brainstorming sometimes work*suggestion*

User suggestions to improve the game

brainstorming sometimes work*suggestion*

Postby lordshot2 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:31 pm

Hello alteilers, today i was playing with arakis after an afternoon of having fun with my new deck, and after the match i was telling arakis what i saw could be improved on his deck, his answer was something like : i cannot improve it too much because i have to give an option to low levelers of getting cards.

for me this was wierd since im kind of competitive person, and we started talking about how we are deviding people, that we go to the arena and still most players are noobs, and they end up playing with a guy with over a year experience, and then you have these situation of like 5 people with golden star, after all during the day there are mostly low levelers.

the point is, we started thinking of how a system would more effectivly separate according to skills, and obviously RP is the solution, so we agreed that it was a pretty good idea to make a dynamic RP arenas.

why dynamic? because as season changes players change their gaming habits, so the idea is to have a X% of people playing in arena 1 and X% in arena 2, say, 40% and 60%, so based in stats from the week or 2 weeks, you can make the room division in RP that would keep 40% of the best players on first division, and 60 on seccond.

well, its very late and im very tired and i think im not able to explain my self, hopefully arakis will come and fix all the mess i left :D.

seccond suggestion: improve starter decks with more cards so they can be original.
lordshot2

Re: brainstorming sometimes work*suggestion*

Postby luckysvn777 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:36 pm

-We need new starter decks.

-We need cards to be easier to access (FM packs)

-We need a better point card system.

We get these, and then new players will be able to compete and have a lot more variety, and the game will be better overall.

*Is still a broken record*
luckysvn777

Postby Pancakes » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:49 pm

luckysvn777 wrote:-We need new starter decks.

-We need cards to be easier to access (FM packs)

-We need a better point card system.

We get these, and then new players will be able to compete and have a lot more variety, and the game will be better overall.

*Is still a broken record*

yeah I pretty much agree, because my RP was terrible until last week and now I'm on fiyah with a 8 game winning streak beating top level players right and left but that's not because of change of skill it's because of change of deck - I'm trying to go ahead and get my level 70 card!

After I get my 70 card then I'll goof off again, that doesn't mean I want to be segregated from high RP players once I do tone down the awesomeness of my deck to for fun's sake. It's kind of stressful playing a killer file all day I feel kind of guilty which is the reason I had stopped using my sunlight knight deck for so long. It was just sooo powerful lolz
Pancakes

Postby redbladez » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:57 pm

lordshot2 wrote:so the idea is to have a X% of people playing in arena 1 and X% in arena 2, say, 40% and 60%, so based in stats from the week or 2 weeks, you can make the room division in RP that would keep 40% of the best players on first division, and 60 on seccond.

In my country(Greece) u can hardly find a match during the day,if u divide it into 2 arenas according to RP i can assure u that many RPers will quit because of the freaking queue time. :lol:
Its already hard to find matches in arena especially for at least 3 hours after the maintanance.Only hours u can find opponent without a trouble is after 22:00 local time :D
Last edited by redbladez on Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
redbladez

Postby luckysvn777 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:58 pm

Oh yea, Pancakes, totally tried a modified version of one of your files, and its pretty darn cool. If it weren't for Primclone, i'd play it in Folrart. I should show you in training sometime, so remind me next time we get in a match or you see me around. :D

Yea... i'm not a fan of the RP arena. Its not like us high level players are unbeatable, and if you win, you get a ton of RP and a ton of exp... if you lose, you barely lose anything and gain the experience of seeing a file that works. Its a win-win really.

I definitely do not regret any of my top-player match-ups back when i was new. All it did was help.
luckysvn777

Postby Arakis » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:33 pm

As I interpreted the idea that was discussed during the post-game chat, we would set up an RP-restricted arena like they have in Japan. But unlike the Japanese one, which is always capped at 1550RP, ours would be dynamic. It would be set to a new value about once a week or so. If we were to divide the (above level 14) player base in half, we'd find the median RP value of all active Folrart-level players for the previous week, then use that median value as the RP cutoff for this new arena. It wouldn't have to be 50/50, though. If anything, I think it would be better for it to be 40/60 or even 70/30, but to make the RP arena the smaller cut. That would help offset the problem redbladez points out--our higher RP players running out of opponents. It would also give the lowest RP chunk of players a safe haven from the "pros", should they want it. Bear in mind, nobody with low RP is required to use the RP arena as it exists in Japan at this time. They can choose to go into Folrart even if they fall below the cut.

The problem with all this is, as ever, we have a small active player base. There's a catch-22 where in order to create a new arena, we need more regular players. But it's possible that creating such an arena would actually boost our level 15+ player base. Lucky, you have to remember something about Folrart newbies. At the risk of over-generalizing, I'd say they fall into two camps when facing a much higher level opponent:

1. A level 15 player gets matched up with a level 60+, and they get hammered--hard. This might discourage them to the point where they don't stick around much longer...

2. The same scenario happens, but seeing the high level deck and what it can do inspires the low-level player. In fact, the low level player might actually enjoy unexpected success against veteran opponents. Lucky, you obviously fall into this latter category, but I think there are plenty who fall into category one. Those are the players who the RP arena would benefit.

I've been a proponent of an RP arena for many months now. Would it solve some of Alteil's problems? Maybe. It might create new ones, whether or not it solves any old ones. In any case, though, lordshot2's idea of a dynamic RP arena is the best solution I've heard so far in terms of mollifying the potential negative effects of starting one.
Arakis

Postby Xovian » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:37 pm

I concur with Arakis, i was glad when i heard about it many months ago, and am gladly awaiting it to be released.
The out right culture shock of going from crest to folrart still makes my jaw drop, i think it will be beneficial over all.
Xovian

Postby luckysvn777 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:07 pm

I don't think it will end all of the problems, but the more I think about it, the more I think it will certainly help retain players. Combine this with some of the other changes being discussed and we just might yet solve the retention problem and make Alteil boom.

We're talking an arena separate from Folrart right, not a replacement? If so, I say yes.
luckysvn777

Postby Skewer » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:20 pm

luckysvn777 wrote:Yea... i'm not a fan of the RP arena. Its not like us high level players are unbeatable, and if you win, you get a ton of RP and a ton of exp... if you lose, you barely lose anything and gain the experience of seeing a file that works. Its a win-win really.

Except time. If only that experience actually translated into experience points.

Some suggestions that may also reduce the importance of wins because no one likes losing:
Make RP/Win streaks hidden values that cannot normally be accessed.
Treasure Battles rates should not occur more often while on a streak.
Perhaps, give out random encouragement cards or point cards when you lose (not give up, maybe add certain qualifiers i.e. played X cards)
Skewer

Postby Arakis » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:39 pm

Yes, this arena would be separate from Folrart. I'm pretty sure we'd need to have Folrart permanently, as it's the only "catch-all" arena we have. If every other official arena has a restriction of some kind (level or RP), you have to have somewhere to go if you don't fall into any of those limited groups.

I should state for the record, this is all just speculation at this point. Nothing is confirmed--I don't know whether we'll ever get an RP arena or not. I just hope we will.
Arakis

Next

Return to Safiria's Planning Bureau