Where are the Mermen?

Alteil Art and Artists

Re: Where are the Mermen?

Postby Shirozaki » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:32 pm

fargone wrote:Mermaids were a mythological story created by sailors about half women half fish creatures that were reportedly beautiful and had a thing for luring sailors to their deaths. Mermen never existed in folk lore, they never existed in fairy tales, cos they never existed in the fearful minds of men at sea. Sailors at sea for as long as they were simply had no attraction to another man's bum (maybe they were already getting some, who knows?) and so were not threatened by them.

Why should a card game invent a gender for a folk lore creature that itself only had one gender?

As much as I agree with the question, most of that is factually inaccurate.
The thing you described is what was originally known as "Sirens", which is actually half-bird, half woman, but often confused or even called mermaids (see Odyssey), while mermaids are generally known for attempting to "rescue" drowning men by either pulling them underwater or pulling them to the nearest shore (Andersen was fairly accurate with the Mermaid mythology in his tales) and are shy enough to be considered bad omen in british folklore.
They are also known as freshwater spirits in middle europe (melusines) (which gets blurred in welsh mythology, since Morgen's are a mix of both attributes).

I don't buy the whole Manatee sightings, because they're way too popular to be attributed to simply that.
"Abandon all hope, ye who enter here" - Inscription above the gates of Alteil
Romdeau wrote:I don't have much else to say to you other than you live in your own world if you believe I have active enemies around Alteil besides from Demongod.
Shirozaki

Postby gadu » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:42 pm

Shirozaki wrote:["Sirens", which is actually half-bird, half woman

I thought that was a Harpy. :?
Abuser Punisher / Callonia
gadu

Postby wakka9ca » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:02 am

There are also Merrows, which can be both female and male although the males are supposed to be ugly (i.e. Deep Ones-style). Thus female merrows prefer human companions.

Siren is a beautiful half-bird half woman. Harpies are ugly/monstrous half-bird half-humanoid.
wakka9ca

Postby fargone » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:08 pm

While this was not my source of information (I have enjoyed mythology for more than 20 years now) I will use this quote from wikipedia:

"Much like sirens, mermaids will sing to people or to gods to enchant them, distracting them from their work and causing people to walk off a ship's deck or to run their ship aground. Other stories depict mermaids squeezing the life out of drowning men while attempting to rescue them. They are also said to carry humans down to their underwater kingdoms."

Whether you are willing to accept it or not, old mythology depicts mermaids as being beautiful false rescuers. Mermaids were not nice, never saved anyone and led sailors to their deaths.

Almost all original fairy tales were not nice.

The fact that later siren stories were often confused wtih mermaid stories does not change the origins of the mermaid mythology. Even in English folklore, Mermaid led sailors to their death.
GonFreeces31 wrote:
fargone wrote:I realise this is completely off topic, but Icy deserves the limelight more than others. Some of whom dominate the forums with their endless posts.

What, I make legit points too...
fargone

Postby gadu » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:17 pm

Well, you can hardly blame them for using the ocean as a toilet.
Abuser Punisher / Callonia
gadu

Postby kirk22 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:19 am

I like the fact that I made this thread cause I was bored and its turned into a conversation about the mythos of mermaids in general. Tis nice when a thread invokes interesting conversation.
ImageImage
kirk22

Postby Callonia » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:30 am

Not sure if i remember correctly But i think some of the greek mythology also included mermaids. And the mermaids is hot about killing humans. Yes, what fargone said about old mythology on mermaids is correct.
Callonia

Postby AquasFire2 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:54 pm

didnt they all died when the dinosaurs did?????
AquasFire2

Previous

Return to LeBeau's Studio