A lotto revision

User suggestions to improve the game

A lotto revision

Postby DanTheTimid » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:13 pm

This a suggestion I made in a thread the other day I figured I'd dedicate a thread to. As I have a tendency to ramble let me get right to what the suggestion is, then go into the why I'm making it and why I think it would benefit everyone, all types of players, and even the alteil staff themselves:

Changes:

Primary - Alter the lotto such that it no longer gives any cards from the most recently released set of cards but always gives the same rarity rates as it currently does during Rarity Up lotto events.

Additional - Create a new lotto, also 10 gran, which has the old 10 gran lotto rates, but only draws cards from the latest set.

Reason:

When the 10 gran lotto was first initiated I thought it was the greatest thing Alteil had ever seen. Lots of cards could now be acquired at a very reasonable price for low spenders and free players could collect cards at a much more enjoyable rate. Then something happened. A new set came out. Because through using the lotto I already had pretty much all the 1*s from the old sets, even though all I wanted from the new set was the 1*s, it now cost me huge sums of gran again to actually get any new cards, too much of my gran was being wasted on cards I already had and recycled into oblivion. Suddenly the lotto had become useless to me, if I wanted new cards I had to buy packs/boxes.

Still, I thought, at least the lotto is still useful to new players. Then something happened again. Another set came out. And another. Soon the number of cards in the lotto's pool was so great that even for new players getting an actual playable 3 card set of anything had become extremely expensive and extremely difficult. Getting a large number of cards for cheap was useless if you didn't have enough copies of anything to use any of them.

Finally, one more thing happened. We had a lotto rarity up event. The thing about these events is that, because the recycle gran per gran paid rate is pretty solid, even if your getting a lot of repeats or even if your getting a lot of single or double copies of things and triplets of nothing, through recycling you could pretty consistently turn a reasonable amount of gran into actually usable new cards. The lotto up event was not to stay though, it was merely used as a way to get people to spend on old set cards prior to a new set of cards being released. A smart business concept to be sure as the new sets are always the ones that sell the best so your pushing old, less desired product, via giving a good deal.

So that brings us to today. Right now there is no running lotto rarity up event. The lotto is relatively useless to veteran players like myself because we mostly only need the newest cards, and not all that useful to new players either do to the sheer size of the card pool the lotto draws from and the fact alteil pretty much requires you own 3 copies of a card if your going to actually use it. Whether new or old, if you actually are willing to spend the big bucks needed to get playable copies of new cards out of the lotto your just generally better of putting it into boxes. What was once one of the greatest tools of alteil has become something thats pretty much only useful to new non-paying members with a lot of patience.

Thus the motivation behind my suggestion(s). By making the lotto always have the increased rarity rates its possible for veterans who have all the 1*s to still potentially recycle their way to 2*-5*s they need from old sets using the lotto, and its possible for new comers to more quickly and easily catch up with veterans as well as recycle their way to actual playsets of 1*s. Since you can't get the latest set the suggestion also helps the bottom line by only moving out dated old product at these better rates.

My additional (and optional) second suggestion also helps both new and existing players. Though this second lotto has the old lotto rates, because it only draws from the newest sets card pool it serves the same purpose the lotto used to serve, allowing players who only spend a little to at least collect playsets of the 1*s from the latest set. If you feel drawing from a single set is too small a card pool the suggestion could be tweaked such that the classic lotto draws from all but the two most recent sets and this additional lotto draws from the two most recent sets, but either way the key is that we have a lotto with a small enough card pool that players can actually hope to get playsets of 1*s while players are able to get slightly superior value if they're willing to limit themselves to old cards.

Overall I'd say this idea is aimed at all spenders, from non spenders to big spenders a like. Big spenders can, as they have in previous lotto up events, use the increased rates to finish of their collections of old sets they previously had no intention of putting any more money into. Mid to low spenders can not only more easily fill their collections of old cards, but also get 1* playsets of the new sets at the rates of money they're willing to spend. And finally non spenders, whom the lotto already was pretty nice to, now find that its not only a little easier for them to keep up with the meta do to being able to being able to get 1*s from the latest sets, but that the classic lotto is a little bit nicer to them then it used to be as well. Everyone's a winner. And since it encourages veterans big spenders to spend more on old sets they've long since stopped spending on and new or veteran mid to low spenders to spend more on both lottos as just in general feel like they're getting more value for their spending, it also should bring in more revenue making the alteil staff winners too.

Anyway that's just my idea.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Re: A lotto revision

Postby neviscus » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:03 pm

i like this idea. It doesn't seem to abusable at first glance, I am sure someone will correct me though
neviscus

Postby DanTheTimid » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:14 pm

neviscus wrote:i like this idea. It doesn't seem to abusable at first glance, I am sure someone will correct me though

:) That does seem to always happen doesn't it, no matter what the idea is or who suggested it seems some one always finds something wrong with it to comment on.

I think the beauty or elegance of the primary suggestion here is that its basis is not a new concept, we've had the lotto rarity up events for some time and this suggestion is basically just making the lotto work like those events. The only controversial part of the primary suggestion is losing out on access to the latest set cards via lotto, but as I mentioned in my long rant, as things stand if you want the latest set cards you really shouldn't be using the lotto for that purpose anyway. And of course the additional suggestion deals with that controversial part of the primary suggestion, but then the additional suggestion is itself far more controversial, so theres lots of areas for people to attack, but I'm hopeful that the fact that in theory everyone, all players and alteil staff a like, benefit from these suggestions, will get the suggestion more supporters then hate.

Anyway, regardless, thank you for your support of the idea ^_^
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby Demongod » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:22 pm

The problem being, as DanTheTimid stated, is that cards are released faster than free players could collect them, even assuming you got no repeats. So even doing as DanTheTimid suggested, while it would be nice, I don't really think would be a panacea that he's making it out to be.

However, it's certainly a good idea to mix in among others.

So I'm +1ing this!
Nerf Elite Fencer. Change start skill to "target unit of agi 4 or higher gets AGI = 3. Then, this unit gets AGI = 4 for this turn and ATK +10"

For the great justice of the diverse meta.
Demongod

Postby neviscus » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:26 pm

As long as the rates stay the same, there won't a bigger chance to get a 5* as much as I know so not really abusable there, are you wanting it to be permanent? I could see sense in that. As long as it only gives the new set, my big thing is to find a balance between the big gran spenders and the free 10 gran a day + ranking people. so I week or two seems too short

I really hope this made sense, please ask me to reiterate if it doesn't
neviscus

Postby crimsonshade » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:36 pm

With regards to the lotto rarity up event, I think the rates are actually higher than even the Gold Box rates with regards to rares. On average, Gold Box rates are about 1.6 5* per box I think, while I got 5 x 5* for much less than the Gold Box (but I recycled them all T_T), and there were a lot who got their 5* only at 300 gran pulls or so. So I'm thinking maybe they're higher than what most people think.

If they're not willing to make Gold Boxes permanent, then I'm not sure about this one either.

But I can safely say that the lotto event did give me full playsets of 1-2* as was your intended purpose, so I like this idea.
crimsonshade

Return to Safiria's Planning Bureau