Won't somebody please think of the children?

User suggestions to improve the game

Re: Won't somebody please think of the children?

Postby Logress » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:34 pm

No, but there are rules against posting in the forums without reading previous forum posts on the subject. (And rules against flaming GMs and mods.) If there has been a suggestion made, and I write long post about how either (A-it can't be done for X reason), (B-it will be done after some time or conditions) or (C-we'd like to do it; there are a lot of hurdles but don't write it off) and then two months later someone makes the same suggestion or a suggestion that can be answered with either the above A, B or C, so I don't bother posting again... (although sometimes the reminder is welcome) well, that's not the same as sidestepping.

Between PM's, emails, in-game mail and the forums, we literally get 20 suggestions a day. We read EVERY LAST ONE, and many of them get discussed in our weekly meetings. We also write responses this long sometimes, probably more than we should.

Unfortunately, Alteil is not a game made and maintained by a few guys in a garage (sometimes I wish it was), it was created in an entirely custom manner by a team the Japanese no longer have contact with, much less us. It rides a delicate balance between 3 different game theories, and there are a lot of people involved who speak a lot of languages (business Japanese really constitutes a different language than normal Japanese, and I've seen translators with 10 years experience crumple when having to write official emails). Needless to say, working with it is not easy.

The support structure we have, at least, has many advantages, the game won't go away even in a slump, there will be people to stop us from doing something stupid that could mess up the game, if there is a catastrophic loss we have bigwigs in Japan yelling into phones for us to get it fixed, we get access to cross-promotions, etc. Normally the disadvantage would be that change would be close to impossible. But we've already proven that's not true. Yes, it can be slow. There is no instant gratification. We do try to implement at least one new thing a month.

We know it's frustrating when it seems like something would be so easy to fix takes months. (We really do know... How do you think we feel?) In the real world, in a real-time game that must run smoothly 24-7, with all the people and programs involved, even I am occasionally stupefied when it takes 20 man hours to fix the forum search because of all the custom web scripts and weird computer issues that pop up. But that's what it means to run a game, it means dealing with the problems that come up in practice, not theory, and making them work no matter what. At the end of the day that's what we have to do, make it all work. We may be the GM's, but we're also up front with our players. That's because we're also the site maintainers, the English language adapters, and the US half of the development team. We have nothing to gain by withholding improvements, putting things off or frustrating our players.

Oh, and if you don't think indicating someone is lazy counts as flaming, you must get a lot more R and R than I do.
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Postby Romdeau » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:35 pm

Multi wrote:is there some rulebook that says gms of all online games must state the obvious while sidestepping and ignoring all suggestions and complaints of the players?

Logress already responded to you, but I feel I have to say that this was out of line. I'm not sure where the hell that came from Multi; they're doing their best and I think it's clear (to me) that they are listening and most of the time responding.
Romdeau

Postby Eladin » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:05 pm

i thought that this topic was technically one that's been floating around for a pretty decent chunk of time now, and that being said, it's probably been talked to death just about.
i'm sure that because you didn't restate what you have for every other thread this time, must be part of where the idea that you're ignoring/sidestepping came in. apparently it's more important to complain about things not being exactly as you want it, rather than remembering any official word, and flaming over it.
in the end though, something has been done, and it seems that some are just fine with the change.
umm...get over it?

and really, i've played a lot of free to play mmo's and online games, and i don't think i've ever played one where the GMs are actually so communicative in the forums with the players. seriously, it's actually a little weird. (in a good way)
Tactics is knowing what to do when there is something to do. Strategy is knowing what to do when there is nothing to do.
- Savielly Tartakover
Eladin

Postby Logress » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:13 pm

It only gets really weird when we start communicating things like 'what are you wearing?' Oh, we kinda did that with Halloween. (for the record, the Mermaid was not my idea.)
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Postby Ginnazoh » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:20 pm

for the record, i thought that the halloween thing was pretty cool, and one of the reason I decided to stick with this game was because of how active the GMs/Mods were in the community.

maybe its just me, but i feel more confident of a game staying afloat when the gms are active as opposed to when the Gms/mods are no where to be found.
Ginnazoh

Postby Eladin » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:34 pm

Ginnazoh wrote:for the record, i thought that the halloween thing was pretty cool, and one of the reason I decided to stick with this game was because of how active the GMs/Mods were in the community.

maybe its just me, but i feel more confident of a game staying afloat when the gms are active as opposed to when the Gms/mods are no where to be found.

word.

lol, maybe it wasn't your idea Logress...but you pulled it off well. :)

i can't remember what the original point of this thread was...anybody? i think if the only topic that was previously open for discussion was the whole arena thing...then it's been answered. regardless of whether some folk seem to think...it hasn't been. a bunch. :P
Tactics is knowing what to do when there is something to do. Strategy is knowing what to do when there is nothing to do.
- Savielly Tartakover
Eladin

Postby Callonia » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:17 am

Other day I saw two GMs in chatroom for alteil the one you click ingame.

I was too stunned to even say anything. XD

I'd say out of all games, GMs have most presence in this game than any other game.

Pretty neato i'd say compared to wow.

One gotta search high and low, even when you manage to spot a GM. If you spot him, grab that screenshot and bail coz if he notices that you saw him, you're going to get a ban because its very likely you're in a forbidden territory. Espically in wow.

Say good bye to your epics XD
Callonia

Postby garcia1000 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:28 am

I support idea of RP arena!!! beacuse it is tough in forlart!

I got an idea, u can name it "RP ARENA"
"Pixies are all level 2, right? So why not try to drop cyclone on them?"
garcia1000

Postby 091888 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:04 am

maybe upgrade the training arena to every match everyone get 1 gran the requirement they have to fight more than 15 rounds ,encourage ppl to go to training arena

Previous

Return to Safiria's Planning Bureau