Alteil October 2012 Financial Report

Official News and Announcements

Alteil October 2012 Financial Report

Postby Logress » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:06 pm

October Financial Report:

As promised, I’m going to be giving you guys as much details as I can about your donations and what we’re doing with them.

Income was about 50% of last year’s monthly average. Pretty good considering that we were only up for half the month, and there were no new cards or serious sales. My guess it was mostly because of users wanting to show their support.

Nothing solid yet, but based on the buying patterns, I’d say chance of a chargeback is above average to the low end of high. Not a great position to be in, because PayPal offers few ways to screen out possible credit card fraud but certainly puts the screws to you if it happens. Even a single case of it can wreck things. Basically, the bane of small internet businesses.

Before I go any further, might as well give our backstory on pre-October financials. Mysteryman and myself (mostly Mysteryman, since I’ve been poor since MB shrunk) funded the getting-the-game-up-and-running part of the show. Servers had to be set up, chunks of flash changed, login made, etc. Some of the setup, was of course ‘development’ technically, like FB login and efficiency changes on the back end (see ‘server costs’ below for more details). Total cost was about triple this month’s income (not including Mysteryman’s, GGG’s Thatdave’s and my time, which will be counted as free until further notice). We’re going to try and pay off this ‘debt’ slowly. Obviously we don’t want it to suck up our funds, but since we’re already not paying ourselves we’d like to recoup a little. If we feel that recouping is limiting our ability to develop new things, we’ll stop.

COSTS:

Royalties to Japan – I’m going to take this off the top before dividing everything up, because there’s probably something in my contract saying I can’t tell you the cut. But, as someone who’s worked in licensing, I can tell you it’s reasonable. Overall the Japanese have been really great about the financials, giving us time to pay and supplying us with thousands in free software. Overall, it will probably be early next year before they will have taken more than they've given in value.

Server Costs – 15%

This is a fair number and we will be getting it lower as we go – both as a % because it shouldn’t rise much with increased traffic/income AND as a flat number because we’re going to work to improve it. I can tell you at Media Blasters Server costs were always more than 50% and often crept over 80% (and they were making way more money). GP did a little better, but not that much. We spent a lot of time and effort at the setup stage to change the way certain things were done to make this possible. Essentially, when we were assembling our business plan, reducing server costs was the first requirement for making this whole thing a feasible project.

Paying back Setup/Startup (as detailed above) costs – 15%

New Development (paying for developers beyond the core Apocoplay team) – 35%

Set aside for possible chargebacks – 15%

Taxes, fees, legal/financial expenses – 20%

-Those last two sections may bleed into each other a little bit depending on how things go, since either one could very easily turn out to not be high enough.

So, that's where we are! We'll be jogging these numbers around month to month, depending on how things go and what changes. Our goal is to increase the % going to New Development each month. Since a lot of the other costs are more or less fixed, as donations increase, the % going to development will increase as well. Again, we appreciate your support and keep checking back on our financial reports each month so you can track our progress.
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Re: Alteil October 2012 Financial Report

Postby Callonia » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:06 pm

So this is what it looks like.
Callonia

Postby hexagram » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:50 pm

I just wonder how Logress survives financially - considering he has a family and all.

I am assuming he has some other source of income If not I feel sorry for him. Savings or another job i assume- him or gagogirl?.

As this game does not look like a good source for a primary income atleast for the forseeable future but then again he would know better than me having been heavily involved for so many years.

'Don't worry be happy' Bob Marley
Too much negatively be happy and :)

Also new guys Worthings starter replays Remember use starter switcher at lvl10 to get all 4 starters

free player till level 190. If I can do it so can you.
hexagram

Postby MysteryMan » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:25 pm

hexagram wrote:I just wonder how Logress survives financially - considering he has a family and all.

I am assuming he has some other source of income If not I feel sorry for him. Savings or another job i assume- him or gagogirl?.

As this game does not look like a good source for a primary income atleast for the forseeable future but then again he would know better than me having been heavily involved for so many years.

If you are talking about the long term be aware that as Alteil gets converted to a new engine we will have one more money generating asset - a modern engine that specializes in card games and board games with built in analytics. There are a lot of established board games out there that are begging to be brought online. In the long term we can monetize by charging IP rights holders a fee to bring their game online and have a revenue sharing model when the game is live. That also means more resources for Alteil :).
MysteryMan

Postby AngelicDeath » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:10 pm

I'll throw in my 2 cents for what it is worth. I would have preferred actual numbers in all aspects but I guess we get what we can get. Percentages are nice but unless there are absolute numbers to quantify it doesn't tell me much. 50% of 5000 usd/month or 500,000 usd/month. I want to justify spending again but unless I have some idea of the gap needed to be covered it could just be me buying cards to let the game go under again.

Clearly Alteil isn't a forgone conclusion and it has a great potential to be a money making venture ( or else why go through all this trouble?). Alteil generates revenues by selling cards. Since our relaunch we have had no EX sales and no set release despite the fact that we have been down since July.

From what I have seen and suspect, most purchasers of EX sets buy all spheres-Icyglare can say it's limited sample size or my experience or whatever but it is what i think. I just find it hard to believe that the majority of spenders are "falkow" players or "lawtia" players etc. we are "light years " behind Japan no from when we started and there are tons of EX to catch up on.

I suggest selling 2 EX sets a month at a rate of 150 gran per card ( down from 250/card) and likewise a reduction on full box ex (for those of us that purchase full boxes). This is not unreasonable for us spenders as it animprovement in cpc but an overall increase in monthly alteil expenditures. The converse is true for the company. I have to imagine the purchasers of EX are rather consistent and therefore a constant revenue source. As far as card development goes, it is 16 cards a month.

just my thoughts.
Nought's had, all's spent, Where our desire is got without content;'Tis safer to be that which we destroy Than by destruction dwell in doubtful joy.

Ne Obliviscaris
AngelicDeath

Postby Logress » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:59 am

OK, you've convinced me. (starts planning EX 11)
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Postby Teru » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:31 am

Logress wrote:OK, you've convinced me.

11.13.12 never forget.
Teru

Postby Peralisc9001 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:22 am

Logress please no more emana / ex mystere stuff! PLEASE! @_@

I saw Mirette yesterday play it and i am glad i never had to face that kind of deck. Nice deck tho!
~ Retired ~
perhaps until the game is actually improved through change or perhaps forever since there are so damn many other games and better things to do @_@
http://www.educatinghumanity.com/2012/0 ... anies.html
Peralisc9001

Postby asxlen64 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:12 am

Logress wrote:OK, you've convinced me. (starts planning EX 11)

question what are you plans for all those EX MERMAIDS jp has alot of, are you going to splash them altogether or something.
NitroDino : the thing I don't like about blacksun type players is the only thing they want is to win.
Thank mitsu for this sig.
SMILE/IVEY: ふふふ、笑わせるわね。君じゃ、私を雇うなんて100年以上は甘いわヨ
asxlen64

Postby gadu » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:03 am

Wasn't there supposed to be a November Financial Report too?
Abuser Punisher / Callonia
gadu

Next

Return to Castle Folrart