Sphere Packs

User suggestions to improve the game

Re: Sphere Packs

Postby DWildstar » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:49 pm

Remade your thread about Sphere Packs in the new forum Multi.
DWildstar

Postby Pancakes » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:11 pm

Theme decks would have an aweful effect on Folrart. So many backlashes. So many mirror matches. That's exactly what you DON'T want. It would put the poor nubs who throw all their gran into one popular theme at a serious disadvantage towards guys like me who have so many more options. I'd be able to predict their every move practically. The randomness of the cards you draw is a part of one's stregnth not weakness. Like the other day I beat a 1800+ RP guy who was on a 10+ winning streak all because I pulled a final one on him that he couldn't have known I had because I wasn't running a refess file.

Now if Mr. level 18 comes at me with a merc at the beginning I'll know exactly what he's up to. Which is first of all less fun for me, but also as I've said puts poor guy at a disadvantage.

I do like sphere packs though. I think it makes excellent sense for newbie players. Make it cheap. Limit the rarity to rarity 4.
Pancakes

Postby luckysvn777 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:38 pm

I don't get why the RP and win streak of the guy you beat is important? I'm sure he or she does not appreciate you bragging about it.

Anyway, I do agree with your point. Theme decks would cause that sort of backlash/predicitability problem. And being easily predicted is certainly a recipe for failure. I know my losses against you have been due to being unable to get a grasp on your strategy until too late, so being able to keep that random factor is always important.

Still, the more ways to get cards, the better, so I still think it should happen.
luckysvn777

Postby Multi » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:51 pm

DWildstar wrote:Remade your thread about Sphere Packs in the new forum Multi.

Yey, thanks.

I could understand the fear of backlashes from theme packs, but as long as they're theme PACKS and not theme FILES, there's always going to be some wiggle room, even within files one can still customize to your liking. If there's so much concern about such things in the first place, then the fact that there are meta files out there and such would be a concern too right? Well, sphere packs would have nothing to do with that, but on the matter of themed reinforcement packs, the key word would be "reinforcement." It's a supplement, to give players some direction and structure and the ability to purchase such key cards for certain files. Just because some "level 18" player throws out some merc, doesn't mean you know exactly what their gameplan is. You'd have to also assume that the ONLY purchase they've made is for a theme pack, and don't have any other cards up their sleeves.
Multi

Postby luckysvn777 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:56 pm

Oh, I was reading the whole theme deck as a theme file sort of thing. I don't quite get how theme packs would work?

Even then though, its not like backlash of themes and predictability doesn't occur anyway, so its probably not a problem.

Regarding the original topic though, I've been wanting sphere packs since Day 1. However, back then, with three sets only, it was rather silly to have.

Now that five sets are out, I think we have more than enough cards to be able to successfully implement sphere packs. It would be a great addition to the game, and would definitely help new players ensure they get cards to help out their starter for their first spendings. Please do consider it GM's ^^

EDIT: Side-thought.. there are so many great ideas for improvements to the card-getting system going around these days. I really really really hope a lot of these can be implemented :D
luckysvn777

Postby Peralisc2 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:07 pm

I want sphere packs too, but i still have the feeling this will be overlooked.
Peralisc2

Postby luckysvn777 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:09 pm

Peralisc2 wrote:I want sphere packs too, but i still have the feeling this will be overlooked.

Yea... :(
luckysvn777

Postby Pancakes » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:52 pm

luckysvn777 wrote:I don't get why the RP and win streak of the guy you beat is important? I'm sure he or she does not appreciate you bragging about it.

Anyway, I do agree with your point. Theme decks would cause that sort of backlash/predicitability problem. And being easily predicted is certainly a recipe for failure. I know my losses against you have been due to being unable to get a grasp on your strategy until too late, so being able to keep that random factor is always important.

Still, the more ways to get cards, the better, so I still think it should happen.

I'm not bragging. What's there to brag about? If I wanted to brag I'd be telling you how I'm undefeated against that guy too btw lol.

My point is that if you have 2 newbs. One buys theme packs or sphere packs of Lawtia, the other buys expansion packs. The one who purchases theme packs would not have the same option to change sphere in the middle of a game to bring out a unit that their opponent probably wasn't anticipating as it is of a different sphere and theme altogether. I notice that you're major file lately is a themed file. I noticed a lot of top player's have a theme file or a single sphere file primarily. If not to cross spheres just for grims.

This is all well and good. But there is another way of approaching the game altogether. I think that Arakis tries to hint at this quite often. Mix it up! The game would actually become cheaper if people stopped trying to complete all these theme files all the time. "Oh wait I can't play magic dolls until I get 3 copies of every command doll!!!! Please reopen EX card lotto so I can get the EX doll too!!!"

It doesn't have to be that way. That's my only point. I started relying on weirdo cards cuz they were the ones I had. And not to brag but lately some of the weirdo cards have been doing better than they used to. Why? Because of set 5. Set 5 changed a lot. And I don't believe people have explored that so far. that's my point. I wasn't bragging.

I'd hate to see Folrart become Crest #2. Where everyone uses the same low level cards over and over.
Pancakes

Postby luckysvn777 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:05 pm

Except that in 99% of cases, paying the extra SP to bring out a random card from another sphere doesn't work. Outside of multi-sphere files designed for that.
luckysvn777

Postby Multi » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:18 am

Theme packs would be more like, packs that lend themselves to a certain plan, rather than random cards. They don't have to include every card from a theme that could be made from that file, just really key ones perhaps. Or like I suggested, have a player poll every month or so to see what cards we should put in a reinforcement pack, having it happen often means we'd have a good cycle of cards go through, and having the players vote on it would mean we'd get to see the cards players actually want or need in them, within limit of 2* and 1* rarities.

The argument against sphere packs for ruining variety or sphere changing or 'mixing it up' is completely useless because you can get your random 1 card out of another sphere through 10gran lotto. It's cheaper that way, and it's not that impossible to get a 3set of a 1* from lotto. I've gotten over 90% of my cards through MM lotto. It's usually stupid as hell and inefficient to just randomly throw in some other sphere card into your file unless it's a file built for multisphering or it's a lvl1 card anyways. Sphere packs are just a way to let newer players feel they get more bang for their initial buck, to give them something usable quicker than if they just got set packs. It also allows to pull from all sets, so they aren't limited to a certain set when getting a booster, but they don't have to deal with the hassle of getting any sphere color from lotto, the extra cost also goes towards ensuring they get a minimum of 2 2*'s as well. Eventually the return per dollar will become lower and lower for a player the more they purchase a sphere pack, so they would eventually either a) buy sphere packs from another sphere b) start buying set packs or c) stop purchasing gran and just do lotto.
Multi

PreviousNext

Return to Safiria's Planning Bureau