. Slowly teach them to make choices with their SP and HP, instead of expecting them to immediatly evaluate the importance of it.
(eddited this into my main pst aswell, since i know there will be more controverse feelings about it)
It's an idea that really has to sink in first. It doesn't sound right to teach a game by letting out rules, or make up ones so it's easier to play. But it isn't uncommon though for complex games to have different stages.

As for HP i see your point. I first altered it to "units heal +10 HP at the end of each turn"... then i just removed it. It's something i like to see to make a newbies life easier, but not against eachother. It's protection against stronger Iczers like those they face in Folrart. (maybe....in Folrart when a low lvl iczer gets a bad matchup, beginner protection could activate. A popup saying "beginner protection ON - your units recieve +10HP after each turn". RP difference and Iczer lvl will determine the qualification)
angelspawns

Postby Scientiafide » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:42 pm

angelspawns wrote:Having a perfect understanding of SP flow is nice and vital, but expecting them to have it from T1 on is unrealistic. Won't they better understand the value of revive costs once they LOSE that free benefit?

(eddited this into my main pst aswell, since i know there will be more controverse feelings about it)
It's an idea that really has to sink in first. It doesn't sound right to teach a game by letting out rules, or make up ones so it's easier to play. But it isn't uncommon though for complex games to have different stages.

As for HP i see your point. I first altered it to "units heal +10 HP at the end of each turn"... then i just removed it. It's something i like to see to make a newbies life easier, but not against eachother. It's protection against stronger Iczers like those they face in Folrart. (maybe....in Folrart when a low lvl iczer gets a bad matchup, beginner protection could activate. A popup saying "beginner protection ON - your units recieve +10HP after each turn". RP difference and Iczer lvl will determine the qualification)

They will learn sp flow from playing with the system. Making them practice a different game system wont help them improve.

The main problem beginners have is simply a lack of opponents. Crest is often empty with no one to play with. Contrary to popular belief most beginners quit even before they get to folrart simply because there's usually no one to play with.

Scientiafide

Postby angelspawns » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:32 pm

If you say so... :/
angelspawns

Postby GonFreeces31 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:35 pm

Scientiafide wrote:They will learn sp flow from playing with the system.

When I used to play several years ago, most level 100 players did not even understand this, so I'm not really sure why you expect the average new player will just "get it."
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Postby Scientiafide » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:07 pm

GonFreeces31 wrote:
Scientiafide wrote:They will learn sp flow from playing with the system.

When I used to play several years ago, most level 100 players did not even understand this, so I'm not really sure why you expect the average new player will just "get it."

Gon strikes again I see. Good job ignoring the sentence right after that one btw :lol: What a troll

Scientiafide

Postby ErnnLaties » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:05 am

it's a 2 way street. As much as you want to help beginners advance, some veteran players, such as myself, really enjoy battling easy opponents. I like winning, and I really dislike constantly facing people with high levels or rare cards back to back to back (which is becoming the case in folart).

I remember when I first started in folart back when set 5 came out, and the most popular file everyone played was gowen rush or ex Lap. Times were good then... I don't like playing difficult opponents, but winning my first match as a n00b against players like worthing was what motivated me to stay, and even spend to collect pieces to make files.

the problem, isn't necessarily the system, but we don't have a big enough player base. With more fresh players, folart will become diluted with more players with small libraries of cards and weak files, thus promoting fun for everyone.

You can possibly remedy this, by having GMs play with weak files, or have alt accounts running with weak files meant to let us win. Or even put bots in folart that are like the NPCs.

And during collection events, you can throw in a free collector's card guaranteed in the lotto, and maybe even let us gain daily exp from dueling NPCs (maybe our first match of the day) or even training arena, so that people don't necessarily have to play in folart, to get exp to level up and try to get a rare card.

Also, the site could use a little work. I'm really looking forward to the supposed upgrades in tech coming in June :D the delay to get to the login screen really pisses me off right now (takes like 1-3 minutes to login after clicking login on the main page).
ErnnLaties

Postby Anima13 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:15 am

I find many things beginners could learn simply by batteling other beginners. This system worked before when crest was full. I remember that, I have been playing on several accounts just to learn this game. I have certainly been in crest for a month or so. When you keep loosing to other beginners Its more likely to accept, that you probably do something wrong, its more likely you ask for help, its more likely you start to watch others games to learn from them.

The issue is If I create a situation where beginners are playing in essence a different game the moment they face the real game they get much bigger problems then before, and experience the "hardcoreness" of folrart much more(so even higher frustration and probability to leave the game). This way the "beginner protection" would become an effective way to make beginners rage quit the moment the protection is lifted, nothing said about the lack of understanding we basically created with this system.

I absolutly agree that beginners need help to learn this game, but the key to this lays in playing and playing and especially playing with people with simmilar card pool.
Crest can do that. but crest has to be full for that.
My alternative solution to this issue Is already known to the community so I am not going to repeat it here again. Also when they make the advertisement push that should fill crest and solve this issue.
Anima13

Postby angelspawns » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:12 pm

Oh well, it was something i posted in the spur of the moment. I love the suggestion of putting NPC battles in Arena's, but i've gotten a nono on that idea from MysteryMan himself. (scripting NPC's would be to time consuming)

Thanks for the input every1.
angelspawns

Next

Return to Safiria's Planning Bureau