Alteil Story Mode

User suggestions to improve the game

Alteil Story Mode

Postby Mykenae » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:16 am

The two main draws of Alteil for me were its art and its story. The art we see every time we log in, every battle. Alteil is saturated with its own artwork. But the story? Despite its long and rich backstory, there is practically no integration of Alteil's plot into the game itself. The most we ever get are the themes behind EX Packs and Sets; the game itself remains wholly separate from its story. Well, I propose we change that. Add in a story mode to the already-extant multiplayer, based on the existing story sections we have on the site and the NPC Arena system we already have. With a series of story-based cutscenes interspersed with themed NPC battles, I think you could make this system work: e.g. you start off as an iczer training against Lapierre [tutorial, battle 1], then being sent to fight against Lawtia in the Duchy of Crest [battle 2], win but get taken prisoner by Sumer's magic dolls, fight your way out [battle 3], but not before hearing rumors of someone named "Elgandi," so you decide to consult the great library of Regus for more information, get attacked by pirates on the way [battle 4], etc. Maybe include some NPC-only cards to compensate for NPC stupidity (there really needs to be a way for NPCs to deal with returns, but that's a whole other can of worms), and give some basic gran rewards for playing through the story the first time, and maybe some rewards when fighting NPCs again (each battle being a treasure battle for a valid no-gran-value card selected at random from the NPC opponent's deck would be nice). It doesn't seem like any of that would be too hard to program. You'd need a script, character art, backdrops, an interface for selecting and progressing through chapters of the story, and a series of NPC decks. This last one might be the hardest part to make, but it's also the only one that Alteil actually has at the moment, so I know you at least have experience in that field. All in all, I think this will provide a significantly increased new user experience, as well as increasing the quality of the game as a whole.
Mykenae

Re: Alteil Story Mode

Postby Ropey » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:36 pm

Like what you are saying. Mystery Man has said that it's in the 2nd sprint. Not sure they will take it to the extent you are suggesting, but if they are brain storming then posts like yours should be invaluable.
"My mind is not for rent to any god or government"

ImageImageImage
Ropey

Postby Mykenae » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:26 pm

The only story mode Mystery Man mentions is the tutorial section, where you're supposed to be defending a village against monsters (is that finalized?). That sort of tutorial really has nothing to do with what Alteil's all about, the inter-kingdom plots and counterplots, the clashing of 'modern' Folrart with the return of its most ancient legends, and the mystery of who is at the center of all this chaos (hint: it's Batora and Elgandi). There's so much potential here, and Alteil has never taken advantage of that.

EDIT: Actually, I just saw the idea of fan-made story creation mode. Not sure what that'll entail, but hopefully it's more than just a fanfic maker with an NPC duel tacked onto the end.
Last edited by Mykenae on Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mykenae

Postby Ropey » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:33 pm

ImageImageImage
Ropey

Postby Callonia » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:31 pm

I believe what you're asking about is..

http://www.alteil.com/index.php/story/l ... theoldgods

and

http://www.alteil.com/index.php/story/a ... -of-lavato

Its unforunately been in twilight for eternal and uh, character interactions haven't been translated like since set 6 or 7, the set with 5* zagar was the last set they translated the character dialogues inbattle me thinks.
Callonia

Postby LoneKnight » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:03 pm

If alteil had a story mode I'd do it as follows:

There's 2 threads: a story that is the story of Lavato, and the story as told by from the Iczer's point of view. Lavato's story would be the "backdrop" while the iczer's story would be the main deal.

The Iczer storyline would be about the Player becoming an iczer and learning the ropes, collecting individuals from all points of the history of Lavato to summon. The Lavato storyline would be whatever it is right now. The Iczer would have to interact with the Lavato storyline to recruit his units (like, go and help out Sumer deliver a doll army to Belfyna to get the basic Magic Doll or something). This'd give players more insight into the world itself.

During the Iczer story it'd turn out that someone (Elgandi) is warping the Lavato timeline, manipulating its history so it fits his own nefarious plans. This would be the backdrop for the units that don't really make sense in normal Lavato timeline; they are from an offshoot splinter timeline.
LoneKnight

Postby Shirozaki » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:46 pm

LoneKnight wrote:If alteil had a story mode I'd do it as follows:

There's 2 threads: a story that is the story of Lavato, and the story as told by from the Iczer's point of view. Lavato's story would be the "backdrop" while the iczer's story would be the main deal.

The Iczer storyline would be about the Player becoming an iczer and learning the ropes, collecting individuals from all points of the history of Lavato to summon. The Lavato storyline would be whatever it is right now. The Iczer would have to interact with the Lavato storyline to recruit his units (like, go and help out Sumer deliver a doll army to Belfyna to get the basic Magic Doll or something). This'd give players more insight into the world itself.

During the Iczer story it'd turn out that someone (Elgandi) is warping the Lavato timeline, manipulating its history so it fits his own nefarious plans. This would be the backdrop for the units that don't really make sense in normal Lavato timeline; they are from an offshoot splinter timeline.

With a few liberal stretches, we do have a set up like this already.

The Iczers have different layers of Lavato's history represented in form of the cards and chronicles of Lavato (With several goofy characters acting as tutors).
Their duty is to protect the fictional setting of present-day Lavato (set several thousand years after the timeline present in the cards) from the ever emerging powers of Batora, while unveiling more of the history.
While elements of this are present this got largely lost in translation over the time. With a touch of irony it's worth noting that Japan has also gone out of its way to completely forget this several times.
"Abandon all hope, ye who enter here" - Inscription above the gates of Alteil
Romdeau wrote:I don't have much else to say to you other than you live in your own world if you believe I have active enemies around Alteil besides from Demongod.
Shirozaki

Postby LoneKnight » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:26 pm

That is essential why I'd like it to go that way, except actually codified.
LoneKnight

Postby NitroDino » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:11 pm

I guess story mode could look like this:

example
the fight between Crest units with Langbart against the Undead army, you start the battle with a field of crest units against a field of Undeads.
Rules:
1 copy of Langbart, if he dies you fail the mission, his stats could be boosted changed a little to make it a little easier
you have 3 copies of the other non char cards
soul skills are disabled for NPC and player
you win if your opponent doesn't have anymore cards

at end you get a short story how he gets killed by Assassin and how he turns into an Undead
NitroDino

Postby Ropey » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:31 pm

I'd like to see repeatable story trails for each sphere. A simple one if you don't buy a Pre build with reward cards that will put you in good stead for Folrart. Cards that will give you at least one good soul skill, and make you want to gain more. The trail should let you earn gran and exp pts, but drop the amount after the first completion and stop rewarding cards. If you do buy a Pre then the rewards should be not only greater , but tailored to advance the Pre build. The stories I would leave to people who have more knowledge. I think having something you can go back and grind on would be good for beginners, they would have less need to fight fruitlessly in the arena. I would like to see less arenas perhaps just Folrart a casual one and the story mode would serve as the training.

ImageImageImage
Ropey

Next

Return to Safiria's Planning Bureau