What If New Feature Thread

User suggestions to improve the game

Re: What If New Feature Thread

Postby Peralisc9001 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:01 am

Again why should i spend for a game, balanced by some angry prick gone on rage spree? :lol:

Peralisc9001 wrote:Also i wonder why it has to always be alteil jp that makes the first steps and only then alteil us follows like a lap dog. (this refers to the fact that alteil jp includes community input and not only the input of a biased few when balancing their game)

The gathered input of opinions from the community offers a far more balanced and objective view. It's far more substantial than the biased view of a few.

Now quit arguing kid, you aren't worth that much, neither is your opinion alone and you are not the world's navel. Don't cry about it and face reality.

He never really comments on it cause usually people argue like this on the forums: "LOL GAME ISNT BIASED YOU MUST BE AN IDIOT LOL"

I didn't call you an idiot now, nobody was, so why the paranoia? Are you getting schizophrenic or wtf is wrong with you? :shock:
~ Retired ~
perhaps until the game is actually improved through change or perhaps forever since there are so damn many other games and better things to do @_@
http://www.educatinghumanity.com/2012/0 ... anies.html
Peralisc9001

Postby Icyglare » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:59 pm

From seeing the previous erratas, it looks like Logress does read what the community complain about
Examples: Pixies, Sea Serpent/DEFS, OPDilate, Ruuca, Dagon Lycanthrope

Then looks at data to see if it's really causing unbalance, then also pick out cards that are barely played
Examples: Deep Squid, Unicorn, Refess Monster stuff (at first, it seemed like there was no reason to play Coatl over Guardian)

Though he does have to cherry pick the unused cards because there are so many and not enough time to playtest them all.
then adjusts before the errata comes out.

Pixies is probably a good example of this because nobody really complained until it's availability was given to everyone.

-

Another complaint was the availability of 3*s, and ever since then, every other event had some type of 3* included along with the mother of them all, the Triple Changer event where everyone had 1 for free.

I think you do a good job Logress, thanks for listening to us and making the changes. I'll do my best to support and get the word out when opening day cometh.
For a large amount of various Alteil Replays, try youtube link

<-- http://www.youtube.com/AlteilReplays -->

CEM guild brah!
Icyglare

Postby fargone » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:56 pm

GonFreeces31 wrote:Community involvement in game design and card release is NEVER done in any business, and for a good reason. Community members generally have no background in game design nor do they understand the factors that designers need to consider. Plus, most players are inherently biased.

Gonfreeces is a case in point. He was chosen from the community, he has no background in game design and based on his posts fails to understand the factors that designers need to consider. Plus, he is inherently biased.

Gonfreeces also has this venomous trait where he feels he is superior to others. This surfaced not long after he encountered sex on a regular occasion. The entire community watched this transformation and felt nothing but disdain for him. Since then his posts regularly serve to put down the players, insult the community and generally damage the goodwill of the game. Sadly, he fails to see that he does represent Alteil whether he is being paid or on contract or not.

It is for this reason that I believe the testing team should be reviewed in its entirety. Outspoken team members should be replaced with people that have more professionalism and more clue. Perhaps training could be provided to them. They should be given the understanding that they should maintain confidentiality (it is not their role to discuss Alteil business) and should be rewarded for their efforts. The team should be either completely unknown, or the processes should become completely public - it doesn't work in between.

Either way, Gon needs to be removed from the team - he costs Ateil more goodwill than he gains it. It would be bad business practice to keep him on. He even regularly speaks on behalf of Logress, then when called on it, he says he doesn't represent altiel - you can't do both. His pretentious ways do nothing to serve alteil in the long run.

Thanks for reading my opinion. I look forward to your responses.
GonFreeces31 wrote:
fargone wrote:I realise this is completely off topic, but Icy deserves the limelight more than others. Some of whom dominate the forums with their endless posts.

What, I make legit points too...
fargone

Postby GonFreeces31 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:46 pm

I have definately acted unprofessionally in the past, and for that I am sorry. Though I think you should know that while I had little experience in game design when I started, I have spent a lot of time reading game design related forums and blogs and actually am quite knowledgable. So I would argue that right now, in terms of thinking holistically about general game design principles, I'm actually pretty well qualified.

I'm also really not sure what you mean by how I'm "inherently biased." I can agree that every person, to an extent, is slightly biased, but if you think that I walk into design/balance discussions with an agenda to reward one sphere or punish another sphere that's just ridiculous and totally not true. I've actually spent a decent amount of time helping a lot of cards and themes within all spheres.

If you want, you can ask Logress why he initially added me. In my early days, I was very good at making a wide variety of interesting deck concepts work and be functional, which is really saying something given how complex Alteil is. I've spent a lot of time working with the team and I think I've done a lot of good things with balance and design. I mean a lot of ideas I've had have been really helpful to the game and opened up some interesting strategies within the game. Heck, I even got a chance to lead the design on one EX pack, and the result was the one of the most successful Falkow EX packs ever. People purchased the cards, and more than that, had fun playing them (Vondora and EX Mystere).

Outside of that, I'd like to think that I'm one of the best in terms of knowing the fundamentals of the game and how to design and run files of any sphere of any type. That's actually a pretty important skill that matters a lot. In terms of testing stuff I'm really good at whipping together and playing almost any file even on my first run. Additionally, I've provided some good frameworks for thinking about designing cards. As a basic example, the giant squid and (that lvl 6 refess card) were a result of me talking about how for "big" decks opening with a "lead level 6" unit that doesn't require using SP is essential. We talked about how well it works in Gowen when you can drop Volcano Wyvern and allows for a smoothly running deck. That let to an increased emphasis on looking at bigs files of all spheres, and trying to figure out why they aren't played very much, and what niche roles are missing from each sphere.

So you can go on about how you don't like me on a personal level and how I've acted unprofessionally in the past, but these things don't directly relate to effectiveness in being a tester. I mean honestly what should have happened was Logress should have had a "sit down" with me and told me how I was behaving poorly and whatever. In fact, in the past I asked both him and Rom to like check on me and keep me in line if I was acting out or whatever, but that didn't really result in anything pragmatic..
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Postby Peralisc9001 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:00 pm

fargone wrote:Gonfreeces is a case in point. He was chosen from the community, he has no background in game design and based on his posts fails to understand the factors that designers need to consider. Plus, he is inherently biased.

That was for sure because it was a different gon. This guy ain't gon from back then.

Sadly, he fails to see that he does represent Alteil whether he is being paid or on contract or not.

Pffft! Alteil isn't forced to keep him around. I'd say it's their fault for having him as part of their image, not his.

The balance team should be the guys in charge, because they depend on the game and thus basically will have to try their best.
If the balance is going to rely on the community, it has to be based on more consistent data gathering, not a small sample.

People won't cheer up because a prick is doing the balance and won't start spending because he tells them they are biased. :roll:
~ Retired ~
perhaps until the game is actually improved through change or perhaps forever since there are so damn many other games and better things to do @_@
http://www.educatinghumanity.com/2012/0 ... anies.html
Peralisc9001

Postby fargone » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:27 pm

And what exactly do you know of the other players and their backgrounds? I assume you know little to nothing, yet you judge them the way I just judged you. In fact what I did was simply give your own projections back to you. Did you like it? Im guessing by your instant self gratification and justification that you didn't like it all.

Some people here in the forums actually do have game design in their history. It's a pity you can't see past your own self importance to recognise this.

If you have truly learned your lessons, this will become apparent in the forums - both your guild forums and these ones.

I guess we have to wait to see the new and improved gonfreeces31? If we could have the old one back, that would be superb. So far, I have seen little change, but again, this is just my opinion.
GonFreeces31 wrote:
fargone wrote:I realise this is completely off topic, but Icy deserves the limelight more than others. Some of whom dominate the forums with their endless posts.

What, I make legit points too...
fargone

Postby Romdeau » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:58 pm

I have two points to contribute to this (probably) meaningless conversation. Gon you have definitely changed, and not for the better. I remember the days I actually looked forward to interacting with you and having productive discussions about the game or just shooting the **** about whatever. For whatever reason, you have drastically changed to someone whom (in my eyes) is much less approachable and is too focused on presenting himself on a high pedestal for whatever reason. This is the reason you receive a lot of flak from outspoken community members.

I'm not saying I haven't changed, in fact I would say I've pretty much gone into hibernation for the past few months-but that's because I'm waiting on Logress and his team to finish his revival. What's the point in discussing and investing into a game that's not even running? You chimed in at the end of your post how you asked me to reel you in if necessary and Gon believe me-if I thought that would do any good, I would definitely do it. However, I don't think you would listen to me or any of the other community members here. You're just not receptive to being told "you're being a **** right now, stop". In fact, you become annoyingly stubborn and it's just irritating to be around someone like that.

So please do not bring up crap like that when the ball is solely in your court. You know what I'm talking about and you know you're responsible. Don't try to shift the blame (however slight) as if I didn't even try.
Romdeau

Postby GonFreeces31 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:04 pm

fargone wrote:And what exactly do you know of the other players and their backgrounds?

Most people really don't know much about design. You can see it through the content of their posts.
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Postby GonFreeces31 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:14 pm

Romdeau wrote:I have two points to contribute to this (probably) meaningless conversation. Gon you have definitely changed, and not for the better. I remember the days I actually looked forward to interacting with you and having productive discussions about the game or just shooting the **** about whatever. For whatever reason, you have drastically changed to someone whom (in my eyes) is much less approachable and is too focused on presenting himself on a high pedestal for whatever reason. This is the reason you receive a lot of flak from outspoken community members.

I appreciate the honest feedback. I don't really mean to come off as a person on a pedestal so I'm sorry that it seems that way to you. I think the correct way to think about this is that Gon has gone through a lot and taken some drastic changes. I think I just spent too much time thinking about the game and developing too much game knowledge and then the amount of influence/power I had was just way too excessive for a small community and I think it corrupted me a little bit. Carl's still pretty much the same person he's always been, if it makes you feel any better. I'm really busy in grad school endlessly reading and writing and making a lot of new friends.

And no I didn't mean to blame you at all, I just meant to say I saw something like this coming and tried to stop it...
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Postby Callonia » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:51 pm

Callonia

PreviousNext

Return to Safiria's Planning Bureau