In-Game Campaign

User suggestions to improve the game

In-Game Campaign

Postby Phenoca » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:07 pm

I would be interested in developing an AI for an in-game campaign. This could allow players to gain preset cards by beating preset scenarios (i.e. AI-controlled files) which pertain to the Alteil storyline.

Yet I do not know what language Alteil is in, nor do I presume that I would be legally allowed to look at source-code. So the best I can do right now is write a pseudo-code for AI...

Would players' campaign-decks also have to be preset?
flood + Pakistan = hunger
Phenoca

Re: In-Game Campaign

Postby Peralisc2 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:10 pm

You could just make an off-site mini game just for the looks of it. If they like it they will copy it.
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby Phenoca » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:34 pm

But to make the mini-game, I would have to rebuild the Alteil engine, which would be a bad idea for multiple reasons (there already is one, and I don't think I can just copy an entire game).

I was thinking more along the lines of an AI to play cards and then manage the units like a real player. Then we could add in the storyline based on characters from http://www.alteil.com/index.php/story... With linear storyline based on which levels (a.k.a. AI-controlled Iczers) you have beaten.

But in order to make the AI as efficient as possible, several things would have to be removed from the campaign/mini-game, such as pinpoint, returns, SP-deprivation, and (for the AI-controlled Iczer) most of the complex soul skill cards.
Phenoca

Postby Peralisc2 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:59 pm

I am damn sure it's easy to remake it for single player. It's just that you write many lines of code. After you write the "general stuff", you can just write the "card effects" and all.
And then maybe you could upload the compiled version and let everyone download it.

As for the AI, you can start with the most simplistic of all (no AI) and then add conditions and extra thought to it. So you start with a dumb AI that just plays any card and then improve on it to reach your "wannabe genius" AI. :P
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby Logress » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:25 pm

The Japanese already have an AI. Importing it for use in our game is one of the core game changes we're making.
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Postby Phenoca » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:31 pm

Cool - I would like to see this, so that some sort of user-campaign can be added, which will offer Iczers another method of gaining cards.
Phenoca

Postby Phenoca » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:36 am

Peralisc2 wrote:Why make a campaign?

They should just do some missions. For example you have to win 5 battles with X card (ofcourse the card has to be summoned at least once on the field) and same with Y card to then unlock card Z.

Example missions:
Win 5 battles with Pegasus.
Win 5 battles with Armed Citizens.

You get 1 copy of pegasus knights. :lol:

I have actually wanted this (with a connect-the-dots overworld movement-system similar to that of Puzzle Quest, and "cities" which have missions ranging from levels 1-10; you reap a reward the first time you win each mission, with perhaps the last mission giving weekly gran (because the last boss always runs-away to live another day)).

Skewer wrote:Yours sounds more like random quest events then actual achievements.

No, not random. Each position (1-10) on the overworld would be a quest you can do. The first time you win, you get to choose a card (like level-up cards).

Storyline could be a cross between the card-flip contest, and Lunia cutscenes (falling-rocks scene was very good, considering the lack of animation).

Peralisc2 wrote:I didn't mention anything about a time limit and i don't know why there should be a time limit. It's so that if you have to win 50 battles with X card mission, then you can win 2 today, 10 next week, 30 next month and the rest sometime this year or sometime before they tweak the missions. (which will affect all "achievment" requirements)

Anything else that separates it from achievements? Because i really don't see any diffrence, it's pretty much something like:
Won 50 battles (non-streak) - reward Y card

Yes. There would be storyline, so that the player actually feels immersed (and important in) the history of Lavato. Each sphere could have a different campaign. Your Campaign Deck is not the same thing as your actual deck.

Examples

Note: Each file can have less than 5 LP. The first few AIs have only 1-2 LP.

;a41 Start-out with your "Campaign Deck", which is only composed of three copies of Blessed Acolyte and Boy Combat Priest SS.
Rescue messenger (fighting exploding spores) --> Recruit Priest of the Holy Word SS to your party/campaign deck. Send message to Priestess of the Holy Word (fight Assassin and Novice Assassin), recruit Shields Up grimoire. Save Priestess of the Holy Word from Proxy of Darkness, Shade, Magic Shade Soldier, Combat Monk, and Fire Arrow --> Recruit Priestess of the Holy Word two copies of Combat Monk. Defeat stronger Assassins, learn about their leader (LeBeau). Fight LeBeau, learn location of Annarose. Fight Annarose, defeat Abyssal Forces.

;a39 Start out with Dalos, Invisible Druid, and two Shade SS. Rescue Magic Doll, recruit three copies of Magic Doll (to your Campaign Deck). Duel Crest Regenerator Knight, recruit three copies of Crest Regenerator Knight (to your Campaign Deck). Defeat Rapier Fencer, recruit Assassin SS. Rescue Moonlight Warrior, recruit three Moonlight Warriors. Destroy Acolyte Temple, recruit Soul Bind and Flesh Recycle grimoire. Etc.

;a40 Start-out with your "Campaign Deck", which is only composed of three copies of EX: Brave Mercenary / Dilate. Save various mercenaries. Defeat bad-guys.

;a38 Start-out with your "Campaign Deck", which is only composed of three copies of Flash Paladin / Ibert and Sylph SS.
Rescue messengers (fighting Ork and Blitz Beetles), recruit three copies of Haste Soldier into your "Campaign Deck". Deliver the message to EX: Azure Dragon - East / Vordore (fighting Alraune, Forest Child / Athira, and Exploding Spores), recruit three copies of EX: Azure Dragon - East / Vordore. Go to meet Emana, rescue mermaids, recruit three copies of Mermaid Soldier. Talk to Emana, recruit three copies of Emana. Fight boss-monster, recruit Meaning of Failure. Travel to last boss (fighting mercenaries and recruiting more units). Fight last boss (The Dark Eye / Wabell), get 5-15 gran.

P.S. Storyline can be based entirely upon the Starter Files. So basically, your "Campaign Deck" at the last boss will consist entirely of Starter File cards (which were obtained one-by-one through missions in the campaign).
Last edited by Phenoca on Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phenoca

Postby Harion » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:50 pm

Peralisc2 wrote:You could just make an off-site mini game just for the looks of it. If they like it they will copy it.

no. actually, they won't copy it uness they have permission
copyrights and all..
My goal is not to win, but to have fun.
But since winning is fun, I can't help but to make winning my goal.
--
Bear killing axe-man was meant to be what it's name suggests - a killer unit. Sadly, there were no bears to kill in Alteil.
Harion

Postby Peralisc2 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:11 pm

My idea really wasn't about making a campaign, but sure use those types of idea in any sort of campaign you want to make.

And phenoca or anyone else that tries to make a campaign could discuss more details with the GMs ... maybe they come to some sort of an agreement.
ImageImage
Peralisc2

Return to Safiria's Planning Bureau