Banned card election every week

User suggestions to improve the game

Banned card election every week

Postby Tomazas » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:19 am

I'm shamelesly stealing idea from other online CCG urban rivals. But its great Idea. each week players are given list of cards most played last week and can vote to ban some of them for next week. To be banned card must get at least 5% of total votes and most of those votes should be negative. Players gets votes based on their play results that week. The more victories - the more votes.
And with new spy program being implemented alteil has all required things to make this happen, and it will work as selfimplemented balance fixer.
Tomazas

Re: Banned card election every week

Postby Peralisc2 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:39 am

But then if you abuse more the broken files then you get more votes.

Oh and since i post in an Urban Rival discussion, i want to remind everyone how much i hate that game: I hate that game very very much! ;th2
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby Tomazas » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:56 am

Pera, where is max on how much votes you get, so one Primlame player with 4-5 votes will do nothing vs 100 free players with 1 vote each.
And no cards could be banned forever, because if its banned it will not get into next weeks list.
Tomazas

Postby Peralisc2 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:03 am

I see, but why not just have 1 vote / user.

If they still should add the extra votes option, then make it depend on how many games were played with over 10 turns instead of counting victories.
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby Tomazas » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:05 am

Pera, if you are looking into car, do you always start your evaluation from how conditioner works? Vote giving is only a small part of this, what do you think about idea in general?
Tomazas

Postby Peralisc2 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:14 am

I think that they don't implement it, because of various reasons.

Well seems fine to me, it's just one out of every two weeks ban at most for any card?! And you don't really have to vote if everything looks fine to you, right?
And the 5% looks really nice there, that means you can ban like 20 cards every week. ;th2
ImageImage
Peralisc2

Postby DanTheTimid » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:24 am

Interesting fact, Urban Rivals does bans in large part because years ago, after one of their heads talked with me about issues with their meta, they ran a poll asking people basically if they would rather use errata to weaken over powered cards (my preferred method), or just out right ban them. The poll results were clear, people didn't want their cards they invested so much time or money in acquiring being weakened (a true head scratcher if you ask me cause at least a weakened card can still be used, a banned card can not), but at the time the game had two formats, one in which no bans occurred and one in which they did, so perhaps most people were playing in the more casual environment where no bans occurred and thus knew that asking for bans over errata would keep them dominating with their over powered cards in the banless format? Or maybe they just really hated the over powered cards and just didn't want to see them used at all, even in a reasonable manner.

Oh, and for the record, I was as shocked as anyone that they actually listened to me, responded to me, and put up that poll for me, as I was still pretty much a no body in the game at the time, only spent like 3 dollars on it and played very rarely/casually, just was very vocal on their forums. I don't believe it was until later that I became a top player in the game.

Anyway, the whole "ban a card" or "ban a race" things they've done over the years have definitely helped keep the meta less stale then alteil's has gotten at times, so I wouldn't be opposed to such a system in alteil, but I still believe now as I did then that the best answer is simply to errata and balance over powered cards. This last set had some serious balance issues, but in the past we've had plenty of very well made sets that when combined with erratas of old cards lead to very diverse metas. Whats more, with out a trading system and with getting new "playable" cards being much more difficult in this game, the potential for a player to not have enough cards left worth using after 1 or more of his key cards are banned, even if its only for a week, is something I think should be avoided. UR made acquiring multiple competitive decks very cheap and easy, if the key cards of one get banned it was rare a player didn't have a back up, but in Alteil your lucky if you ever manage to afford and construct even one competitive deck, if key cards from it get banned its almost like they're out right banning you yourself from the game.

So again, I'm not actually against this idea per say, it definitely would help shake up the meta while we're waiting for the next set or next group of erratas to come out, but I don't think it would work as well in alteil as it does in UR. And of course I definitely don't want things to ever become exactly like UR where they errata only to boost the power of cards, never to weaken them. Week long bans are a bandaid solution, the real fix is to actually fix the problem cards.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby Tomazas » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:26 am

In reality, even with 5% they ban only 7-6 each week, because you can cast both negative and positive votes, and some cards just naturally attract more hate than others.

P.S. for someone hating UR you know nothing about how it works Pera, it changed a lot, and changed into good side, alteil has lots of cathing to do (like implementing achievements, UR did this month ago).
Tomazas

Postby Peralisc2 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:36 am

What? They changed the simplistic gameplay into something else? If that's the case then i will check it out later. Otherwise i still hate it for very good reasons.
ImageImage
Peralisc2

Postby luckysvn777 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:11 am

Errata > Bans
luckysvn777

Next

Return to Safiria's Planning Bureau