Less repeats in boxes

User suggestions to improve the game

Less repeats in boxes

Postby MTCosta » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:22 pm

So I bought a Gold Box and 30 of the cards in it were repeats. 8 Tigers, 7 Dragonbreaths, etc.

I know that this game attempts to make money by ripping people off, but how about something in the box formula that reduces your chances of getting repeats? You don't have to totally remove the chance of repeats, that wouldn't help the rip-off scheme, but maybe once a box has given 3 copies, the chance of a 4th copy is 5% lower, and if you do get a 4th copy, the chance of a 5th is 10% lower. Something less discouraging than the current situation.
MTCosta

Re: Less repeats in boxes

Postby Demongod » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:22 pm

This is why I say you should never ever be allowed to obtain a 4th copy of anything. Ever. If people are paying real money for gran, why the heck are they getting stuff that they literally have to throw away?

See, in TCGs, you can at least trade your extras.

Here? Oops.
Nerf Elite Fencer. Change start skill to "target unit of agi 4 or higher gets AGI = 3. Then, this unit gets AGI = 4 for this turn and ATK +10"

For the great justice of the diverse meta.
Demongod

Postby GOSCAR » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:39 pm

Altiel=business, business need to make money or they don't last long i.e. GM, Bank of America, everything else thanks to Obama.
One does not play alteil the way they want. -Gon

False Slash- Rom
GOSCAR

Postby InigoMontoya » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:49 pm

I hear you, MT. If you are going for 1 and 2 stars, I would probably recommend against the Gold Boxes and instead encourage you to consider packs or regular boxes. The key thing for Gold Boxes is 4 and 5 stars. You are probably more likely to complete sets of 1 and 2 stars with packs and regular boxes. If you are going for four and five stars, then you'll have completed your 1 and 2 star sets on the way (easily) and they don't need to waste time programming 5% probability decreases because almost all the 1 and 2 stars you get will be recycled.
InigoMontoya

Postby LoneKnight » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:02 pm

GOSCAR wrote:Altiel=business, business need to make money or they don't last long i.e. GM, Bank of America, everything else thanks to Obama.

You know how business make money?

They sell their products.

Do you know how you sell a product?

You make it available at an affordable price.

You know what happens to a business that can't do that?

It will be at a loss.

Do you know where Alteil US had been in the last 1 and a half years?

I don't. But I wouldn't be surprised if they had been at a loss.
LoneKnight

Postby ANIMEniac » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:25 pm

Damn those RL CCGs, always giving copies of those commons and uncommons.
Trade them? I wish I could have traded all the worthless commons. I usually have to give them away or throw them out.

Now, as a way to reduce multi copies, yea, i sure wish there was improvement. I myself got 8 copies of a 2* card form gold box.
As a business thing (and relation to CCGs), the whole random card thing is part of the game. If you could never get repeats, what happens when you get all of the 1-2*s? You get packs of 3*s?
Please thing a little more about the consequences before just throwing them out thinking it is a great idea...
As for multi copies, at least I can recycle the mass common 1-2* for a little return.

And come on people, b/c your "random" was so bad you go off saying "this game is ripping me off".
The whole chasing cards is part of the incentive for people to buy.
ANIMEniac

Postby Demongod » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:48 pm

Or instead of chasing cards, we can simply demand that their abilities be made available at a lower rarity for more players to have access to those abilities.

I don't care if you have Bringer or Shin, so long as there's a comparable 1 or 2 star.

The problem comes when rares aren't just more interesting, but also have abilities exclusive only to that rarity, which opens up a whole new potentially devastating metagame'd deck, such as EM, Primclone, etc...

As for "what happens when I have all the 1 stars and 2 stars", then packs you buy you will be able to keep recycling for no gain (30x5=150=cost of a pack).

What happens when you get all 1, 2, and 3 stars? How much money would you have to shell out for that? If it's on the order of $40-$60.00, that's the price of something like starcraft 2, and Alteil US should be happy providing you with all the other cards for free while you arbitrage the lotto.
Nerf Elite Fencer. Change start skill to "target unit of agi 4 or higher gets AGI = 3. Then, this unit gets AGI = 4 for this turn and ATK +10"

For the great justice of the diverse meta.
Demongod

Postby Peralisc2 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:42 pm

Gowen rush, buff the guardian, simple lycan rush and many more common themes recently (or not so recently) added and still appearing and developing their strength are also meta. I don't see people being happier about them though.
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby ANIMEniac » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:00 pm

Oh but you forgot, once i start hitting the 4*, i can MAKE Gran.
That's right, if i can never get dupes and I manage to get 1-3* done, then my pack will (by your proposal) give me 4-5*. I can recycle 1 4* for another pack.

Fact of CCGs, rares will usually carry the "stronger" effects. The commons cards may have something nice, but they tend to be more supportive of an overall strat.
- Great rares to make people chase the cards = more cards being sold
- High rarity to make card hard to get
- Strong high rarity allows for a profitable secondary market (who is going to pay money for a good common?)

Could you imagine if Fierte was a common? Gowen starters would wipe out nearly every other starter.
Why would i even need to get Eska if there was a similar card of lower rarity? Heck,, if there was an Eska of lower rarity, why would i ever need Succi or Night Soul?
Also, looking the other way, there are some low rarity cards with great effects. You complain about Sin being a 2*. Oh jeeze, are you blind that you are so lucky this card wasn't on a 4-5*, b/c as we all know, it is THAT good of a utility card. Guardian? man, i can only imagine a high rarity Guardian card...
ANIMEniac

Postby icewolf33 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:15 pm

LoneKnight wrote:You know how business make money?

They sell their products.

Do you know how you sell a product?

You make it available at an affordable price.

You know what happens to a business that can't do that?

It will be at a loss.

Do you know where Alteil US had been in the last 1 and a half years?

I don't. But I wouldn't be surprised if they had been at a loss.

True, sometimes it is better to sell lots of stuff at a lower cost than a small amount of stuff at a high cost. This is especially true of products with strong network effects, like multiplayer games! Maybe there is a successful multiplayer game out there where full access has $500+ unrecoverable cost like Alteil, but I've never heard of it. (Yes, a Magic deck can cost $350, and yes, you can easily recover $300 of that cost.)

That is why most reasonable people sell games in the <$40 range. When they chop it down even lower, they actually get more revenue! (Not just units sold, revenue.)

Reference: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009 ... -steam.ars
I really want to recommend this game to friends. I would feel much better about doing that if things were less expensive, like tens of dollars to get most of a set, instead of hundreds!
icewolf33

Next

Return to Safiria's Planning Bureau