Pointcard system needs to be reworked

User suggestions to improve the game

Pointcard system needs to be reworked

Postby Visfarix » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:42 pm

Obviously this has been a topic of much interest to everyone in the game ever since point cards came out. Many suggestions have been made to try and fix this but I have yet to see any really implemented, so I've decided to list out a bunch of problems with point cards and make some suggestions.

First and foremost on everyone's mind is the obtaining of point cards. The FM price is most certainly too high. 2500 FM per point card makes just a 1star card 25,000 FM which is pretty ridiculous and no gran price for point cards makes them very hard to attain. However GMs have already stressed that point cards are more for completing your set of cards rather than for buying singles so you can have 3 of everything, so no gran price is understandable. Also, since GMs have been making more events and giving out more point cards to everyone, I have less to complain about. My only suggestion is to lower the FM price, even if only by 100 FM. I imagine 2000 or 1500 FM per point card would be the ideal price, but only the GMs can decide this, so I'll leave it up to them.

Second, and the one I want to complain most about, is rarity to point card ratio. 10 point cards per star is JUST WRONG. And whats with the 20 point card jump from 3star to 4star? It would make more sense I think for the 20 point card jump to be between 4star and 5star cards. The only card ratio I agree with is 60 point cards = a 5star card. Anyway my suggestion for this would be to change the rarity to point card ratio so that it is in a more geometric growth rate then linear. So for example point card exchange rates should look more like this:

7 point cards = 1 star card
15 point cards = 2 star card
25 point cards = 3 star card
40 point cards = 4 star card
60 point cards = 5 star card

Really I imagine this would be one of the easiest things to change about point cards, so I'm kind of surprised no one has done anything about it or even really suggested it.

Actually I can't really think of anything else so if anybody else has anything to add, please do. Also feel free to criticize as I may be wrong, misinformed, or just ignorant on some of these points.
Visfarix

Re: Pointcard system needs to be reworked

Postby luckysvn777 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:33 pm

The point card system may be one of the biggest problems in the game, as its, in my opinion, the worst of the "bad" systems the game uses to get cards (by bad, i'm looking at you, set 5 rates... seasonal lotto rates.. tsk tsk). But the point card prices are obscene.

However, this topic has been done to death. We've said this a million times. The higher-ups know about our displeasure with the system. Nothing has happened. At this point... don't hold your breath.

Although I will admit the great increase in point card giveaways (more in contests, tourneys, article writing, 5 of 7 events) are a good step. Cost per card and/or FM cost still needs to reduced though.
luckysvn777

Postby Romdeau » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:40 am

The point card system is bad, the GMs know it and eventually we will see what they think is for the best. Currently they're just giving out more opportunities to earn point cards, perhaps this has gone unnoticed in the community?
Romdeau

Postby luckysvn777 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:23 am

*points to above post*

Oi, I noticed Rom ^^

Problem is though that these events, besides maybe tourney participation and the 5 of 7 events, cater greatly to vets, not new players. The new players, if anything, are the ones who need them the most... so its a problem.

If point cards were cheaper, Alteil could become somewhat grindable. That's a good thing. It means more people playing, and more new players.
luckysvn777

Postby Callonia » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:27 am

Huh?

But isn't 5 of 7 doable for even newbies, just play one game a day that lasts for at least 10 rounds ..??
Callonia

Postby luckysvn777 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:01 am

Unless they have it every week, it will still take them about a month and a half - two months for them to even get a 1 star card...

Its accessible to them, yes... but its not enough for them.
luckysvn777

Postby Logress » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:18 am

We're looking into a few ways to make the Point Card system more useful, and we've got a pretty good handle on what people have been saying about it. Of course, we're always open to new ideas.
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Postby Multi » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:12 pm

forget point cards and make an FM auction house :V
Image Sometimes, it's like this.
Multi

Postby Romdeau » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:32 pm

Or how about your avatar stops eating whatever the hell it's eating.
Romdeau

Postby bob000 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:07 pm

I also would like to voice in favor of a more exponential point card system.

Free players bring value in so far as they contribute to the community. The point card system rewards community building. However the current linearish distribution suggests using point cards only for 4/5 star rares. Free players looking for a specific card on the other hand are more likely after a third copy of a 1-3 star. Reducing the cost of these cards would make grinding easier. Since big spenders are often after sets of chase rares I don't think sales would be adversely affected.
bob000

Next

Return to Safiria's Planning Bureau