Banned card election every week

User suggestions to improve the game

Re: Banned card election every week

Postby DanTheTimid » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:29 am

luckysvn777 wrote:Errata > Bans

Very true, as I posted previously I agree wholeheartedly, but the thing that shouldn't be over looked about this suggestion is that these bans aren't permanent, there only week long, and thus they could be used simply as a way to help shake up the meta during the dry spells while the new errata are being worked on. Errata take time to get right, to really make sure a card NEEDs to be errata'd and that the new errata your giving it doesn't break the card in a whole new way, but a temporary ban can be issued quickly as it takes no thinking to ban something and even if you ban a few cards that don't need to be banned, they'll be back to being playable the following week.

So really, I actually don't think the idea is a bad one at all, it actually worked pretty fantastically in UR, again I just question if in alteil most players have the resources to throw together a new deck if the key cards to their existing one are banned. Basically locking out players from playing the game for a week is not likely to be looked on kindly.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby LDEvolution » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:48 am

DanTheTimid I like the idea but as you said there are quite a munber of players out there who can't work thier way around it because of having a limited card pool cause they just started or something or they jsut don't have the same because they recycled to get cards to boost their deck so if this were to be implented the I hope it was made optional like if you do this then you get +10 weekly Gran or something.
http://www.alteil.com/forum/index.php/topic?f=27&t=7338
The Alteil 3DS Homebrew Project...by LDE and Ganon
LDEvolution

Postby InigoMontoya » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:58 am

luckysvn777 wrote:Errata > Bans

Agreed.
InigoMontoya

Postby Demongod » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:10 pm

LDEvolution wrote:DanTheTimid I like the idea but as you said there are quite a munber of players out there who can't work thier way around it because of having a limited card pool cause they just started or something or they jsut don't have the same because they recycled to get cards to boost their deck so if this were to be implented the I hope it was made optional like if you do this then you get +10 weekly Gran or something.

They have their starters.
Nerf Elite Fencer. Change start skill to "target unit of agi 4 or higher gets AGI = 3. Then, this unit gets AGI = 4 for this turn and ATK +10"

For the great justice of the diverse meta.
Demongod

Postby luckysvn777 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:50 pm

Very true, as I posted previously I agree wholeheartedly, but the thing that shouldn't be over looked about this suggestion is that these bans aren't permanent, there only week long, and thus they could be used simply as a way to help shake up the meta during the dry spells while the new errata are being worked on. Errata take time to get right, to really make sure a card NEEDs to be errata'd and that the new errata your giving it doesn't break the card in a whole new way, but a temporary ban can be issued quickly as it takes no thinking to ban something and even if you ban a few cards that don't need to be banned, they'll be back to being playable the following week.

So really, I actually don't think the idea is a bad one at all, it actually worked pretty fantastically in UR, again I just question if in alteil most players have the resources to throw together a new deck if the key cards to their existing one are banned. Basically locking out players from playing the game for a week is not likely to be looked on kindly

I suppose I have ban bias... after all the last major TCG i played before this was Yu-Gi-Oh, and oh boy was the bans there ridiculous.. granted, they were needed because they made such ridiculous OP cards, but it was a pain nonetheless.

Well, here's another issue I have with the "vote for weekly bans". I dunno about Urban Rivals but this game is very heavily based on matchups. The destruction of one file via banning will lead to another file becoming hard to counter and so on. Thus, I fear that the "vote for weekly bans" will simply devolve into "how much can i manipulate things so that my file is unchallenged for this week". For example, all the gowen players might vote off lycans and undead for a week not because those files are actually OP, but because they are the files hardest for them to beat, being their natural counters. And its certainly possible that gowen players are at least the Folrart majority, so such a scenario is certainly not impossible. And you can see the problems that would stem up from this.

Of course, if they just focus on the actually OP file (DEFS, Primclone) on a consistent basis, then we may as well errata them anyway.

Long story short, in Alteil, this type of system is likely to make more problems than could be solved. Granted, errata is slow, especially now when the game DESPERATELY needs it, but its better than that in my opinion.
luckysvn777

Postby Peralisc2 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:24 pm

You could make a poll topic with the title "if there were card bans, what cards would you vote for?" every 2 or 3 weeks and see what people vote for.

I say this because i doubt they implement this type of banning. But probably they might make an extra arena based on it if this sort of thing will be seen well or interesting at some point.
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby ANIMEniac » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:11 pm

As lucky said, I can easily see other OP files pop up when one thing is banned.

Cyclone:
Rise of the Lycans! (and Gowen Rank)

Assassin:
Emperor's New Groove (and all the other hard to deal with monsters)

Return:
Dawn of the (Un)Dead

As Dan said, doesn't seem too bad an idea to get some kind of meta rotation. However, it needs careful consideration and plan or else we may just see it go from one hated deck to just another.
ANIMEniac

Postby Demongod » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:15 pm

ANIMEniac wrote:As lucky said, I can easily see other OP files pop up when one thing is banned.

Cyclone:
Rise of the Lycans! (and Gowen Rank)

Assassin:
Emperor's New Groove (and all the other hard to deal with monsters)

Return:
Dawn of the (Un)Dead

As Dan said, doesn't seem too bad an idea to get some kind of meta rotation. However, it needs careful consideration and plan or else we may just see it go from one hated deck to just another.

Return: enjoy vs. Falkow--get raped by Refess. Still.

Cyclone: I'd be the first to ban this. Always. This thing simply auto-wins vs. files that are heavy on level 2s.

Assassin: you'd need to ban salamander soldier, too! In fact, I'd argue that this soul skill becomes available on more SSs.
Nerf Elite Fencer. Change start skill to "target unit of agi 4 or higher gets AGI = 3. Then, this unit gets AGI = 4 for this turn and ATK +10"

For the great justice of the diverse meta.
Demongod

Postby GOSCAR » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:08 pm

While i dont agree in banning cards i do agree in limiting them. Im sure all of us would agree having more than one return isnt rly nice. And no i want to see that assassin SS taken out for ever, i dont like the fact that my opponent can take out a lvl 1 for a lvl 9.
One does not play alteil the way they want. -Gon

False Slash- Rom
GOSCAR

Postby GonFreeces31 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:27 pm

Nice idea, but I get the feeling this will never actually be implemented. I'm assuming the GMs have more pressing matters to attend to.
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

PreviousNext

Return to Safiria's Planning Bureau