a proposal for loser XP

User suggestions to improve the game

a proposal for loser XP

Postby Multi » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:31 pm

So, this doesn't particularly matter to me, but there have been several theads on the topic of loser xp and increasing it, and the counter argument that it opens up doors for abuse.

Now this suggestion once again goes towards the programmer guy of this game, and is probably a lot of work, but there's a similar system in another game i play.

Basically, we increase the xp for the loser to something like half of the winning xp (so if you lose to some low level, you still get next to nothing, if you lose to some lvl 100+ you'll get an appropriate amount for the handicap, i'd say rp but xp formula isn't based on that :V). From here on, there are only conditions which decrease the xp.

1. Full loser xp given to an opponent who loses normally, 10 rounds and over. (so no just skipping every turn)
2. When an opponent gives up, the other player must either accept or decline their forfeit, if declined, the original player can choose to forfeit again and receive 1xp like usual, if accepted, the loser receives somewhere between half to full loser xp.
3. Disconnects count for 1xp. Timeout losses also count for 1xp.
4. Certain kinds of abuse are kept on record, and after a certain amount, loser xp gained is decreased until it reaches 1xp no matter what. If abuse continues, their winner xp decreases as well.

Well, that's just a general outline of the idea. Since we can't pick our opponents, I can't suggest the system where good players get like, wings on their player icon, or quitters turn grey though.
Image Sometimes, it's like this.
Multi

Re: a proposal for loser XP

Postby Phenoca » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:13 pm

#1 - is with respect to the handicapped XP formula?
#2 - why would you decline a forfeit? I would rather have an "offer draw", since... Ever since I got a meta, I've been doing that.
#4 - does having a weak file count as abuse? Because I remember playing at least 50 consecutive games before getting a 2-game win streak. Apparently I would have done better if I had logged-in at peak times.

I would much appreciate if the gran-loss from losing with 0 LP were removed.

Because - today was the first week since November that I got more than 11 gran from Folrart.

I also favor the idea of treasure battles including two cards, and the loser gets the leftover.
flood + Pakistan = hunger
Phenoca

Postby Multi » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:48 pm

Phenoca wrote:#1 - is with respect to the handicapped XP formula?
#2 - why would you decline a forfeit? I would rather have an "offer draw", since... Ever since I got a meta, I've been doing that.
#4 - does having a weak file count as abuse? Because I remember playing at least 50 consecutive games before getting a 2-game win streak. Apparently I would have done better if I had logged-in at peak times.

I would much appreciate if the gran-loss from losing with 0 LP were removed.

Because - today was the first week since November that I got more than 11 gran from Folrart.

I also favor the idea of treasure battles including two cards, and the loser gets the leftover.

#1 I thought losers just get 1xp, period lawl. I dunno, like i said, the loser xp issue doesn't really concern me, but i just felt like writing for the sake of the losers.

#2 some people like to play out their file and see how it goes, it's also a kind of player responsibility keeping type thing, to keep someone who you suspect might be trying to abuse a quick loss to get xp.

#4 i'd say no, because if you kept playing out your games to 10 turns or so, you'd be much better off winning some of the times too, than just losing for xp.

losing gran for losses, yeah, that sometimes kept me from playing in the past. I think the concern is people would just quit as soon as they didn't think they could win so they could start up another game asap. This would probably lessen the enjoyment of other players who want to play their games fully. If not for that, I think if a person wants to play a TON of games, let them be rewarded with extra gran, and not be punished for not being as skilled or not having the money to afford primclone.
Multi

Postby Phenoca » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:39 pm

Multi wrote:I think the concern is people would just quit as soon as they didn't think they could win so they could start up another game asap.

But if the penalty was only for losing before getting 0 LP, then this wouldn't be an issue.
Phenoca

Postby Peralisc2 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:10 pm

#2 dosn't change anything

And for nice lulz i would probably always deny a forfeit. :D

Loser xp would be nice, but only because you could gain mass xp from it and finally get somewhere by playing and being active.
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby Otonashi » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:51 pm

What if, every week at rankings, whoever went the entire week without pressing the Give Up button got a couple point cards?
Otonashi

Postby Multi » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:12 am

Otonashi wrote:What if, every week at rankings, whoever went the entire week without pressing the Give Up button got a couple point cards?

well, in games like chess and go, it's proper etiquette to give up when you know you've lost.
Multi

Postby Otonashi » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:38 pm

Multi wrote:
Otonashi wrote:What if, every week at rankings, whoever went the entire week without pressing the Give Up button got a couple point cards?

well, in games like chess and go, it's proper etiquette to give up when you know you've lost.

<.< I have a feeling that those games are far less prone to ragequits and XP farming. And I thought you were suggesting loser XP to stop people from just giving up but it seems I'm mistaken.
Otonashi

Postby Multi » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:14 pm

Otonashi wrote:
Multi wrote:

<.< I have a feeling that those games are far less prone to ragequits and XP farming. And I thought you were suggesting loser XP to stop people from just giving up but it seems I'm mistaken.

No, I was just bored :V I don't care about loser xp at all, i'm fine with people quitting on me. The safeguards are just there for peace of mind for the gm's sake lawl.
Multi

Postby Phenoca » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:09 pm

Chess: 3-4 hour games
GO: I don't know, but I would like to play someone.

I only Give Up during treasure battles.
How many point cards would that net me?
I don't think that there should be a reward for "not giving up".

Also... Regarding XP-farming, it doesn't even matter.
I can EXP-farm to level 50, and I'll still be better off if I just get 100 gran from Mirage Master, donate $10, and buy 3 packs from EX 5.
Depending on which sphere you choose.
Phenoca

Return to Safiria's Planning Bureau