Trading in old starters

User suggestions to improve the game

Re: Trading in old starters

Postby Kamerynn » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:17 pm

As long as the new starters, with all those crazy cards, are the ones in ye olde shoppe for 1000g, then I see no problem ;) $10 isn't a big deal, and hey, if you're cheap like me, you can always save it up through MM and fighting every week.

Of course, if all the crazy play sets that I'm seeing were gained by buying tons of boxes... then I'll be disappointed. In that case, for someone like me, a FM lottery would be my only hope :cry:
Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.
-- Terry Pratchett
Kamerynn

Postby Peralisc2 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:52 pm

DanTheTimid wrote:Free stuff is nice, don't get me wrong, but this isn't a charity, they need to make money too and every virtual dollar they just give away is potentially a virtual dollar that won't be purchased with real dollars.

hehe, wait, when you talk about that you should also keep in mind how silly the cost for the gran is

But thats not worth mentioning here anyways, because we dont talk about gran pricing or free gran.
Starters just give you a general idea about the game and a semi decent start so its ok to give 1 away. What they give away would be about 15 or 10 free cards or maybe even less! (didnt count) Probably you gain nothing since you have already all.
But not giving 1 starter away puts the old players at disadvantage, small, but it does. Not that people should use the starter cards instead of the real ones, but they sure will want to gain as many cards as possible, so the starters might help.

Think about it this way: I start playing in set x with the x falkow starter, spend some money grow in level. So there is no way i would want to start over and make a new account when the next set comes out. Then set x+1 comes out and the new iczers get that stronger starter, and some of them spend, those who spend just have overall a much higher chance to have a better deck since they have the stronger starters + the same boosts on average (lets ignore the luck factor). So why should someone who started earlier have less advantage than someone who started later?
And its not like i can just swap starters, i probably still use cards from the old one.
This is the point of view of someone who will never spend tons on this game, but the amount is very similar to most decent games.
Giving one silly starter for the players who stayed will give only a small moral boost which will still be apreciated a lot by many.

Also if you agree with FM lotto then there clearly is no reason to argue about 1 free starter give away at the release of the set, to those who did play a lot before the release. Its more like having extra FM, which is ok.

As long as the new starters, with all those crazy cards, are the ones in ye olde shoppe for 1000g, then I see no problem $10 isn't a big deal, and hey, if you're cheap like me, you can always save it up through MM and fighting every week.

Its not that you spend just 10$ or an extra 10$ to get minor stuff like this every time. Its more like you spend an extra to the extra of the extra of the extra of the extra of whatever amount you spend.

People who dont spend and dont want to, wont just change their mind.
But those who are not sure if they want to spend, will probably get pissed of this minor things.
Players that spent some will feel a bit ripped of.
Those who spent tons dont care, since they just have always more than enough cash to waste.

But not everyone is in the last category. Thats the point. And even if you get that 1 starter just as a dunno, apreciation gift for remaining a player/customer/whatever/future customer? you will still have to go a long long long, probably much longer than you think, way to get to the point where you get most of the cards, so you have to spend anyway to get what you wish for or wait until ... maybe forever, to get somewhere. Well in most cases, i dont include the few lucky ones in this.
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby Harion » Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:07 am

Peralisc2 wrote:i think they should agree on 1 extra free starter since its for people who helped out. :/

i'd go so far as saying ppl who spent a certain amount of real money should be given a starter set of their pick

that would actually encourage spending
they can even make it a rewards program
so that the higher the amount you spend, the more free stuff you can get
like if you spend 300 bucks, you get a pick of a starter
$100, a couple of cards from EX pack
$200, a couple of cards from set 2 or set 3

of course these amounts are just my suggestion
but the system can really work to generate more revenue
and in the end help out alteil in general
My goal is not to win, but to have fun.
But since winning is fun, I can't help but to make winning my goal.
--
Bear killing axe-man was meant to be what it's name suggests - a killer unit. Sadly, there were no bears to kill in Alteil.
Harion

Postby Gota » Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:44 pm

They are already doing that....

like....

$100 gets you 12000 gran, which is 2000 more gran than usual, that is more than 1 starter, that is 2 starter right there.

Spending $30 gets your 3600 gran, that is 1 pack AND 1 EX pack right there, with 50gran change.
Logress wrote:Gota: I just looked at your lottery logs... I officially declare you the most unlucky man on earth.
Gota

Postby Kamerynn » Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:12 pm

Peralisc2 wrote:
As long as the new starters, with all those crazy cards, are the ones in ye olde shoppe for 1000g, then I see no problem $10 isn't a big deal, and hey, if you're cheap like me, you can always save it up through MM and fighting every week.

Its not that you spend just 10$ or an extra 10$ to get minor stuff like this every time. Its more like you spend an extra to the extra of the extra of the extra of the extra of whatever amount you spend.

I agree to an extent, but not with the exaggerated use of "extra." One is probably sufficient, maybe 2 when referring to the big spenders :P

Peralisc2 wrote:People who dont spend and dont want to, wont just change their mind.
But those who are not sure if they want to spend, will probably get pissed of this minor things.
Players that spent some will feel a bit ripped of.
Those who spent tons dont care, since they just have always more than enough cash to waste.

There's another category, that of smart consumers who only spend when doing so coincides with the thought "I think this company deserves some support for making a game that I really like." That thought needs to be sincere, of course. I've only spent $10, tossing it at ex packs and a booster, but despite recent changes, I might spend a bit more. It would be nice to have a starter or two of other colors, now, and I'm enjoying the game more and more, and don't mind lending some support. I always keep in mind that even if I invest, a game might not be around forever. But there's nothing wrong with spending some cash on entertainment, minding your budget ;)

Now, people who join will be able to mix it up a bit, making just one winning strategy harder to find (anyone test big blue out, lately?). Perhaps keeping new recruits is the ultimate goal, here. Helping the old players out when they can still cope better than most might not be a winning strategy in keeping the game alive.

Peralisc2 wrote:But not everyone is in the last category. Thats the point. And even if you get that 1 starter just as a dunno, apreciation gift for remaining a player/customer/whatever/future customer? you will still have to go a long long long, probably much longer than you think, way to get to the point where you get most of the cards, so you have to spend anyway to get what you wish for or wait until ... maybe forever, to get somewhere. Well in most cases, i dont include the few lucky ones in this.

I'm all for the idea, although I don't think it's going to happen. Yes, it's going to take forever to get what I want, but as long as I'm having fun playing right now, I'll eventually get at least some of that =P. If I'm going to play for an extended period over a day, I play until I win a treasure battle. A free card every day can give a feeling of progress =). And yes, spending a bit might be in order; mind you, I think $10 here and maybe $20 there is reasonable, even if it only enhances my options by a bit.

I can understand the frustration of losing to many new cards, as I've been doing it a lot lately. But, since it's still possible to compete, I don't imagine they'll be giving free cards.
Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.
-- Terry Pratchett
Kamerynn

Postby Zanador » Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:29 pm

Just my usual comment on the topic: this is a free game, so please dont assume that everyone will pay, and even less that everyone should pay. Certainly its a good thing if you want to give some money to help the game and in the meanwhile you get some cards too, but its not the default as far as i know. This is why i like the idea of Gran/FM for starter change too. Also nearly every time i help out a new player they ask about changing starter, and telling them to make new accounts isnt really the most encouraging thing... and buying new starter really isnt an option for a free player either.
Something must be wrong with me. I'm giving advices to someone i should kill.
Zanador

Postby Peralisc2 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:39 pm

Well the most important point is, this is a free game, but it seems (to me at least) that there are people on both sides that dont know the limits and neither do they now what should be acceptable and what not. :/

And free player or not, nobody should be bothered to buy a starter. >_>
You get 6 packs of random cards with a higher chance of useful ones than you could get for paying 100 gran for the starters.
Starters are rather something for bit bigger spenders since they cost much and they only are good when you want to get your 3rd fire arrow or your 3rd return ... and so on.

Probably we are forced to face stagnation in this game until a later set with the FM lotto comes out.
Oh well, i am saying this for the 10000000000th time or so but seriously it would be really great if 1 card from the FM lotto costs you 1000->2000 FM or so. That would just make people want to play more ...
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby esaberia » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:47 pm

I just think that people that started earlier to being punished when people that start a new account gets a way stronger starter deck, and that if given the option to trade in your starter deck for the new set starter of the same colour would be quite fair.
esaberia

Postby Romdeau » Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:04 pm

esaberia wrote:I just think that people that started earlier to being punished when people that start a new account gets a way stronger starter deck, and that if given the option to trade in your starter deck for the new set starter of the same colour would be quite fair.

I agree.
Romdeau

Postby Grain » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:18 am

esaberia wrote:I just think that people that started earlier to being punished when people that start a new account gets a way stronger starter deck, and that if given the option to trade in your starter deck for the new set starter of the same colour would be quite fair.

Nothing is restricting you from making a new account.

Or, they could just give all the old people 10 dollars.
Grain

PreviousNext

Return to Safiria's Planning Bureau