Dishonoured

Video Games

Dishonoured

Postby Ropey » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:35 am

This game has been heralded as the game of this generation. A bold claim, but does it live up to the hype? Easily. The only game that I think will stand in it's way is Bioshock Infinite. Both games have been worked on by members of the team responsible for the original Bioshock , and Bioshock 2. You can see this in the steam punk visuals, game play and rich story telling. It is basicly a stealth game, but so much more due to magical powers, and the freedom given to carry out each assassination.

The story involves you as an Empresses body guard accused of murdering the very lady you were sworn to protect. Loyalist aid your escape from prison, and set about giving you targets that will bring about downfall of the corrupt, and draconian powers that have taken the reigns of the city. This is set before a backdrop of a recent rat plague, civil unrest and a once proud capital in decline. Where divisions between rich and poor are zealously enforced by segregation and quarantine. If you take the time there are plenty of books scattered about. Which help to flesh out and increase immersion in the world. While the story is far better than most of the trash we are fed by today's games. It falls short of Bioshock's excellence, but I don't think that game for me anyway will ever be topped.

Game-play is of the first person variety. Your character moves well, controls are well mapped, and shooting is solid after you get use to the rather clumsy flintlocks, but I tended to only use them as a last resort as the magic and tranquillizer darts attracted far less attention. While the game can be play loud as it were you feel as if you are cheating the game, and yourself by doing so. You have gadgets like grenades and razor wire traps, but it's the magic that really helps the most in missions, and is most fun to use. With a power like possession you can take over the body of a rat to help you infiltrate. Another power gives you the ability to transport yourself to higher places. One lets you summon a swarm of vicious rats that can devour an opponent. These are acquired with bone runes found throughout the world. Some runes also give small perks to attack, health and whatnot. I found these of limited use. The game has a lot of replay value down to the way the developers have given each level such freedom. You don't even have to kill your targets they can be given other fates which go on to affect the story slightly.

You have to play this game it's as simple as that. The level of immersion is how I rate a really good game, and this has that depth.I managed to get it special edition with free set of taro cards, and instructions for a game called Nancy.
"My mind is not for rent to any god or government"

ImageImageImage
Ropey

Re: Dishonoured

Postby Callonia » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:37 pm

How's the bugs in dishonoured?
Callonia

Postby Ropey » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:52 pm

Sorry, I should have stated that I play on 360 as my pc can barely handle Alteil! No real glitches on the 360. At most clipping when I carried some bodies that were equipped with strange large musical boxes that impeded your magic. All in all the graphics are very impressive, and smooth as I've come to expect from the Unreal Engine.

ImageImageImage
Ropey

Postby Callonia » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:20 pm

Ropey wrote:Sorry, I should have stated that I play on 360 as my pc can barely handle Alteil! No real glitches on the 360. At most clipping when I carried some bodies that were equipped with strange large musical boxes that impeded your magic. All in all the graphics are very impressive, and smooth as I've come to expect from the Unreal Engine.

Ahh not bad.

I prefer playing on pc though.. i like being god and violating basic laws of the world.

Although I once got killed for it.

Would be offtopic post but.. I have to.

U know skyrim?

Well I once messed with a corpse by using a necromancy spell to turn it into temporary zombie, and have it locked into an animation by like for example by having it dance for me and if the dance timer is longer than the necromancy spell timer. You get killed and flung into the heavens and die.

Upon reload of the save, you gain the ability to walk to walk everywhere and anywhere, gravity is gone. Meaning if you desire to jog underground or into the skies you can do it right away to uh explain this accurately, you gain the abilities of an ghost while having none of the drawbacks that ghosts have.

Its overpowered if you're an archer because, you could just disappear underground or a wall and reappear in another hidden spot while the npcs is attacking that patch of land with all their might and you can snipe them to death due to full damage sneak criticals lol you have to completely shut down skyrim to desktop and restart it up then your character will be normal again.

Was fun but not something I'd do more than once because being a godlike ghost is really boring.

Oh for some reason, the killcams really love it and focus the cameras on the butts of animals that I oneshot with a critical shot from the arrow and I'm like, TMI! It doesn't help the fact that arrows tend to end up in their butts.. because they flee <_<
Callonia

Postby InfernityFan » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:42 am

Callonia wrote:I prefer playing on pc though.. i like being god and violating basic laws of the world.

And the modding/overhaul capability 8-) Like, playing Oblivion with Star Wars mod, now that's what I call an awesome overhaul.
My VN Blog
Currently Playing : Harukuru, welcome to the Kyaya Ufufu land, hehehe...
InfernityFan

Postby Callonia » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:49 am

InfernityFan wrote:
Callonia wrote:I prefer playing on pc though.. i like being god and violating basic laws of the world.

And the modding/overhaul capability 8-) Like, playing Oblivion with Star Wars mod, now that's what I call an awesome overhaul.

Damn right.

I think there was even an mod somewhere that connected the oblivion with morrowind. Like, u could travel between those two countries xD
Callonia

Postby methebest » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:47 am

Callonia wrote:
InfernityFan wrote:

Damn right.

I think there was even an mod somewhere that connected the oblivion with morrowind. Like, u could travel between those two countries xD

you can travel between them all in arena >.>
i apologise for any incomprehensible posts as i tend to make them
methebest

Postby Ropey » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:20 am

While I have no doubt exploiting bugs and the like can be fun and worth chatting about. Not to seem rude, but would you mind starting your own thread on the subject? I have no doubt it will draw plenty of attention, but I really would like player opinion, views etc on Dishonoured, thank you.

ImageImageImage
Ropey

Return to Catherina's Play Room