Recommendations for Visual Novels

Video Games

Re: Recommendations for Visual Novels

Postby Shirozaki » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:48 pm

Mahou Tsukai no Yoru's Trailer, coincidentally with my favourite Vivaldi piece (L'inverno of Le quatro stagioni).

Or click here.
"Abandon all hope, ye who enter here" - Inscription above the gates of Alteil
Romdeau wrote:I don't have much else to say to you other than you live in your own world if you believe I have active enemies around Alteil besides from Demongod.
Shirozaki

Postby Romdeau » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:41 pm

Looks intriguing, and are the rumors that it features a female protagonist true?
Romdeau

Postby Shirozaki » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:38 pm

Aoko and Alice are both the protagonists, plus that elusive guy that moves in with them. You should give it a read (the demo is translated already), the animations are gorgeous.
The story takes place shortly after Aoko was named successor and is now studying magic to becom a proper magus, Alice (a witch) is helping her. It also features some churchos, but little is known about those. Amiami has already begun shipping the game and amazon will ship mine to my man's apartment in roppongi after the game's release (wednesday) and he'll express mail it to me. Yay.

Coincidentally Toukou's website profile states that she is a helpful sister that heard that Aoko is in trouble and came to help her.
Romdeau wrote:I don't have much else to say to you other than you live in your own world if you believe I have active enemies around Alteil besides from Demongod.
Shirozaki

Postby Romdeau » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:12 am

Man that felt short! I think I finished the demo in less then two hours and I am hooked-I can't wait for the English translation to be released. I have extremely high expectations...which I think will be met.
Romdeau

Postby Shirozaki » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:19 pm

A few things about the translation though, the translator (from empty boundaries, the same guy that finished the kara no kyoukai translation) is prone to using his own language (instead of the common Type moon lingo), so you might read about "Arcane Eyes that cause Heart Attacks" instead of "Mystic Eyes of Myocardial Infarction", but your mileage may vary on the necessity for this.
He also translates relatively freely, meaning he rewrites the text in english, unlike say mirror moon who were trying to get as close as possible to original nasu. This is, by the way, a major problem with his translation for me, since the original meaning of lots of conversation gets lost in his kara no kyoukai translation.
This extended to Mahouyou when a few people pointed out that some of his lines weren't correctly translated at all, at which point he admitted he didn't know exactly what the author was trying to say, so he made up the sentence from scratch. He's nice enough to accept feedback and correct errors if you point them out though.

Mirror moon has declared that they would translate it, but you can expect him to be much faster, so you can pick between promtitude and quality.
Shirozaki

Postby Romdeau » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:14 pm

Considering mirror moon takes pride in their um, decade length projects, I think I'll settle for 'less' and take advantage of this gentleman's translation. It may not be perfect, but I won't lose any sleep as long as he doesn't straight up make crap up (like he did for KnK).
Romdeau

Postby Shirozaki » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:36 am

Welp, I just finished Mahoyo.
For information, it was released on the 12th, but was available earlier to certain stores, mostly international stores to ascertain that international copies are delivered on the date of release, which I consider a great thing.
I bought the first version edition via Amazon.jp (yeah, I spent money on something I can download, figure that) for a discounted price of ¥6100/47£/$75/58€ instead of the retail price of ¥7000/55£/$86/66€, had it delivered to my boyfriend's appartment at roppongi hills, and then via overnight express to my home.

I'll spare you any spoilers, but just throw out that it is a very good piece of work.
It is approximately the length of the fate route from fate/stay night, so relatively short for its price and hype, but it makes up for it not only by its animations, which pushed the kirikiri engine to its limits, but also by its story.
I saw some disappointing reviews here and there, but I consider it a TYPE-moon worthy VN, even if the overall plot was relatively transparent.

I'll expect a translation relatively fast, considering its length. The booklet is already available as a PDF and the CG and animations have already been ripped, so only a few more days until the script is as well.
Oh, also; the TYPE-moon Tsundere Archetype, which precedes both Rin and Akiha:
(I figured CGs might be considered spoilers, even if they don't show anything in particular, so I'll hotlink them instead of embedding them.)
Shirozaki

Postby wakka9ca » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:44 pm

Gonna read the PDF when I have time lol.
wakka9ca

Postby Shirozaki » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:02 pm

Mcjon uploaded a teaser to youtube.
See here. (Skip to 3:00 for some hot kamehameha action, don't forget to turn on HD)

Also the script has been extracted.

For anyone caring; Nasu has written Mahoyo relatively early, when he was in college but never got around to release it until this month. However, he also said that he has never finished writing part two and three, because he was already busy writing Kara no Kyoukai, and planned to complete it once he settled down. He has said in his last interview that he wishes to finally complete it as a project that has spanned over ten years.
This might of course just be another "Tsukihime II" story, but eh.
Shirozaki

Postby Godric » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:15 am

Shirozaki wrote:Mcjon uploaded a teaser to youtube.
See here. (Skip to 3:00 for some hot kamehameha action, don't forget to turn on HD)

Also the script has been extracted.

For anyone caring; Nasu has written Mahoyo relatively early, when he was in college but never got around to release it until this month. However, he also said that he has never finished writing part two and three, because he was already busy writing Kara no Kyoukai, and planned to complete it once he settled down. He has said in his last interview that he wishes to finally complete it as a project that has spanned over ten years.
This might of course just be another "Tsukihime II" story, but eh.

Very pretty :)
Could only guess at what was going on though, cause I know next to no japanese, and even less of the characters. Any explination for those of us linguistically challanged or is there no translation yet?
[shameless link] I can still claim I'm a free player cause I haven't spent any of my money on the game, but instead I used Prizerebel to get my EX packs. Gran Train = viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11761
Image[/shameless link]
Godric

PreviousNext

Return to Catherina's Play Room