Art for art sake.

Alteil Art and Artists

Art for art sake.

Postby Ropey » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:10 am

From previous experience with other card games I began thinking along these lines.Just how important are the artist rights etc?
The players want new cards.Artist produces the art work required by the people who run the game.Does the artist sell all rights?
How much would you pay for an original?How much would I like access to larger better quality images of the cards in my collection?Would I like a T shirt?
"My mind is not for rent to any god or government"

ImageImageImage
Ropey

Re: Art for art sake.

Postby Urizen_forum » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:02 pm

I'm not a lawyer but I think it would not work along those lines do to art generally not being copyright material per say atypically. A "work of art" is literally a physical object, you commission a portrait you get a canvas with paint on it. It is not intellectual property, it is physical property. A jackson pollock will sell for 100 million dollars, but I can still take a brush dad it in paint and flick it on a canvas call it high art and sell it without infringing a copyright. A artist claiming rights to a commissioned piece by alteil would be like one of the numerous cartoonists working for warner brothers claiming rights of bugs bunny, bugs bunny is intellectual property owned by wb, the artist here is just making a painting of him the same way an alteil commissioned arist is making one of annarose say.
Urizen_forum

Postby Shirozaki » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:32 pm

That's...not how art works. At all. Especially not in a game with that many high paying professional artists as alteil. And especially not in japan.

Alteil's art is commisioned by famous artists with their stamps practically imprinted on them. They do not pay the artist to draw bugs bunny, they pay the artists to draw a new character for the bugs bunny-verse, and most of those artists are free to decline, since they are not affiliated with Gamepot JP/core-edge in any way.

But yes, the artist sells all right by drawing the character for Alteil, and most of them will gladly point this out to you on their home/pixiv page. This does not exclude the artists from several rights regarding his own piece of work as Urizen said.

And for some bonus info; Core edge indeed sells real versions of the card, either as poster (for money) or as...well, this (for 50 point cards):
"Abandon all hope, ye who enter here" - Inscription above the gates of Alteil
Romdeau wrote:I don't have much else to say to you other than you live in your own world if you believe I have active enemies around Alteil besides from Demongod.
Shirozaki

Postby CainHyde » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:45 pm

Why Kurina?
You can't choose other card?
"Humans fall to corruption.
So too do saints and heroes.
There is no stopping it.
That in itself is salvation."
CainHyde

Postby Ropey » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:39 pm

Thank you:) The card is fine choice.I like her other version.sorry.

When I first started this game I could see that some of the cards were from art houses.
Blaze Knuckle I consider to be the games finest piece,and by a good margin.That's content, colour.oh I could go on..Am lucky that I have 2.
"My mind is not for rent to any god or government"

ImageImageImage
Ropey

Postby Shirozaki » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:02 am

CainHyde wrote:Why Kurina?

You can pick any card, and a substitute, in case the first chosen card is not printable (by low demand or certain rights). Pardon me for posting an example instead of an entire gallery.

Requirements are 50 point cards and a japanese adress (I have no idea whether it works with a forwarding service though).
Romdeau wrote:I don't have much else to say to you other than you live in your own world if you believe I have active enemies around Alteil besides from Demongod.
Shirozaki

Postby Romdeau » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:41 am

Shiro, I think Cain's upset because you didn't bring your jeans mini-skirt.
Romdeau

Postby Shirozaki » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:55 am

Would a white seifuku do?
Shirozaki

Postby Romdeau » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:56 am

Shirozaki wrote:Would a white seifuku do?

I would certainly be delighted, but I think Cain may have some pretty high standards.
Romdeau

Postby CainHyde » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:00 am

Shirozaki wrote:
CainHyde wrote:Why Kurina?

You can pick any card, and a substitute, in case the first chosen card is not printable (by low demand or certain rights). Pardon me for posting an example instead of an entire gallery.

Requirements are 50 point cards and a japanese adress (I have no idea whether it works with a forwarding service though).

No, I didn't mean it like that.
I am asking to know if Alteil JP only give a limited choice for the card or it's any card.
But... Japanese address eh? =3=
"Humans fall to corruption.
So too do saints and heroes.
There is no stopping it.
That in itself is salvation."
CainHyde

Next

Return to LeBeau's Studio