Battle Spirits

TCG's

Battle Spirits

Postby gadu » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:32 am

I'd just like to recommend this game and ask if there are any other BS players here?

It was one of the first card games I ever played and I think it has the most supreme gameplay of any card game I've played (Alteil is probably #2 for gameplay, but sucks so bad at everything else that it usually just pisses me off all the time). :x

The physical game died hard in the U.S., which doesn't really matter to me because I play the video game versions. You can also play using Vassal program, but I never managed to figure out exactly how that works. You can also play it free at trade cards online, but it's usually pretty dead over there too.

If you have any questions about it, you can ask me. It's my all time favorite card game.
Abuser Punisher / Callonia
gadu

Re: Battle Spirits

Postby wakka9ca » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:33 pm

The most supreme gameplay I would say remains Magic: the Gathering. Battle Spirits was evolved from Duel Masters and MTG. Otherwise, the game is ok. Nothing too revolutionary. On the other hand, Alteil is on a complete different paradigm compared to say, MTG.
wakka9ca

Postby gadu » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:40 am

Well, I never played MTG, except when I was kid (which doesn't count because I can't even remember how to play). It's too bad MTG:O isn't completely free so I could try it out again. BS isn't too revolutionary, but I think it gets a lot of things right where other card games fail hard.
gadu

Postby Muklas » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:02 am

If you want to play magic for free I suggest Cockatrice, it isnt automated though.
Ha ha, I'm using the shaving foams!
Muklas

Postby gadu » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:00 am

Holy hell, 12000 cards were imported from Cockatrice. I don't even know where to begin looking at cards to build a deck. And there doesn't seem to be any filter either. This is way too daunting and time consuming. :shock: Any guidance or words of wisdom?
gadu

Postby wakka9ca » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:04 am

gadu wrote:Holy hell, 12000 cards were imported from Cockatrice. I don't even know where to begin looking at cards to build a deck. And there doesn't seem to be any filter either. This is way too daunting and time consuming. :shock: Any guidance or words of wisdom?

Stop looking further, my dear friend. If you need to first learn about the cards, use a SINGLE-player free open source game first. MTG Forge is one of the best and most stable release.
http://mtgrares.blogspot.com/
Get Java Runtime Environment installed before running the game
NOTE: the most recent version is not 11-25 or v1.18, it's 01-16 or v1.21. Scroll a bit down the page and you will find the most recent version. It's not on the sidebar yet (the last time I checked)
That being said, the new 1.2 verison is still not 100% stable because they just implemented a new UI!! To play more stable one (albeit NOT bug-free), there is 11-25 or v1.18. I suggest the 1.21 because the bugs shouldn't be that big and I found quite a few bugs in v1.18 too.

The advantage: play "Quest Mode". You only start with a very very small cardpool and slowly build your collection by winning matches and prizes. This will help you slowly learn about the cards (albeit in a very very random fashion). The game is automated, rule-enforced, and similar to single-player arena in Alteil (i.e. AI is stoopid) But there are over 200 different AI decks to go against, some with so broken combo that even with dumb AI it's challenging. If you need help installing, contact me. You can automatically download all the pictures from the program itself once you install it.

Also: official tutorial: http://www.wizards.com/Magic/TCG/NewtoM ... arntoplayo
wakka9ca

Postby gadu » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:20 pm

Hi Wakka, I downloaded the pictures from that sight, and moved them to the "pics" folder, but I guess some of the card pictures are still blank in game.

Also, the link to tutorial doesn't lead to tutorial page.
gadu

Postby wakka9ca » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:27 pm

gadu wrote:Hi Wakka, I downloaded the pictures from that sight, and moved them to the "pics" folder, but I guess some of the card pictures are still blank in game.

Also, the link to tutorial doesn't lead to tutorial page.

Use the in-game "update set pictures" under the utilities. Did you download the latest version or the older one?

The link again:
http://www.wizards.com/Magic/TCG/NewtoM ... earntoplay

The most recent version is actually here:
http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/view ... =26&t=6230

You can copy over the pics and everything it should be compatible. Note the AI is really stupid and the creator of Forge is potentially looking at another software Magarena for VERY realistic and difficult AI using Monte Carlo learning algorithms.
wakka9ca

Postby gadu » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:06 pm

Is that Magarena going to happen any time soon? I've been wanting to play, but I don't have much free time lately. Should I hold off until Magarena is implemented?

EDIT: Does it normally take hours to download the card pictures from utilities?
gadu

Postby wakka9ca » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:23 pm

gadu wrote:Is that Magarena going to happen any time soon? I've been wanting to play, but I don't have much free time lately. Should I hold off until Magarena is implemented?

EDIT: Does it normally take hours to download the card pictures from utilities?

About magarena it's already implemented. However, this is ongoing project so you have update a lot. However, for more challenging play, I suggest Magarena. The AI in MTG Forge honestly sux.

About card pictures: it takes usually 4-5 hours to get some 10000+ pictures yea.
wakka9ca

Next

Return to Zugateroza's Crypt