10 gran and 30 gran lottery + other suggestions

User suggestions to improve the game

Re: 10 gran and 30 gran lottery + other suggestions

Postby Phades » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:23 pm

shyster wrote:And yes black lotus is overpriced, but it is far from a cruddy card, even ignoring the channel fireball, you could get a five or six mana creature out on the first turn if you had one or two moxes as well.

A "common" setup involved tiaga, goblin lumber jacks, lotus, ball lightning, blood lusts, and berserk. Potential turn 2 kill, regular turn 3 kills.
Phades

Postby shyster » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:33 pm

Well yeah you could do that also. But that is like a god hand, I was talking about something that is at least possible...

What were berserk and Goblin lumberjacks? I do not remember what those cards did, but yeah ball lightning and bloodlust was insane. Of course if you are still in the realm of red, Direct damage was by far the favorite over rush.

Of course the best thing ever is pulling out a millstone in a 12 player game. That generally caused about half the players to die before the next round.

Speaking of which it would be cool if there was some kind of team play, or multi player in this game.
shyster

Postby Phades » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:40 pm

shyster wrote:Well yeah you could do that also. But that is like a god hand, I was talking about something that is at least possible...

What were berserk and Goblin lumberjacks? I do not remember what those cards did, but yeah ball lightning and bloodlust was insane. Of course if you are still in the realm of red, Direct damage was by far the favorite over rush.

Of course the best thing ever is pulling out a millstone in a 12 player game. That generally caused about half the players to die before the next round.

Speaking of which it would be cool if there was some kind of team play, or multi player in this game.
Berserk doubled the attack value of the card and added trample, but killed the monster after it attacked. Goblin lumber jacks could sacrifice anything that counted as a forest in exchange for 3 red/green mana in any combination. Both only used one red or green mana. It would splash goblin grenade for a 5pt "lightning bolt" in exchange for sacrificing a goblin, etc. Things like kird ape would round out the deck in addition to the 12 lightning bolts that were eventually possible (lightning bolt, incinerate, chain lightning). There were other options as well.

Others would include hand inflation via ancestrial recall and recycling options like wheel of fortune and winds of change, sometimes in conjunction with fork, decimating the opponent on the first turn when they finally got to draw their "normal" hand. When referencing the "power 12" cards, it is important to look at the larger scope of things especially when they eventually designed cards like force of will to handicap first turn power moves and adjusted the initial draw setup to "balance" the game down the road.
Phades

Postby DanTheTimid » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:45 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that only the top 100 in the rankings even qualify to get gran based on their win/loss that week. That may not seem like a big deal now, but if we had say 1,000 people play in a given week, that means 900 of them only got 10 gran for the week, regardless of how well they did.

For me, ideally, the top 100 can still work like it does now, but for those that don't make the top 100 they should receive, say for instance, 1 gran for every match fought to completion (min 10 gran). In this manner even if you don't make the top 100, even if you go 1 win and 29 losses, your still gaining a little bit of extra gran just for playing the game. This helps encourage players to keep playing, even if their losing. It gives players whose decks are badly in need of help a reason to play the actual game and not just sign in every day for their daily mirage master in hope of some day getting good enough cards to compete. On the flip side its still worth it to win because A) If your winning your more likely to participate in and win free loot in treasure battles and B) If you make the top 100 if your win record is high enough you'll get greater gran rewards for your games played then those who just lose.
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby shyster » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:03 pm

Humm that is news to me Dan, I am pretty sure everybody gets 10 gran regardless of whether they make the top 100 or not. But your idea is not bad, however it again brings up the question of supporting free play or needing money. In the end they do need money, that is just a fact. However even in warcraft, not the best example but whatever, people are willing to pay real world money for items, or levels in some cases.

The same should be true for this game if it gets big enough, there will be legit or free players and there will be those who always want to be ahead of others or who just do not have the time or patience to collect gran slowly like you have described, and they will spend money. Hopefully the GM's will decide to pick up a game model similar to this.

As for magic all this talk has me really nostalgic, if ony I could find people to play... Might actually have to drive an hour just to play sometime later this week. By the way astrall recall, that is the one card I do not think I ever saw, all the other power 12 I believe I have seen before.
shyster

Postby Phades » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:09 pm

shyster wrote:Humm that is news to me Dan, I am pretty sure everybody gets 10 gran regardless of whether they make the top 100 or not. But your idea is not bad, however it again brings up the question of supporting free play or needing money. In the end they do need money, that is just a fact. However even in warcraft, not the best example but whatever, people are willing to pay real world money for items, or levels in some cases.

The same should be true for this game if it gets big enough, there will be legit or free players and there will be those who always want to be ahead of others or who just do not have the time or patience to collect gran slowly like you have described, and they will spend money. Hopefully the GM's will decide to pick up a game model similar to this.

As for magic all this talk has me really nostalgic, if ony I could find people to play... Might actually have to drive an hour just to play sometime later this week. By the way astrall recall, that is the one card I do not think I ever saw, all the other power 12 I believe I have seen before.
1 blue mana, draw 3 cards. Anscestrial recall(sp?)
Phades

Postby shyster » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:14 pm

Phades wrote:1 blue mana, draw 3 cards. Anscestrial recall(sp?)

That was anscestrial recall? Then yes I have seen that one. I was thinking of the one that gives a second turn.
shyster

Postby DanTheTimid » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:18 pm

shyster wrote:Humm that is news to me Dan, I am pretty sure everybody gets 10 gran regardless of whether they make the top 100 or not.

You seem to have misunderstood me,

"my understanding is that only the top 100 in the rankings even qualify to get gran based on their win/loss that week"

I didn't say only the top 100 get 10 gran, I said only the top 100 get grain based on their win/loss record for the week. Currently everyone who plays at least one game but does not make the top 100 is award 10 gran as a consolation prize. Those who do make the top 100 are awarded Gran based on their win/loss record (the formula being +2 gran for every win, -1 gran for every loss, min 10 gran). At least that's my understanding of how the current system works and perhaps I'm wrong. But again even if you don't have to be in the top 100 to qualify the problem with such a system is that it really only encourages players who are struggling to play a single game every week, if your losing 2 games for every 1 game you win, your never going to earn more then minimum gran anyway, why play more then once and get that 10 gran with out suffering through repeatedly having your butt handed to you by players with access to better cards?

My change still means if you don't spend money you're going to have to wait a while to get more cards, but it gives a way to get more cards through actually playing the game and not just mirage master. That's probably the biggest flaw the game is suffering from right now, the lack of encouragement to keep playing the real game if your losing, and its why so many people have complained about finding opponents in the level 10+ room, cause people who are constantly losing tend to stop playing and either out right quit or just sign in once a day to mirage master in hopes of some day getting good enough cards to play competitively again. With no rewards for losing right now, who can blame them?
The bunnies of Lavato have special abilities, like 'Action Skill: Make Carrot Disappear.'
DanTheTimid

Postby shyster » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:34 pm

You are correct I did misunderstand the first part of what you said, but the second part I was agreeing with your system.

I was trying to relay a message to the GM's about the business format it would be nice if they ran. I was trying to reference WoW because it was what came to my head. However I definately agree especially if what you said about being in the top 100 in order to earn "ranking" gran is true.

This game, as it is right now, really kicks players when the are down, and then calls in six friends to help him do it. If you are on a losing streak because you ran into tough people during the prelims (crest arena) and thus were not able to get any tresure battles let alone gran from a high win percentage at weeks end, then you will continue to have a hard time going into folrart. Also if you just happen to be unlucky with your draws in the random cards you get at level up you could also be getting screwed there.
shyster

Postby Phades » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:36 pm

shyster wrote:
Phades wrote:1 blue mana, draw 3 cards. Anscestrial recall(sp?)

That was anscestrial recall? Then yes I have seen that one. I was thinking of the one that gives a second turn.
Time walk, 1 blue 1 other, skip opponent's turn.
Phades

PreviousNext

Return to Safiria's Planning Bureau