Limited Playing, A new format of play

User suggestions to improve the game

Limited Playing, A new format of play

Postby mghost » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:10 pm

This may have been suggested before but I don't see it around so i'll just add my thought, but first a bit of background.

I'm an ex-MtG player, and I played rather competitively during my time with the game. I would go to weekly tournaments and make decks out of the meta usually. But what really kept me in the game was the "Limited" format. Now what we are playing right now in MtG terms would be "Constructed", your file/deck is however much you put into it with your current set of cards (collections).

Now in the limited format, you are given a certain amount of cards (Booster packs or tournament packs, which are 5 boosters in one), and you had to make a deck with only those cards. No outside cards allowed and it really "Limits" how/the way you play. Some cards that may have sucked in constructed may have been good in limited and visa versa.

Now I know it would be hard to implement a feature like rochester/draft but I believe something along the lines of Sealed deck would be possible. Maybe something like buy a box of cards (which would be 75 cards) and make a 30 card alteil file out of it. Yes it would change the way files would be played, such as having high LP as you won't have nearly more doubles or triples as you would normally, but that is the fun of this format.

Also I think it would put both the small spenders and high spenders in the same field, you will both have the same amount of cards to play around with. Much like the starter tournament we had.

Of course, it would be hard to do a one time thing like a tournament, but maybe make a monthly league out of it. You buy in for $20(maybe limit it to once per monthly league, per person), get your cards, make your file, and play in the limited format arena. At the end of the league, top player(s) get a prize, the league resets and we start it again. The cards you obtain from this will be added to your collection, so you wouldn't be losing out and you could still play in folrart normally.

Just a suggestion I wanted to make and I don't think its a bad one. I can see it affecting things in a good way, for the business, and the players new and old. Also would add a bit of light to the cards that aren't played much.

Thanks for the read.
mghost

Re: Limited Playing, A new format of play

Postby Romdeau » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:20 pm

We have had this kind of tournament before, and the problem with the idea is that Alteil needs 3 of most units to be effective. Even if you pull specifically from 1 set, how many playsets are you going to get? Pretty much you're going to be guided by luck rather than effective deck building / skill. So pretty much you take what you got and stick it in a file and pray that you're luck was better than your competitors. This is not including the fact that Alteil is also further divided into 4 spheres-if you can't even put together a decent monocolor file from your pull, then good luck. You need a larger pool of cards, and even then luck may still bite you in the butt.
Romdeau

Postby Peralisc2 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:27 pm

This is only something the alteil staff can organize and this has been discussed before, so all those that want this tourney format have to do is wait for the alteil staff to decide to organize this.

That's how i see it.
Peralisc2

Postby mghost » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:40 pm

Romdeau wrote:We have had this kind of tournament before, and the problem with the idea is that Alteil needs 3 of most units to be effective. Even if you pull specifically from 1 set, how many playsets are you going to get? Pretty much you're going to be guided by luck rather than effective deck building / skill. So pretty much you take what you got and stick it in a file and pray that you're luck was better than your competitors. This is not including the fact that Alteil is also further divided into 4 spheres-if you can't even put together a decent monocolor file from your pull, then good luck. You need a larger pool of cards, and even then luck may still bite you in the butt.

Ah~, I thought I have read something along the lines of this a while back.

Also, yes this is luck based, but skill (decisions) in the file building would still be needed. As we all know, triples of cards is needed in Alteil currently because most iczer's play with 7-10 LP files. Less your units die the less LP you'll probably need. In a limited format where you'll probably have alot of singles, and doubles maybe you'll require high LP files, as your units will die more frequently. Also, multi-sphere files, maybe even triple sphere is probably more effective, but that goes for all iczers.

But this is looking at it from a MtG standpoint where we didn't lose life (well not normally) whenever your units/creatures died.

Peralisc2 wrote:This is only something the alteil staff can organize and this has been discussed before, so all those that want this tourney format have to do is wait for the alteil staff to decide to organize this.

That's how i see it.

Would be nice to see it again, I really enjoyed this format in MtG and I could see it just as fun in this game.
mghost

Postby ANIMEniac » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:40 pm

As mentioned, it is so difficult for Alteil to have limited play. We need multi copies to make coherent files. 1 Cooy means quick -1LP for us. In games like MtG or YGO, you just play with what you got in your hand. As long as you keep something up, you can survive.

High LP is the only way to circumvent the downside of having no triples. Maybe it is something we have to learn to deal with in limited. I think if we had a very small card pool, things would work out pretty nice. Luck has always been a factor of limited. But luck should be about grabbing that "bomb" card, not trying to get enough copies of competent units for the deck. Limited with 2-3 sets would be good, but not pool of all.
ANIMEniac

Postby kitsunekit » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:07 pm

Or you can just make it so that if you pull a unit, you get multiple copies of that unit for use in your files.

So all 1-3 star units you get 3 copies of if you draft.
4 star units you get 2 copies of.
5 and 6 star units you get 1 copy of.

But after the draft is over, you only get 1 copy of each card you actually drafted. So you only get ACCESS to these multiple copies in the draft game, not in the real game.

This would also help us draft smaller sized packs, and solve the issue of drafts either being too expensive (750 gran for 5 packs; 5 pack drafts are awkward), using off-sized packs and/or having smaller file sizes.

Finally, as this is a virtual game, cards can do different things in draft than they do in the real game. I'm not a big fan of this as draft is a good time to discover and practice weird stradegies you can't do in regular games...but effects like Phoenix's regeneration might be too strong in a limited format.
kitsunekit

Postby luckysvn777 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:16 pm

Do realize as well though that because this is a virtual game, it has its own restrictions in the fact that all this has to be programmed... and the whole "now you have multiple copies, now you don't" and all the other complications sound like they would be a huge pain to program and implement successfully. Especially considering all the other things the staff is busy doing.
luckysvn777

Postby kitsunekit » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:21 pm

They've had sealed decks before where you have access to cards you don't own, which means there's already a system in place for it o.o'
kitsunekit

Postby Spears » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:21 pm

luckysvn777 wrote:... and the whole "now you have multiple copies, now you don't" and all the other complications sound like they would be a huge pain to program and implement successfully. .

hey it happened by accident before.
sorry that wasnt a dig
Spears

Postby Phenoca » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:15 pm

I think that it would not be luck-based.

One soul skill line-up's weakness is another soul skill line-up's strength.

Of course, if someone got all of their cards in triples, then they may hold a significant advantage if they play correctly.

But I met the person who won the tournament from two years ago, and Limited Tourny sounds like an excellent idea.

I am still waiting for the next Guild Event Tournament and Limited Tourny.

In fact, a Community Tourny would be nice.

... Or Alteil Trivia (I got distracted by another game and never hosted).
flood + Pakistan = hunger
Phenoca

Next

Return to Safiria's Planning Bureau