[Proposal] Referrers?

User suggestions to improve the game

[Proposal] Referrers?

Postby ValVolt » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:28 pm

Since one of Alteil's problems is the small community (yesterday afternoon I again hit 0 persons in the Training Arena, and I had to press three times the battle button in Crest Arena before finding an opponent), encouraging growing the community could be a solution?

When joining the game, you would enter the iczer name of the person who invited you to join. If you level to 10, both the new player and the referrer would get something (20 Gran, for example)

With this system, iczers would be encouraged to find new players, and by earning the Gran only when the new player hits Lv10, one would ensure that new accounts are not just alt accounts setup for the Gran bonus. And if a player reaches Lv10, he should be already convinced that Alteil is a great game ! ;a33

I guess I should have proposed this idea before dragging 8 ppl with me :lol:

Vlt.
Support the Johnny Arena project !
ValVolt

Re: [Proposal] Referrers?

Postby Peralisc2 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:52 pm

and its abusable
and it has been discussed
and they already disagreed with it
and i myself dont agree with it either
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby Xuande » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:54 pm

20 Gran is not gamebreaking, and the time it takes to level a proxy account to Lv10 (around 25-30 wins) - if anyone thinks earning $0.20 ingame currency is worth that amount of time doing nothing but starter play...

I like the idea.
Primclone=Broken (now a Lv1 guild!) Don't waste my time pretending you want a fair match. Own up to it so you can get your free RP and I can play someone else.
Xuande

Postby Gota » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:22 pm

I think Alteil's problem isn't getting new players, its retaining new players.

If Alteil can't retain members, no matter what they do, the population will be low, because people that come will just leave.

So they have to deal/fix/do whatever to help retaining first before recruiting.

As posted a long time ago by someone (forgot who), once a person tries out a game and deem it 'bad' they usually won't take a second look at it again. So its a bad idea to recruit players at a fast rate while the retention rate is poor.

Of course thats speculating that we have a bad retention rate, but GM had already thought of this, so they will decide when to do it, if they do it at all.
Logress wrote:Gota: I just looked at your lottery logs... I officially declare you the most unlucky man on earth.
Gota

Postby Cotillion » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:40 am

Referral programs are a great idea. Level 10 would be too low for an Alteil referral program in my opinion. To provide the right time/incentive curve I would say maybe if referree reaches level 25-30 referrer gets 25-50 Gran.

evidence:

Probably the most successful "free"/ pay browser game of all time is the german game Travian.

It has been running 10 years or so and has many dozens of servers in more countries than many people know exist. Servers have thousands of players each, with well over a thousand active at all hours at the beginning of the server. Granted this is an mmorts so a bit different but some things can learned from their most successful model.

The UK and US servers I know most definitely use a referral program but the new player has to reach 75 population which imo would be the equivalent of at least twice as much time as a level 10 if not more.
For me it would be about equivalent to level 25 or 30 or so, so there is really an incentive for people to "mentor" their friends they get into the game.

Obvious problem:
Travian, and many other games of this nature never allow alts and have a streamlined method for catching alts that is very effective. Alteil allows alts so that could pose coding/enforement problems.

However for retaining players, not just "getting" new players referral programs tend to be effective to some extent at least because it gathers people that know each other from before the game to play the game together, which does tend to foster retaining player base in most games.
"...in order to see the world and grasp it as paradoxical, we must break with our familiar acceptance of it..."
Cotillion

Postby ValVolt » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:56 am

Pera: well my forum search was not deep enough then.

Xuande: exactly. The reward shall be so that it's not worth running an alt account just for getting it...

Gota: I can but agree with you :?
If I try a game and think it's crap, I will never ever come back test this game again. Now it's a matter of strategy:
1- Either the GMs think that good gamers are sticking to Alteil. Then mass invites will create some minimal player base; lots will quit but that's not necessarily a wrong thing.
2- Or the GMs think that players are quitting because there are not enough players to play against. Again, here, mass invites will lead to mass level 1 players, meaning that the 'average skill' level of the player base will go down. As such, it will be easier for average players to grind wins (since they will play against top players less often) and overall be willing to play even more.
3- Or the GMs think that players are quitting because the game is not player-friendly enough; then mass invites will definitely not solve the problem.

I would more be enclined to think that the issue is the one explicited in point 2; however I am not in the god's secrets ;)

Vlt.

PS: and about which level should the trainee level to, I leave the decision to you, Experienced Ones. ;)
Support the Johnny Arena project !
ValVolt

Postby Peralisc2 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:53 pm

ValVolt wrote:Pera: well my forum search was not deep enough then.

Not sure if the search function helps there. ://
The idea was mentioned many times in many threads just like the card trading.
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Invite/Refer link

Postby Azeryuu » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:54 pm

A link to give to your friends that directs them to the registration page and when the register adds them to your friends list and/or some bonus, also a count on your profile showing the number of people you invited/referred to the game. Please comment on this idea on voice your opinion, maybe a change to the idea that would make it better.
Azeryuu

Re: Invite/Refer link

Postby Ginnazoh » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:04 pm

I believe I came up with something similar in the another post.

My idea was to limit it to 1 referral from 1 IP address to prevent being abusing this.

I also suggested that we make it not as a link but when you register, you have an option to enter a referrer. This serves two purpose:
1) it prevents spamming of links on other forums and boards because that is very annoying and borderline harassing and it will earn Alteil a bad reputation.
2) it makes it so that you have to actually advertise and teach people about the game so your referrees actually remember who you are and will enter your name into that slot. this makes it so that you at least "earned" the bonus for referees, and discourages simply spamming the game.

And I believe the idea was that the referrer gets a gran bonus of an undecided amount (I said 150 gran but some people have said that might be too much), and I think people suggested that referee also get some gran so they have incentives to remember who their referrer were and enter their name (I personally think that maybe this amount should be a half or a third of what the referrer gets).
Ginnazoh

Re: Invite/Refer link

Postby Azeryuu » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:13 pm

Yeah, that does sound good with the referrer field in the registration page. Both referrer and referred getting a gran bonus is also a good idea, that is what I meant by bonus as I think you are aware of. We could have the link idea but changed in a way so people cannot spam it on forum and such
Azeryuu

Next

Return to Safiria's Planning Bureau