Alteil for Dummies

User suggestions to improve the game

Alteil for Dummies

Postby GonFreeces31 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:22 pm

So I was thinking about ways to improve the game for new players and here is a suggestion I came up with:

The thing most new players have problems with are generally very basic/simple things. I remember when I first started it took me forever to figure out the exact times SS were triggered and what the differences between a 1/2/3 lp SS were. It took even longer to actually figure out how to tailor SS to suit my files and counter things they were weak against. Also, when new player post their files on the forum and ask for improvements, there are a lot of common problems with them all, ie - using only 1 copy of magic sword dual wielder, or 1 copy of giant ork, or even using giant ork at all!

I think it would be really helpful to have a "Alteil for Dummies" guide to be available to new players where basic important information is available. Usually new players make the same 10 mistakes all the time and don't realize what they're doing and why it's bad. For example: 1) Gowen rush playing grims early to knock off units when they really should be focusing on pumping out units as fast as possible. 2) Rush files not having 1LP SS early (such as sin) to help deal w/ early commanding things your opponent does (such as 30/30 someone). 3) Not having a proper balance of low level & high level units.

I know there are lots of strategy articles and helpful advice in the forums... but generally the strategy discussions in the forums are too advanced for new players, and the strategy articles are kind of hidden and a lot of people don't even know about them.

So how about we make a "Alteil for Dummies" guide, put basic helpful in it in a presentable manner for new players, and then make one of the quests for them to look at it and maybe answer a short quiz about it?

Thoughts?
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Re: Alteil for Dummies

Postby Phenoca » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:39 pm

I had thought that you lose X amount of LP whenever a unit of LP X was sent to the cemetery.

Good suggestions for newbies, GonFreeces31. Yeah - the tutorial in-game looks nice... But it doesn't address all misconceptions.
flood + Pakistan = hunger
Phenoca

Postby Romdeau » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:57 pm

We have tons of resources (stickies, rulebook, and the wiki that nobody looks at) to help newbies get into the swing of things. Go ahead and make a post yourself, but I think it's redundant. Plus, we have plenty of helpful individuals that I'm sure are willing to help out. And believe it or not, I think the TRN program is still "officially" active.
Romdeau

Postby GonFreeces31 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:02 pm

Very true. I just don't think anybody uses these things. Just a guess on my part, but I'm assuming most new players don't ask for help, and don't bother reading the rulebook or strategy articles. That's why I figured it would be a good idea to make a simple guide, and implement it as a quest to try to encourage people to actually check these things out.
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Postby Peralisc2 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:13 pm

GonFreeces31 wrote:Very true. I just don't think anybody uses these things. Just a guess on my part, but I'm assuming most new players don't ask for help, and don't bother reading the rulebook or strategy articles. That's why I figured it would be a good idea to make a simple guide, and implement it as a quest to try to encourage people to actually check these things out.

You can write it all over your walls and have the presentation restructured several times. It just won't help if people don't read. Only real solution is a tutorial.
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby Noria » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:11 am

Phenoca wrote: Yeah - the tutorial in-game looks nice... But it doesn't address all misconceptions.

Lol, i remember it took me some time to find out you can take a look at you oppĀ“s cemetry. I was like... level 25-30 or something when i accidently figuered it out.

There really are some things that the tutorial is lacking to explain, the idea of a quest that solves these problems is nice imo.
Noria

Postby Phenoca » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:36 pm

*sniff*
Yeah I want quests!
The tutorial had no STORYLINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bwahhgghughagh.

Each sphere should have different tutorial text!
flood + Pakistan = hunger
Phenoca

Postby Callonia » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:02 pm

The tutorial has a storyline.

You have two choices, being a delinquent or a studious student and getting to observe lapierre's cleavage.

Just think of the tutorial as the Fable of alteil, and your fine.
Callonia

Postby Peralisc2 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:11 pm

If she was a full fledged young woman and not a chibi, i might encourage that ... but chibis are just a case of bad taste.
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Return to Safiria's Planning Bureau