Possible explanation for why so many people quit at lvl 10

Everything that doesn't go anywhere else.

Re: Possible explanation for why so many people quit at lvl

Postby MysteryMan » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:41 am

InfernityFan wrote:One possible explanation is maybe, just a maybe, they don't want the newbies to get overwhelmed by the large amount of cards. I do get overwhelmed when I first played Magic and its jaw-dropping amount of cards... though the point is kinda moot since it's only ~40 different kind of cards here.

Alteil is a big game and has a lot to take in, so we don't want to overwhelm new users. We also want to reward users when the reach level 10 - so new users should only be able to choose one starter and get all 10 when they hit level 10.

If you think we should give all 4 starters in a different way, then we'll take that into account and do something about it.

The sprint after next should have a new registration screen where you can choose your avatar and starters off the bat without having to click many of times as well as instructional videos.
MysteryMan

Postby Peralisc9001 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:01 am

MTG Planewalkers Challenge was unlocking a deck after each stage completion or nearly as often at least.

What if there was a new starter every level up? Reach level 4 you got 4 starters. So every level you have time to test each one out individually if you like or stick to the old. Or even give new starter every 2 levels, thus at level 8 you got all 4 and have time to test them until you leave crest so you know what will work out best in folrart.
~ Retired ~
perhaps until the game is actually improved through change or perhaps forever since there are so damn many other games and better things to do @_@
http://www.educatinghumanity.com/2012/0 ... anies.html
Peralisc9001

Postby AqvasFire2 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:48 pm

IMO the bigger issue with Alteil is that it has the exact opposite curve of a good game. A good game is rather easy to pick up, yet difficult to master. Alteil is rather difficult to learn (oh look at all these different attributes. How does range work? What about field placement? ETc. etc.), but once you do learn it, you start to come across all of these one-sided matches in which one player's cards are either not a fit for the current game (you're playing a rush, opponent stacks DF), or your opponent flat out counters you (hi EXLap, I'm the return grimoire).
AqvasFire2

Postby Peralisc9001 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:38 pm

That is true, but that's a more general issue and not limited to starters alone.
~ Retired ~
perhaps until the game is actually improved through change or perhaps forever since there are so damn many other games and better things to do @_@
Peralisc9001

Postby Scientiafide » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:22 pm

MysteryMan wrote:
InfernityFan wrote:One possible explanation is maybe, just a maybe, they don't want the newbies to get overwhelmed by the large amount of cards. I do get overwhelmed when I first played Magic and its jaw-dropping amount of cards... though the point is kinda moot since it's only ~40 different kind of cards here.

Alteil is a big game and has a lot to take in, so we don't want to overwhelm new users. We also want to reward users when the reach level 10 - so new users should only be able to choose one starter and get all 10 when they hit level 10.

If you think we should give all 4 starters in a different way, then we'll take that into account and do something about it.

The sprint after next should have a new registration screen where you can choose your avatar and starters off the bat without having to click many of times as well as instructional videos.

The problem is that a lot of newbies currently playing received a starter switcher (and already had one) before reaching lvl 10, so the lvl up was kind of pointless. I'm not sure if new lvl 1s start off with a starter switcher still either, I could be wrong.

But personally starting everyone off with the 4 starters isn't problematic imo. Players are only provided with 4 options, and getting to lvl 10 for a new player takes around 25 wins from what I've seen (which can be anywhere from 25-75+ games depending on the player's skill level). Within that time, having some options to experiment would be really appreciated by a new player, especially since we're talking about a lot of games here.

If you want to make lvl 10 really rewarding while making the starter switcher useful, maybe the starter switcher can be replaced with a "prebuilt voucher." The prebuilt voucher lets a player cash it in for any prebuilt of their choice. Not only is getting a new file really exciting, but prebuilts are a pretty good introduction towards more advanced file types. They would also let new players be a bit more competitive in folrart. I'm sure they'd be much, much more likely to stick around if this were implemented.

Scientiafide

Postby MiKeMiTchi » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:02 pm

So these Starter switcher cards lets newbies get ALL four starter files without returning\switching their previous starters?

If a "prebuilt voucher" is too much, what Alteil can do is to update the beginner pack and reward them to players when they reach level 10.
MiKeMiTchi

Postby Scientiafide » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:05 pm

MiKeMiTchi wrote:So these Starter switcher cards lets newbies get ALL four starter files without returning\switching their previous starters?

If a "prebuilt voucher" is too much, what Alteil can do is to update the beginner pack and reward them to players who reached level 10.

You have to trade in your old starter to get the 4 new ones.

Anyway, that's not a bad idea either.

Scientiafide

Postby Peralisc9001 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:18 pm

Bad since i have absolutely NO OTHER REASONABLE WAY to get my 2 copies of dalos back if i do the trade.
~ Retired ~
Peralisc9001

Postby Callonia » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:45 pm

Meh got my playset of dalos long time ago through some uh uhhhh the pinpointer 3* lotto accidenlty got a playset of dalos so i pinpointed ruuca.
Callonia

Postby Peralisc9001 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:49 pm

Well i recycled 2 copies since i had the starter version just so i can squeeze out that little extra gran and try get something. Makes sense?
~ Retired ~
Peralisc9001

PreviousNext

Return to Alteil General Discussion