Sphere Packs

User suggestions to improve the game

Sphere Packs

Postby Multi » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:50 am

I know we have reinforcement packs that focus on spheres, (which btw, need some updating or something, because just 1 reinforcement pack per sphere for months isn't cutting it guys), but how about booster packs that are limited to 1 sphere only?

For instance, you buy the Lawtia sphere pack, you only get lawtia cards from the current collection of sets, set 1-5. Same with the other spheres. This doesn't solve the problems of rarity, but this does solve the problem of new players who buy packs and can't get anything in their own sphere to play with. The issue of not getting playable cards isn't only the fact that players can't get triples, but for new players, even if they get triples, if they're from a different sphere than their starter, having 3 sets of triples from another sphere won't give them anything playable at all, unless they try to dual sphere, which is difficult for newbies and not very efficient if there isn't synergy between the cards.
Multi
 
Posts: 1234
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 6:59 am

Re: Sphere packs

Postby Skewer » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:06 am

If we do that, then what incentive do players have to ever buy outside of their sphere? Newbie train of thought: Since I can just buy my color, then why should I ever spend gran on cards I will never use? I vote more along the lines of structure decks, where they can buy a preconstructed file with a certain theme. They would more or less be starter file rarity so there is always room for improvement. Heck, I wouldn't even mind drafting up a few samples. I guess I'll start on it after class (on Labor Day even *sigh*)
User avatar
Skewer
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 12:49 am

Re: Sphere packs

Postby Multi » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:40 am

Because this is a different idea, and the idea of themed decks is so old, it makes me want to fall asleep. ASLEEP! ZZZZZ But yeah, I already suggested the themed packs several times as have others, so I felt like making this suggestion too, because I was bored. Also, on your argument against sphere packs, let newbies do what they want to do. We don't have a spending limit on how much gran you can buy like other games, so obviously Alteil doesn't give a **** about moral responsibility of making sure people don't overspend (like nearly every other f2p MMO), so why be concerned over saving newbies "from themselves?" We'd still have all the normal options available, and you could buy packs outside your sphere as well. Flexibility and options, it's true that choosing your color is the reason I initially brought up, but that wasn't the only reason. Why limit options just because we assume that newbies will ruin themselves with it? Eventually, probably most people will get interested in trying other spheres, especially when playing against them, but having a sphere pack would at least make it easier for newbies to get more bang for their initial bucks. Maybe if there were more reinforcement packs that didn't include random terrible cards with good cards, this wouldn't need to be even considered.
Multi
 
Posts: 1234
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 6:59 am

Re: Sphere packs

Postby Tendo » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:16 am

Skewer wrote:If we do that, then what incentive do players have to ever buy outside of their sphere? Newbie train of thought: Since I can just buy my color, then why should I ever spend gran on cards I will never use? I vote more along the lines of structure decks, where they can buy a preconstructed file with a certain theme. They would more or less be starter file rarity so there is always room for improvement. Heck, I wouldn't even mind drafting up a few samples. I guess I'll start on it after class (on Labor Day even *sigh*)


Maybe limit sphere packs to 1-3 stars card only?

Ppl still have to buy other sphere packs for some special ss or if they need some other sphere cards for dual sphere. And the normal set packs should have a higher rarity for 4 and 5 star cards.
Tendo
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:00 pm

Re: Sphere packs

Postby Jonathan » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:22 am

If they did this, the packs would probably cost more Gran than a regular booster, just due to being able to reduce the number of cards that you don't want to get. I would love it if it was implemented though.
User avatar
Jonathan
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:28 pm

Re: Sphere packs

Postby Multi » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:33 am

Jonathan wrote:If they did this, the packs would probably cost more Gran than a regular booster, just due to being able to reduce the number of cards that you don't want to get. I would love it if it was implemented though.


It doesn't really reduce the number of cards you don't want to get in a way. If you think about it, in each set, there's 4 colors, most players will actually want all 4 colors, but for making playable simple files, you have 1 out of 4 spheres to pull from but from a single set, in a sphere pack from set 1-5, it would be as if you had to pull from 1 out of 5 sets, but from a single sphere. In a more extreme example, in that, if you wanted a specific card from a certain set, but didn't want to get cards from other spheres in hunting this card.

You'd generally have more cards that are usable for your certain sphere's file, but you'll have to pull from a wider range of sets. I assume that's the reason people buy packs rather than play lotto after all, because they're looking for cards from a specific set. I guess in a way, sphere packs would be useless to people who already have a lot of cards from set 1-4 already for instance.
Multi
 
Posts: 1234
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 6:59 am

Re: Sphere packs

Postby Jonathan » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:38 am

Mmm, true, as more sets start to come out, the chances to get a card from a specific set gets smaller and smaller. Even if you are getting cards of only your sphere, you start to have a smaller chance to get something specific like Hellspawn / Zalzagul. So I could see these being fair at the same price as normal boosters.
User avatar
Jonathan
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:28 pm

Re: Sphere packs

Postby Skewer » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:42 pm

I just dont want to see people get stuck playing only one color, because you'd have to start from scratch if you wanted to play a new color. I'm thinking most people would just not switch, get bored, and quit instead.
User avatar
Skewer
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 12:49 am

Re: Sphere packs

Postby Phenoca » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:47 pm

Skewer wrote:I vote more along the lines of structure decks, where they can buy a preconstructed file with a certain theme.

Yes - but I disagree with selling 25 units at once, as I prefer the Reinforcement Pack size.

Multi wrote:making sure people don't overspend (like nearly every other f2p MMO),

Sarcasm?

Multi wrote:Maybe if there were more reinforcement packs that didn't include random terrible cards with good cards, this wouldn't need to be even considered.

Multi wrote:I guess in a way, sphere packs would be useless to people who already have a lot of cards from set 1-4 already for instance.

My problem with the packs is that I always already have some of the cards, and only want one or two (Gaia Soldier; Mermaid Spearfighter).

Skewer wrote:I just dont want to see people get stuck playing only one color, because you'd have to start from scratch if you wanted to play a new color. I'm thinking most people would just not switch, get bored, and quit instead.

Probably. At least - the free players would. But themed packs are a good idea! Maybe some for Magic Doll, Mercenary Nation, Healers, and ... Falkow-rush!!

I went from Refess tanking to SP-gen, to complaining about my lack of high-level tanks, to buncle-spam, to some more buncle-spam (it was the only effective file I could use, because I had a set 1 starter in Refess), to Leviathan-meta, to Falkow-rush.

And Falkow-rush is sweet. I would love to see more newbies using triples of Wizard Archer of Regus ;th2

Romdeau wrote:This poor thread keeps getting overlooked...merged.

Wait - what got merged??

Edit: I disagree with the merge.
User avatar
Phenoca
 
Posts: 1668
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:25 am

Re: Player Strike for Cost per Content

Postby Harterial » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:32 pm

Couldn't find the mentioned thread on Sphere Packs, but I'll add my support here. Sphere packs would be immensely beneficial for everyone. Among the top complaints I read/hear about from friends and new forum posters is that when they buy packs/boxes or lotto for cards, they rarely get cards of their sphere. Beginning iczers will care about cards for their sphere only. No matter how much old-timers here preach about "extending" into other spheres later on, it seems that most of the new players lack the patience and are instantly discouraged. If sphere packs were implemented, I'm quite confident the low-spending player count would increase drastically. Even veteran iczers would be tempted - in the end, most files focus on one or two spheres. Of course, the obvious problem with such a pack back in, say, set 3, was the low number of cards. Perhaps the sphere packs idea may not be implemented now, but when set 6 comes I think all the justifications are in place for having sphere packs be an option.
Harterial
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:54 pm

Next

Return to Safiria's Planning Bureau

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest