How Bout Limiting Certain Cards In Decks

User suggestions to improve the game

How Bout Limiting Certain Cards In Decks

Postby GOSCAR » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:14 pm

Just an idea and please don't make nasty remarks on it.
Well anyways, many people have been saying how they hate seeing certain meta's or cards in general so how bout they put a restriction on how many, of certain cards, you are allowed to put in your deck. Like maybe only 1 of certain cards in a deck(return for example), how many grim overall your allowed (I say like maybe only allowing 5 grims in decks), or limiting how many different rarity cards you can have in a deck (like may be only 1 set of rarity 5*, 2 sets of rarity 4*, and 3 sets of rarity 3*).
One does not play alteil the way they want. -Gon

False Slash- Rom
GOSCAR

Re: How Bout Limiting Certain Cards In Decks

Postby Xovian » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:31 pm

GOSCAR wrote:Just an idea and please don't make nasty remarks on it.
Well anyways, many people have been saying how they hate seeing certain meta's or cards in general so how bout they put a restriction on how many, of certain cards, you are allowed to put in your deck. Like maybe only 1 of certain cards in a deck(return for example), how many grim overall your allowed (I say like maybe only allowing 5 grims in decks), or limiting how many different rarity cards you can have in a deck (like may be only 1 set of rarity 5*, 2 sets of rarity 4*, and 3 sets of rarity 3*).

No offense but it sounds like your ideas are to punish people who have gotten a fair amount of cards (whether a free or paying player).
I don't think such things are a good idea.
I'm Chromatic, I embody all Spheres.
Xovian

Postby neviscus » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:41 pm

plus this idea has been has been brought up and shot down many times
neviscus

Postby Romdeau » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:01 pm

Yes, it's similar to suggesting let's limit it so you can only use 2 playsets of 1 star cards, 1 playset of 2 stars and no other restrictions apply. It just doesn't make sense.
Romdeau

Postby Phenoca » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:23 pm

Romdeau wrote:Yes, it's similar to suggesting let's limit it so you can only use 2 playsets of 1 star cards, 1 playset of 2 stars and no other restrictions apply. It just doesn't make sense.

I actually like the idea of 1-2 rarity playsets : )
But not of banning specific units/grimoires.
flood + Pakistan = hunger
Phenoca

Postby NoFish » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:31 pm

I don't necessarily see a problem with limiting you to a certain number of high-end rarity cards, or an overall "rarity cap" for a file... woah! I just got a great idea for an Arakis Quest! brb. http://www.alteil.com/forum/index.php?f ... pic#p35621

Anyway, I can't really see this solving anything - files rarely use more than one set of 5*'s as it is. I think I've seen maybe two that used more than that in the whole time I've been playing alteil?
NoFish

Postby dwiguitar » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:04 pm

no, just no.

Not my fault Alteil is such a **** to new/low spending players.
dwiguitar

Postby Gota » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:22 pm

and higher rarity =/= more powerful.
Logress wrote:Gota: I just looked at your lottery logs... I officially declare you the most unlucky man on earth.
Gota

Postby RivalIczer » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:21 pm

I was actually going to suggest something similar: limiting the number of identical grimoires per file.

The idea is that you can have 3*unit, 3*character, but only 1*grimoire.

This would heavily reduce the power gap (<insert Luckysvn777's "it's experience!" rhethoric here>) of vets against newbies, by:

1) Reducing the difference in SP generation.
The newbie has at most 1 SP-generating grimoire of his sphere, the vet has 3 and a Proxy that allows him to use 3 more from another Sphere (usually Meaning of Failure, for obvious reasons).
That's SP+1 vs SP+9~12. With such a power gap, the game is usually decided before it plays out.

2) Limiting the impact of Return-spam.
Water Emperor+3 Returns+3 Cyclones... what's the newbie going to do? He barely has units/chars over lv3, let alone 3 copies (ok, the Gowen newbie has 3 Devouring Lizars. Good luck taking out Water Emperor and its cohort with that), and since he didn't play Proxy+up to 6 of a combination of MoF/Spirit Pact/Rapid Growth/Blessing Powder, he can't really field high-level units, anyway. At least not before it's too late.

3) Limiting the number of revivals.
Strong units are nice, and some of them (Mercenary, Guardian,...) have low rarities, so are availlable to newbies, with a bit of luck.

But you know what's nicer? Multiple copies of them.
It's disenhearting enough to know the huge efforts you needed to deploy to kill that ONE copy of <insert strong unit> are going to be needed twice more, but it's even worse when you see that Instant Revival/Over Soul/Parts Recycle/other reviving trick.
There's just no way for most starts to defeat 6 copies of most of the things fielded against them (us).
One copy? If the newbie is smart, s/he'll find a way.
Two copies? Hard but doable.
Three copies? It's going to require most of the file, a bit of luck and probably a mistake from the vet.
Four copies? REALLY hard, but not completely impossible.
Five copies? It requires a miracle. I think the only time I managed to kill 5 copies of a strong card was someone's Afel (Refess, don't have any damaging grimoires. He'd basically wipe my whole field before I could do anything)
SIx copies? Downright impossible.

As a major side-effect, we might start seeing some variety. Meaning of Failure could get 20 more alternate arts, all players would've seen all of them by lv16. That's how common the thing is.
RivalIczer

Postby Romdeau » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:05 pm

I like how you talk about Legrye as if everyone and their mother played it. He's incredibly rare, even among veterans-big blue just isn't popular. 3 Cyclones? I think 2 might be pushing it (unless you looooooooove to spam Primclone)- return is a common grimoire that is only efficient against level 3s or overbuffed 1s and 2s. In that case you should be using cyclone because it's probably more than just a single unit that got buffed.
Romdeau

Next

Return to Safiria's Planning Bureau