Training Videos

Game FAQ and Beginner's Corner

Training Videos

Postby MysteryMan » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:54 pm

Our goal next sprint (which starts Tuesday the 30th) is to improve the new user experience.

One obvious thing that can help is a training video. As a practice dry run i created a quick youtube video over-viewing the game.

Feel free to post your own videos - I'm sure you all can do better. In fact, we are trying to get some voices you may recognize to help with the upcoming official videos.

MysteryMan

Re: Training Videos

Postby GonFreeces31 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:09 pm

I think you need to be EXTREMELY careful in the first minute in terms of how you frame the game and define the goals. It's a very complicated game, but I think if you present the right framework you could have it intuitively make sense.

I've made a bunch of videos before...
Dark Rush video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKgx9uahZLI&feature=plcp
Pirates video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0l42_XdkpE&feature=plcp

I haven't thought about making one for first timers but that's probably the most critical period of the game...
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Postby shadowsketch » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:11 pm

Any plans from the officials about making an alteil game stream?
shadowsketch

Postby Romdeau » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:33 pm

shadowsketch wrote:Any plans from the officials about making an alteil game stream?

There doesn't seem much interest for it. Even with the biggest event in Alteil history (World Champs) with guest appearances and commentary from Gon and I, I think our viewership peaked at around 50.

Pretty sad. I think it's too early to commit resources to an official stream.
Romdeau

Postby GonFreeces31 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:40 pm

I thought we worked well together and actually, 50 is a pretty big number considering how many people actually play this game. If the playerbase ever increases I'd look into it.
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Postby shadowsketch » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:39 pm

Ok, I understand you guys. While I think that a video is a good idea, I dislike not being able to ask questions about the game. I know in the past the mods tried to have training arena events to help new players get more comfortable with the game, but those didn't turn out well. I think having a stream where the mods and some star players can get together to demo some games would be cool since it promotes interactivity and doesn't require players to commit off the bat.

Anyway, that's more of a rant. Video's cool at first, but I agree with Gon that it needs to be done in an easy to interpret way.
shadowsketch

Postby gadu » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:10 pm

Romdeau wrote:
shadowsketch wrote:Any plans from the officials about making an alteil game stream?

There doesn't seem much interest for it. Even with the biggest event in Alteil history (World Champs) with guest appearances and commentary from Gon and I, I think our viewership peaked at around 50.

I think many of those 50 just tuned in to listen to Gon's sexy voice.
Abuser Punisher / Callonia
gadu

Postby GonFreeces31 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:41 pm

I'm gonna try to make a short concise video meant to introduce people to the game this weekend. There may or may not be a powerpoint thing involved.
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Postby Callonia » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:53 am

One thing you guys will have to accept. Noobs gonna be noobs no matter what, I learned this the hard way by playing world of tanks. They will play bazillion games and refuse to put in a minute just to learn how to play and blame everyone else for losing.

I have abused this matter of fact to live through situations that I have no right of surviving in. Something like alteil is probably too hard for them.
Callonia

Postby ChiYoung » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:59 am

People like that would make poor players anyway. They'd make and account, and get to level 15, and then get bored when they start losing 24/7. Even though I still think we should make another arena for people's level 16~100, I want players who actually like the game to stay.
When the end comes, and enemies are rushing in from all sides, I will be at your right hand.
ChiYoung

Next

Return to Lapierre Sensei's Classroom