Voluntary Handicap setting

User suggestions to improve the game

Voluntary Handicap setting

Postby Pancakes » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:45 am

Aww don't be like that I understand how he feels. But now I'm on the other side of the fence with so many cards of my own. So many options others usualy don't have. I think a voluntary Handicap setting would be nice. That way if a higher level handicaps himself say deactivating 2 random soul skills and sending say 5 random cards from his hand directly to the cemetary for the chance at bonus XP vs lower levels I think that would be great. Like if a level 100 fights a level 15. He can have an option of taking this handicap and if he still wins he will get like triple his normal xp + the public game bonus xp. It will give lower levels a real fighting chance. In fact I think handicaps would be an excellent idea.

Or another handcap could be to simply remove his last two soul cards from teh game entirely.

I think they should have a handicap. I mean, sometimes I feel like there isn't much my lower level opponent can do when I'm unleashing proxy after proxy on their face. And even if it's just something subtle like having a sweeping tidalwave card when they don't. One of those cards can make all the difference in teh world.

I mean I get to hand pick my soul skills from many more cards than they have. And I 'get it' that's just the way it goes der I bought my cards righ...

But anyway I'm about being a good sport. And I'd really like to give the newbies the option of playing with such a handicap as I mentioned earlier. It will really challenge higher levels as well to have to fight a newbie with one arm tied behind your back and a lot of EXP on the line!
Pancakes

My Cards Are Overpowered Vs Newbies

Postby Pancakes » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:59 am

Hi there.

As a money player I would like to say that sometimes I feel it counterproductive when a newbie enters Folrart only to become the latest test subject for my parade of 3-5 star cards. I think it might be more sporting if there was the option to give lower level players, say level 39 and under the ability to play higher levels with a handicap in their favor. If the higher level wins he gets more EXP. I was thinking something along the lines of deactivating 2 of the higher level's soul skills. Or sending some of the higher level's cards to the cemetary at game start. Or removing some of his overall LP and soulskills. I think it would be good to encourage newbies and to give them a fair chance to win as well as higher levels an option to gain more EXP (if they are good enough), as well as an interesting challange for higher levels and lower levels alike.
Pancakes

Re: My Cards Are Overpowered Vs Newbies

Postby luckysvn777 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:04 am

Uh yea, I for one would never ever use that handicap option. I can't think of anyone who would.

Cuz if they did, they'd be better off using the give-up button and just giving the newbie the free exp. Same result.

Besides, if I was the newbie, I'd be offended even by winning only because of a handicap. Ruins the nature of the game.
luckysvn777

Postby Peralisc2 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:17 am

Pancakes wrote:Hi there.

As a money player I would like to say that sometimes I feel it counterproductive when a newbie enters Folrart only to become the latest test subject for my parade of 3-5 star cards. I think it might be more sporting if there was the option to give lower level players, say level 39 and under the ability to play higher levels with a handicap in their favor. If the higher level wins he gets more EXP. I was thinking something along the lines of deactivating 2 of the higher level's soul skills. Or sending some of the higher level's cards to the cemetary at game start. Or removing some of his overall LP and soulskills. I think it would be good to encourage newbies and to give them a fair chance to win as well as higher levels an option to gain more EXP (if they are good enough), as well as an interesting challange for higher levels and lower levels alike.

Eh, if it's an option that you can switch on and off along with your mood, it's fine.

Anyways pancackes tell me when this gets implemented so i make a smurf account, i would enjoy beating a "cripple".
Peralisc2

Re: Voluntary Handicap setting

Postby Phenoca » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:43 pm

Pancakes wrote:Like if a level 100 fights a level 15. He can have an option of taking this handicap and if he still wins he will get like triple his normal xp + the public game bonus xp.

I like it!

And over one third of my EXP from levels 1-8 was from beating Big Red files with Rapidly Flying Apprentice SS. The Set 1 Refess Starter was so weak... But EX:3 Packs helped immensely :)

As a newbie, I found playing Folrart to be very much fun... Up until level 20.
Phenoca

Postby Pancakes » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:55 pm

luckysvn777 wrote:Uh yea, I for one would never ever use that handicap option. I can't think of anyone who would.

Cuz if they did, they'd be better off using the give-up button and just giving the newbie the free exp. Same result.

Besides, if I was the newbie, I'd be offended even by winning only because of a handicap. Ruins the nature of the game.

As opposed to using a sweeping tidal wave against a newbie who doesn't even know that is yet? If that's the nature of the game it needs to be 'ruined' if you ask me. Now that's just sweeping tidal wave, what if I use exchange of souls aganst a noob who's never seen it before after playing in Crest for 2 full weeks. What kind of win is that and oh yeah thanks for the 5 xp TOTALLY worth the past 20 minutes of game time.

Or if a noob desperately tries to defeat my Dalos but I keep oversouling him because I have 3 copies of oversoul and he has none.

In my mind there is already a handicap in place (IN MY FAVOR), an option like this would instead even the battle field.

I'd welcome the added challenge. And give them a chance to put up a decent fight. Sometimes it's almost sad how I see them summoning cards that will have no effect against my overarching strategy. It's kind of like...why don't they just sell me a Nuclear Explosion card. That's what it's like sometimes if your using a serious deck vs a noob. Like using lycan rush + fierte against some poor refess player who only has 2 guardians and no instant revival cards.

Let's give that guy a fighting chance. Until he reaches level 40, we'll give him training wheels. And HIGHER levels like you and I guess me now too, will not have to play 10-15 minute games just for 10XP. We'll get a bonus for voluntarily handicapping ourselves.
Pancakes

Postby luckysvn777 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:22 pm

In other words, according to you, the biggest handicap the new players have is lack of experience. And instead of giving them the experience they need and learn how good files are built and work, you'd rather them just get easy wins off of the two people who decide to auto-lose themselves to new players.

Because being handicapped will not teach them how to beat and use Oversoul or Dalos or Exchange of Souls. It will just baby them until level 40, when they'll then get their "training wheels" removed and proceed to get their butt handed to them because they haven't had to actually make a good file to win.

Hmmm, yea, that totally makes sense.
luckysvn777

Postby Romdeau » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:45 pm

If this suggestion were ever implemented, I would never use it.
Romdeau

Postby Pancakes » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:46 am

luckysvn777 wrote:In other words, according to you, the biggest handicap the new players have is lack of experience. And instead of giving them the experience they need and learn how good files are built and work, you'd rather them just get easy wins off of the two people who decide to auto-lose themselves to new players.

Because being handicapped will not teach them how to beat and use Oversoul or Dalos or Exchange of Souls. It will just baby them until level 40, when they'll then get their "training wheels" removed and proceed to get their butt handed to them because they haven't had to actually make a good file to win.

Hmmm, yea, that totally makes sense.

No, I didn't say it was experience I'm saying it's the cards. Do you think it takes a lot more experience than what you get from Crest in order to know when to use Oversoul or Sweeping Tidal wave? No, the problem with the matchup with say me and a newbie is that I may have 2 usable sweeping tidal waves, and 2 oversouls, AND 3 star dragons and 2 holy dragons, and a dragon emporer AND 3 salamanders. While he has... Zagar.

Let's see what are my soul skills... one EX Lelein, 2 of those cards that do 45-45-45 damage, and the other card that does 50-50-50 for 4 SP.

What are his cards? row damage.

It's not experience in a case like that. It's the cards that influence the outcome of this sort of matchup by about 80%

He may be thinking to himself all along, "If only I could backlash that salamander". But as a refess player he doesn't get any with his starter. New players are a lot smarter than you seem to think, it's just their cards are so out of date due to them being old starters, that they seem stupid when they bring Crest cards' agendas into Folrart.

I don't understand how you can say it's not the cards. When top players usually stick to 1-2 files repeatedly it's like you're afraid of changing YOUR cards. Why? Cards are quite important here. I think the newbies just need a easing in period. Not trial by un-fair fire.

Some of us enthusiasts are fine with it but just general gamers will smell the stinch of "Mismatch" from a mile away when they see all your refess units with agi 4 and higher hitting them for 70 damage and above. While their strongest unit only hits 70 att when it's buffed by two other units but it's agi is only 2 and it's hp is 25

Of course I'm not singling you out. 3 of my favorite units in the game require proxies in order to shine their brightest. Or at least a rare card to make summoning them easier like Catherina Withc Queen. So when I whip out the Broken Iron soldier that does 70 damage ignoring armor I mean... gee wiz what type of experiences will a guy need to beat that using refess starter? Of course he has a 10% chance, but let's just give me a slight handicap vs the newb and improve his chances to 35%.
Pancakes

Postby CallMeWBC » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:28 am

You can handicap yourself by playing wrong cards/skills at the wrong time on purpose.
CallMeWBC

Next

Return to Safiria's Planning Bureau