Lessons we could learn.

User suggestions to improve the game

Lessons we could learn.

Postby AngelicDeath » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:51 pm

Hi all,

I'll try to keep this short and concise. I got an update from GMT games, a board game decelopment and publishing company, a few days back. I used to be a subscriber to their quarterlymagazine and purchased dozens of their games. A few years back they had to do some restructuring, one of the employees took out a 2 nd mortgage on their home to save the company.
They adopted a strategy call P500. The general idea was that if they could get 500 buyers to commit to buy a game the the company would go ahead and develop and publish the game. That and their support of online boardgaming boxes for multiplayer play really saved them.

Here is a link to the current news update:

http://www.gmtgames.com/news.aspx?showarticle=232

Alteil US could learn a lesson from these guys. What I was wondering, are some of the successful practices adopted by a print and publish boardgame company applicable to Alteil?

For instance, could we have say a P 100 on a set for instance. Not really sure if that would work because we get sets at a semi annual rate. But, what if Alteil said, if we get (x) number of users to commit to buying (y) number of gold boxes of the next set then we'll reward you with a 5 star of that set of your choice etc.

Your thoughts?

Cheers,
Nought's had, all's spent, Where our desire is got without content;'Tis safer to be that which we destroy Than by destruction dwell in doubtful joy.

Ne Obliviscaris
AngelicDeath

Re: Lessons we could learn.

Postby ChiYoung » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:13 pm

Not sure if that would apply here. All the costs here are maintenance and wages. We get all our sets from JP.
When the end comes, and enemies are rushing in from all sides, I will be at your right hand.
ChiYoung

Postby AngelicDeath » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:57 pm

I agree to a point. It still has no impact on future sets though. They are coming we know that but we just do not know when. We will probably just follow abstractly the model of A2 at a much slower pace.

Personally, I do not think this is a wise course of action. The "build it and they will come " attitude adopted by Gamepot USA might fare well in a vacuum but as Worthng pointed out in a different thread - there are more fun avenues to approach at the moment. Alteil has to compete for our business or did you forget some of us pay to play. Oh and by the way, without those of us that do pay (falling in numbers daily i would surmise) there is no Alteil.

Crazy idea, but they could mimick all these ads i get in the mail/ email near daily. "come back to Alteil and spend (x) dollars and we'll give you (y) bonus gran" etc. They have the email addresses of past spenders and the dollar amount they spent- should be easy enough to accomplish.

They could take a clue from AEG ( makers of the CCG Legend of the Five Rings) as well. There they put out a preview of a card a day from the next set prior to release. Our next set has 60 cards in it ( i presume). At the rate of deployment we still have 2 or 3 months to wait it's release. That is plenty of time to see the card and discuss it's merits, weaknesses , uses in the forum even before it is released.

Cheers,
AD
Nought's had, all's spent, Where our desire is got without content;'Tis safer to be that which we destroy Than by destruction dwell in doubtful joy.

Ne Obliviscaris
AngelicDeath

Postby Patrick123 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:20 am

I hereby decree to have Logress mortgage his house and the rest of his belongings!

The only lesson to be learned is that it's better to not play alteil, because there are better options out there.
Patrick123

Return to Safiria's Planning Bureau