Nerf Jewel of the Deep Sea

User suggestions to improve the game

Re: Nerf Jewel of the Deep Sea

Postby GonFreeces31 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:24 pm

When forming jewel arguments, you need to articulate exactly what jewels unique effects are that are distinct and superior to other options. Faytis and tidal you can also use just as effectively with cath or owl sage open. Cath or owl opens provide many benefits jewel does not.
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Postby Shadow1798 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:29 pm

I've played Jewel open Mage Soldiers for about a week.

Went 22-4, one loss was very unlucky and one was a play-error.

Nothing about playing with it changed my mind about it. Your average "play some level 3s" file cannot hope to keep up with you. You have enough SP to play Ryu turn 3, return a unit, and still keep a solid flow of units going. It's pretty gross.
Rapidly Flying Apprentice's Kill Count: 14 Izcers.
Shadow1798

Postby GonFreeces31 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:36 pm

22-4 is normal for any strong file. Besides, you're talking about the sum of a file. Success of a file happens for many reasons, I'm not sure why you would necessarily point to jewel instead of the other cards you got.
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Postby Shadow1798 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:56 pm

GonFreeces31 wrote:22-4 is normal for any strong file. Besides, you're talking about the sum of a file. Success of a file happens for many reasons, I'm not sure why you would necessarily point to jewel instead of the other cards you got.

Guaranteeing your first Soul Skill is vitally important to the file. It's what allows you to run out Ryu first even though he's by far your best card, because you will always have enough SP for units to follow after him. It allows you the ability to play a return on turn 4 without absolutely killing your ability to play a level 3 to fight with Ryu, and due to the way the open works, the opponent might still be waiting on their first soul, making them at least 4SP behind. In a rush file like Mage Soldiers it is crucial to win the early turns, and Jewel lets you win the early turns basically every time with no real effort.
Shadow1798

Postby Peralisc9001 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:58 pm

fargone wrote:Still trying to convince gon...

...have fun with that.

Here's the thread's summary:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXzU-_ClrYU
Last edited by Peralisc9001 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ Retired ~
perhaps until the game is actually improved through change or perhaps forever since there are so damn many other games and better things to do @_@
http://www.educatinghumanity.com/2012/0 ... anies.html
Peralisc9001

Postby GonFreeces31 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:05 pm

The ironic thing is, I'm actually presenting a really good argument. Maybe there's no hope discussion things critically in the public forums.
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Postby Peralisc9001 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:12 pm

Gon, your angry and belligerent rants are really getting old and only disrupt what was actually a pretty good discussion about this card being OP. You're doing that thing where instead of adding to an intellectual conversation, you just go around insulting the integrity of people who have a view different from yours.
~ Retired ~
perhaps until the game is actually improved through change or perhaps forever since there are so damn many other games and better things to do @_@
http://www.educatinghumanity.com/2012/0 ... anies.html
Peralisc9001

Postby GonFreeces31 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:17 pm

I'm not angry or ranting. I'm asking what the unique effects of a card are. People are complaining about mage soldiers and faytis and tidal. You can use all those cards in a cath open.
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Postby Shadow1798 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:18 pm

Cath open would be so inferior for Mage Soldiers to Jewel even suggesting it shows you haven't thought about it for more than 10 seconds.
Shadow1798

Postby GonFreeces31 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:29 pm

Well then why don't you try out cath open instead of jewel and see how it goes. Cath puts you up 1sp on turn 2. That's pretty good! I mean its possible jewel is overpowered independent of the mediator ss interaction, but no ones really presented a good case why its better to choose jewel over cath or other opens.

I'd guess that if jewel is nerfed it will be to stop its interaction with mediator ss, which should be good.
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

PreviousNext

Return to Safiria's Planning Bureau