xp and gran gerneration overhull needed

User suggestions to improve the game

xp and gran gerneration overhull needed

Postby thebattousai » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:21 pm

It is great that Alteil does not require a monthly fee to play and does have built in ways for people to get started and very very very slowly get cards without paying a cent, but I believe it could be better. I think that for a game that bills itself as the "Free Web Based Card Battle Game" it has a long way to go to bridge the gap between people who want to play free and people who have extra money to burn. The gap could be bridged by an overhall of the xp and current gran generating systems. I know its an old argument, but maybe if enough people reiterate it, somebody will take action. Plus I think some of my ideas have not been said before.

First the xp system. Lets face it...for newbies its an alright system, but after level 20 it's worthless. Also, generating xp is also troublesom for those who haven't spent a cent on the game. So, I would propose ramping up the value of xp by giving out gran equivalent for the level (i.e. level 20 = 20 gran...level 50 = 50 gran). This should probably have a cap put on it somewhere between level 100 and 200. Also it should make it so you can choose ANY (not just a choice of 4) card of your choice up to a 4-rarity every 20 levels (it should still leave in the one of four 5-rarity cards every 10 levels between 100-200). Now to tackle the troublesome nature of gaining xp. Those of us who can't afford to spend a cent on this game have trouble winning. You can say this game is about skill all you want, but you're only fooling yourself. I'm not saying skill isn't involved, and if the game did get overhulled it would be more about skill. However, if you would currently take a starter deck and throw it up against somebody who has spent >$100.00. Most of the time, you will lose. The current xp system will only give you 1 xp per loss. That makes no sense to me. It should take into consideration the following 2 factors for a loss: number of turns played and percentage of LP the opponent has left (it does have to be percentage so that it takes into count for some of those pesky 5LP decks).

Now to the gran generating systems. I see a lot of hate going towards MM, but I like it. 10 gran a day for flipping 12 cards, I can live with that. I have also touched base on a gran generating system through xp, so read the above again if you want. Another place i find room for improvement is the weekly ranking gran gerneration. It is horrible for those of us who play for free and I think we should not be penalized for losing. It should just give us 0 for a loss. Also, the minimum should be tweaked. It should be a minimum of 10 gran if 1-10 games were played past round 10. 20 gran if 11-20 games were played past round 10...and so on and so forth up to 50 games (kudos to you if you have time to play 50 games in a week).

I think if these ideas were implemented we would see the gap between free players vs pay players would close in to a point where the game would be more based on skill and more enjoyable for all. I do realize that the great folks at Alteil are not in the charity business and that they rely on the pay players to generate revenue to maintain the servers, but there are other ways to generate revenue, such as add space, offering special avatars for $$$, offering special card art for $$$, offering special usable items for $$$, or even asking for donations.
thebattousai

Re: xp and gran gerneration overhull needed

Postby 091888 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:35 pm

use ads to get $$$ player click on that ads get 1 gran everyday ok ?

Postby crimsonshade » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:08 am

Personally, I don't think xp is that big of a deal, and it's certainly not a motivator to play more games. Not when you get past lvl 20 at least. Xp is more of a reward rather than a goal with respect to playing more games.

Another place i find room for improvement is the weekly ranking gran gerneration. It is horrible for those of us who play for free and I think we should not be penalized for losing. It should just give us 0 for a loss. Also, the minimum should be tweaked. It should be a minimum of 10 gran if 1-10 games were played past round 10. 20 gran if 11-20 games were played past round 10...and so on and so forth up to 50 games (kudos to you if you have time to play 50 games in a week).

This is probably more the driving force behind playing games, if any. I think changing losses to 0 will indeed boost activity in the arenas, and I think this has been mentioned before. Maybe even placing a cap at 30 gran, by which time losses count as -1 again, will reduce the losses that Alteil will make with this system.

I think if these ideas were implemented we would see the gap between free players vs pay players would close in to a point where the game would be more based on skill and more enjoyable for all.

I'm a bit skeptical about this happening. Ultimately, paying players pay to get an advantage over the free players. And with the direction these sets are going, they're just going to keep getting stronger.
crimsonshade

Postby Doki » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:38 am

A bit off topic, but it's a suggestion to boost players in the arena anyway.

Why not incorporate alteil in facebook? >.<
I so want this led hdtv.
Doki

Postby Demongod » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:37 am

Actually the idea of obtaining cards (whether to modify your deck with or recycle) IMO is a pretty big motivator.

Also, well, see, I'm not the only person supporting an ad-based model.

Furthermore, the idea of "pay to receive advantage over free" sort of defeats the purpose of having a competitive game, doesn't it?
Nerf Elite Fencer. Change start skill to "target unit of agi 4 or higher gets AGI = 3. Then, this unit gets AGI = 4 for this turn and ATK +10"

For the great justice of the diverse meta.
Demongod

Return to Safiria's Planning Bureau