Fix for PointCard System

User suggestions to improve the game

Re: Fix for PointCard System

Postby luckysvn777 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:37 pm

ten point cards per month

In terms of battle FM, its much longer than that.

However, if they use achievements, do a lot more 5 of 7's, and use tournies (participation prizes) to get close to the 10 pc a week value Logress mentioned, the system could work.

In they don't plan on doing that though very soon, the system NEEDS a fix..
luckysvn777

Postby Demongod » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:51 pm

Tourney participation only? How much would it cost to enter the tourney? If it'd simply be a free way of encouraging more people to play, that'd be one thing. But if it'd be a gran sink and you'd have to place in the top X or something, that'd be bad since it'd only reward those with the best files and spread the gap between the primcloners and DEFSers and everyone else.
Nerf Elite Fencer. Change start skill to "target unit of agi 4 or higher gets AGI = 3. Then, this unit gets AGI = 4 for this turn and ATK +10"

For the great justice of the diverse meta.
Demongod

Postby DDrgn » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:15 pm

Depends on how said tournament is constructed. Community tourneys held in the past(end of summer-ish is when someone decided to host one, I think), have had plenty of participation, probably for the point cards alone. No gran entry fee necessary.

If the Alteil team hosts and official tourney...like this one I suppose : http://www.tcgplayer.com/db/game_review ... 384&DBID=4 Then EVERY PLAYER, regardless of current card pool size, would be able to use EVERY card available. So every player could use a meta file if they wanted.

Yes, the current conversion rates are less than desirable at this point, but that's probably because Point Cards aren't as easily obtained as one would think/hope/want. All my FM goes toward avatar stuff.

I'm going to have faith in the achievement system which will hopefully allow more point cards to be acquired more easily. Considering that Logress' STATE OF ALTEIL address mentioned "first or second quarter," the wait will probably be a while.
( ゚ ヮ゚)b
DDrgn

Postby Demongod » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:36 pm

The problem with using a meta file is that you have no idea how to use a meta file. I know that Romdeau's primclone, for instance, is far better than my primclone, even if we used the same cards, Romdeau has much more experience with what few bad matchups Primclone has.

So it still wouldn't be fair for freebies since they simply don't have experience with meta files to know what the ups and downs are, and how to play around them.
Nerf Elite Fencer. Change start skill to "target unit of agi 4 or higher gets AGI = 3. Then, this unit gets AGI = 4 for this turn and ATK +10"

For the great justice of the diverse meta.
Demongod

Postby luckysvn777 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:13 pm

Personally I think tournies should:

a.) Be free and/or very easy for players to access

b.) Have participation bonuses.. but other incentives for people to do more than just participate.

c.) Offer play different from that of Folrart. Create restrictions of some sort to both make things different and give new/old players a chance. So its not just Primclone vs DEFS.
luckysvn777

Postby DDrgn » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:16 pm

Finally, and perhaps most interesting, is Alteil's tournament system. Tournaments in Alteil are not simply limited to you putting your deck up against an opponent's deck. Alteil has run sealed deck tournaments, starter deck only tournaments, and perhaps most interesting all-card tournaments, where every entrant temporarily has access to every card in the game. In addition, they have several different tournament modes including “star-battle” where you aim to steal stars from other players by beating them, and of course basic modes like elimination. The tournaments in Alteil are meant to do more than simply decide who's deck is best, they appear to be designed to allow people to play the game in ways they normally wouldn't be able to. Some tournaments are free to enter, while some have paid entry fees which normally hover around 300 Gran (3 dollars).

Source: http://www.tcgplayer.com/db/game_review ... 384&DBID=4

Yes, that article is old, but now that point cards have been implemented, the GM's would probably give point cards now anyway, regardless of tourney format.

Still like the following ideas if the GM's decide to change point card conversion rates:
http://www.alteil.com/forum/index.php/topic?f=50&t=3505
http://www.alteil.com/forum/index.php/topic?f=50&t=3858

Or do both of those. :)
( ゚ ヮ゚)b
DDrgn

Postby Metallix » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:20 pm

Well for a tournament I would say the first thing they should do is set up certain cards that are too powerful to be used in tournament play.

Likely that would entail all the EX cards at the very least since they are limited time cards with no way to be gotten once the time is over "EX lotto doesn't count because it doesn't exist" with some other cards being excluded if there found to be too gamebreaking.
Metallix

Previous

Return to Safiria's Planning Bureau