Tournaments Idea

User suggestions to improve the game

Tournaments Idea

Postby harvest4god » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:41 am

I sent this to arakis, but I wanted the general public to think on it too. They just released Arakis's Quest. Which puts a condition on a card file. We could have a Tourney every 2 weeks based on that condition. IE.. this current one is only using 1* cards. We could have a tourney with card files only being allowed 1* cards. This would increase the amount of tourneys we get and would provide a different tourney each week, plus provide a 2 week time frame to build the deck for it. Just a thought
harvest4god

Re: Tournaments Idea

Postby Skewer » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:54 am

And then everyone sends in the winner's file. Such a tourny could only happen after the contest is over.
Skewer

Postby Peralisc2 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:15 pm

Ya, but it can happen. So do you got a team to organize this? :P

I could help during the weekend only a bit with the recording. Well just maybe, not sure. :(
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby Logress » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:26 pm

I think the next comunity tournament will have "participation prizes" so no one goes away empty handed.
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Postby Gota » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:59 pm

Please make some weeknights/sunday tourneys.

Tired of missing the Sat ones cuz of work -___-
Logress wrote:Gota: I just looked at your lottery logs... I officially declare you the most unlucky man on earth.
Gota

Postby Xovian » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:50 pm

Gota wrote:Please make some weeknights/sunday tourneys.

Tired of missing the Sat ones cuz of work -___-

Ditto!
I'm Chromatic, I embody all Spheres.
Xovian

Postby harvest4god » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:50 am

Since community tourneys seem to be the way to go I think I am going to have to organize it. I have been part of both the last two hosted by Pera, who is a guildie of mine. I think I have to make some corrections to make it go more smoothly. The tourney will be after the deadline for submissions but before the results. This should prevent the GMS from getting a bunch of the same decks from the winning tourney winner while also preventing the winning deck from the contest to be used by everyone. Since the last ones were on the weekend, I am going to switch it up. I am scheduling it for Monday Sept 28, and I will be doing it 4 hours after maintaince. Thats 10:30 am EST (sorry my time zone) Every contest I will try to do at different days and different times to give all iczers a chance at a tourney. I will not accept entries, until the day of the tourney starting about an hour before. Pera had a ton of no shows, which caused major delays. So I will create the bracket on site before the tourney from anyone who shows up. this should prevent a bunch of delays. I will be making it double elim. So if a person never loses and makes it to the final. they have to be beat twice to be knocked out. Condition of tourney: you can only use 1* rarity cards. If you are found using anything higher than that, its instant DQ. I will just view random matches to verify. I will need some volunteers to record the final matches. And hopefully the GMS will step in with some prizes. I am going to tie these tourneys into Arakis Quest. So we should have one about every 2 weeks. So everyone get cracking on their deck ideas. and get ready for some fun. For any questions, or to volunteer for recording duties, I have made an email for this.... AQTourney@yahoo.com
GMS if you would be willing to also reward our recorders with maybe a point card or something for taking the time to help, it would be apprieciated. I will copy this post into the general forums as well.
harvest4god

Postby Skewer » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:48 am

harvest4god wrote:Since community tourneys seem to be the way to go I think I am going to have to organize it. I have been part of both the last two hosted by Pera, who is a guildie of mine. I think I have to make some corrections to make it go more smoothly. The tourney will be after the deadline for submissions but before the results. This should prevent the GMS from getting a bunch of the same decks from the winning tourney winner while also preventing the winning deck from the contest to be used by everyone. Since the last ones were on the weekend, I am going to switch it up. I am scheduling it for Monday Sept 28, and I will be doing it 4 hours after maintaince. Thats 10:30 am EST (sorry my time zone) Every contest I will try to do at different days and different times to give all iczers a chance at a tourney. I will not accept entries, until the day of the tourney starting about an hour before. Pera had a ton of no shows, which caused major delays. So I will create the bracket on site before the tourney from anyone who shows up. this should prevent a bunch of delays. I will be making it double elim. So if a person never loses and makes it to the final. they have to be beat twice to be knocked out. Condition of tourney: you can only use 1* rarity cards. If you are found using anything higher than that, its instant DQ. I will just view random matches to verify. I will need some volunteers to record the final matches. And hopefully the GMS will step in with some prizes. I am going to tie these tourneys into Arakis Quest. So we should have one about every 2 weeks. So everyone get cracking on their deck ideas. and get ready for some fun. For any questions, or to volunteer for recording duties, I have made an email for this.... AQTourney@yahoo.com
GMS if you would be willing to also reward our recorders with maybe a point card or something for taking the time to help, it would be apprieciated. I will copy this post into the general forums as well.

Way to make a tourney during the middle of classes...seriously. And the tourneys will mostly like be monthly b/c 2 weeks for submission followed by 1 week of judging and 1 week of break is about a month. Furthermore, I feel that these tourneys will unfairly bias the judging of the contest. The goal of the contest is not to judge the best file of its league, but the most competitive overall. Just because it can win against other 1* files does not mean that it can survive, lets say, a fierte. So files that win or lose the tournament might be second guessed when judged by arakis (not that I doubt his ability to fairly judge, but these things just happen, intentionally or not) At the very least, the winner or the tournament will probably get disappointed if he does not win the contest. And lets not forget, the contests will not always be this accessible. Just because everyone has lots of 1*, does not mean they will necessarily have all the mazoku or whatever. Theoretical filemakers will feel left out and once again, those with the cards win. I believe free players will find it more difficult to participate in these tourneys than open ones because as free players, they usually end up playing whatever they can. Take that away from them, and they will have next to nothing. On the other hand, players with all the cards will just throw something together and win. Go ahead and throw the 1* tournament, its a fine idea. But try to rethink some things before you decide to continue with the next ones.

On a side note, what do people think of a mono-color tournament. Each person would register to a certain sphere and would only play against players of the same sphere, until we decide the titles of "King of Refess, King of Lawtia, King of Gowen, King of Falkow"* From there, we may or may not pit them against each other depending on time and the number of participants. I figure it might be a bit stale to have pure mono-color, so splashing for up to 2 in any other sphere would be allowed. Soul cards must be of the same sphere. The sphere you register for will also be hidden so that people dont see "OMG Skewer is playing Falkow. Let's join that one for an easy win!" I'm reluctant to host it myself because I'd love to participate in it, but if anyone wants to help with it, I'm sure we could work something out.

*Queen if you prefer.
Skewer

Postby Phenoca » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:36 am

Logress wrote:I think the next comunity tournament will have "participation prizes" so no one goes away empty handed.

Yes.
And I personally prefer the original tourny times.

Phenoca wrote:
VanGopher wrote:Subject: New ideas for retention: let's just fix the veterans
leaderboard for wins with junk files. Any thoughts on what that could look like?

Yes!

Reminds me of Gospel SS openings (doesn't work without Fierte and Emerald Buncle).
flood + Pakistan = hunger
Phenoca

Postby edgarfigaro » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:39 pm

How long is this tournament going to last for? And it starts Monday not Tuesday right? At 10:30? Trying to update our Event Calendar page. Yeah you guys forgot we had one too right?
"what on earth did you just say? did someone nerf your keyboard?" ~Spears
I feel that way all the time Spears, all the time.
edgarfigaro

Next

Return to Safiria's Planning Bureau