New Players

Everything that doesn't go anywhere else.

Re: New Players

Postby CainHyde » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:44 am

gadu wrote:I don't have high skill. I just want to play against people who have high skill. I'm sorry my post made some people mad, it was meant to come off as a sarcastic, but it seems like that tone didn't come across.

I can tell that when I play amateurs, they are not having fun. I don't see how they can be having fun when every turn, they don't even have a chance to attack me and I am killing their units round after round. I am not having fun too. It would be nice if a better match pairing system was made.

Iceman, what is astra?

Astaforse perhaps?
That Gowen/Lawtia doll SS that deal 40 dmg and something else.
I'm pretty sure lots of low level/RP use it as SS (before set 11 arrives).
"Humans fall to corruption.
So too do saints and heroes.
There is no stopping it.
That in itself is salvation."
CainHyde

Postby InfernityFan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:26 am

gadu wrote:I can tell that when I play amateurs, they are not having fun. I don't see how they can be having fun when every turn, they don't even have a chance to attack me and I am killing their units round after round. I am not having fun too. It would be nice if a better match pairing system was made.

There is always an option to give up. It's just the last two weeks we have an event that forced players to go turn 10, so you might get that situation a lot. But in normal games, if they let themselves watch their units slaughtered, who are we to say they don't have fun? Maybe they try to learn how your file works.
My VN Blog
Currently Playing : Harukuru, welcome to the Kyaya Ufufu land, hehehe...
InfernityFan

Postby Anima13 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:19 pm

Maybe it would be general helpful to add a 12th achievement into the game, that revards new players to watch something like 50 games to the end.
It could help new players to get basic concepts in game, see the strenghs and weakness of current running files and get a feeling for what is a realistic idea and what not.
Anima13

Postby angelspawns » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:00 pm

And MAYBE an integrated chat would help. When newbies have questions they can ask around the moment they got them. Maybe it would help if they logged into the game, they get welcomed by the loving chatting community... ready to give advice, follow their match, and perhaps even give realtime comments as they play it!

Maybe.
angelspawns

Postby Romdeau » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:34 pm

Call me maybe.
Romdeau

Postby worthing » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:35 pm

I accept all newcomers with open arms. eff the haters
worthing

Postby GonFreeces31 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:22 pm

angelspawns wrote:ready to give advice, follow their match, and perhaps even give realtime comments as they play it!

This makes the game feel more like a quiz and less like a game.
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Postby angelspawns » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:12 pm

Every chat should have a block feature and/or multiple Tabs. You can chose to ignore. ;/ It's like one of the many sites that automatically have a chat open on their page that you can enter.

The way things are now this game is just VERY soloistic. There's little to no community feeling and interaction that will keep newbies tied onto the game and encourage them to get through the first rough phase. As newbie you're feeling very much on your own.
Only interaction is with a rival opponent :!: , get an occasional oneliner, and then on to the next *ss kicking. Not everybody wants to go through dozens of *sskickings first and get selftaught untill it gets fun? Before you "get the hang of it" you're either already hooked (enough to actively search for more interaction and advice at other places) or leave.

I have plenty more advice to give that will improve interaction, newbie performance, lower dropout, and make this game overall more appealing to newcomers. Having an interactive chat is only a start but it'll be a big step in the right direction of making this a REAL online game. Another step could be giving more incentive to Guilds. Another one could be making things easier to understand and run smooth & logical. Etc.
I'm confident MysteryMan has that last part covered though. Very important newcomers don't have to second & tripple guess where to find or how to do everything. (remember the previous MyIczer page?? You were searching silly where you could finally check this game out! I wonder how many people we lost by that, only wanting to have a quick look what Alteil is about...)
angelspawns

Postby Scientiafide » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:22 pm

angelspawns wrote:Every chat should have a block feature and/or multiple Tabs. You can chose to ignore. ;/ It's like one of the many sites that automatically have a chat open on their page that you can enter.

The way things are now this game is just VERY soloistic. There's little to no community feeling and interaction that will keep newbies tied onto the game and encourage them to get through the first rough phase. As newbie you're feeling very much on your own.
Only interaction is with a rival opponent :!: , get an occasional oneliner, and then on to the next *ss kicking. Not everybody wants to go through dozens of *sskickings first and get selftaught untill it gets fun? Before you "get the hang of it" you're either already hooked (enough to actively search for more interaction and advice at other places) or leave.

I have plenty more advice to give that will improve interaction, newbie performance, lower dropout, and make this game overall more appealing to newcomers. Having an interactive chat is only a start but it'll be a big step in the right direction of making this a REAL online game. Another step could be giving more incentive to Guilds. Another one could be making things easier to understand and run smooth & logical. Etc.
I'm confident MysteryMan has that last part covered though. Very important newcomers don't have to second & tripple guess where to find or how to do everything. (remember the previous MyIczer page?? You were searching silly where you could finally check this game out! I wonder how many people we lost by that, only wanting to have a quick look what Alteil is about...)

I agree, these would be some lovely changes. The community aspect in this game does seem to be lacking quite a bit.

And to those of you who say that this community is toxic or w/e, the community is the last thing you should blame. As someone who actually actively helps new players (simply because I actually kind of enjoy it), I'd be the first to say that it's not the community's responsibility to do a damn thing. Most people who play games do so just to relax and have fun, and nothing more should be expected of them. I've also seen tons of games with so-called horrible communities that are actually thriving.

When it comes to retaining new players, the emphasis should be placed on the things spawns mentioned, but also on things like better tutorials, better pricing, and game design that fosters community. Don't blame or expect the playerbase to do anything about it, it's not their problem (and it shouldn't be).

Scientiafide

Postby GonFreeces31 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:34 pm

angelspawns wrote:The way things are now this game is just VERY soloistic. There's little to no community feeling and interaction that will keep newbies tied onto the game and encourage them to get through the first rough phase. As newbie you're feeling very much on your own.

This times 10. Great point I've tried to make this point myself in the past too.
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

PreviousNext

Return to Alteil General Discussion