Newbie Mermaid

Game FAQ and Beginner's Corner

Newbie Mermaid

Postby CainHyde » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:15 am

My file:

T1: Regus
T2: Owl Sage/ Mermaid Shield Soldier
T3: Owl Sage/ Mermaid Shield Soldier/MoF

Then summon Shufas or Spear depends on the matchup.
Summon Metia as soon as 1 Mermaid die.
Use Shufas+transformation against slowpoke tank.
Use Carrier for mini buff when Metia out of ammo/use her to get Metia copy back.
Use harpist to recover from mass genocide and Refuge at the same time.
More or less like that.
Any comment?
"Humans fall to corruption.
So too do saints and heroes.
There is no stopping it.
That in itself is salvation."
CainHyde

Re: Newbie Mermaid

Postby gadu » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:10 am

Hi Cain,

I worry about some of your cards working against you sometimes like your second SS locking your key L4 units and Storm engaging your own characters who are a lot stronger than your non-characters.

For Harpist, Wandering bard open would be a lot more SP efficient, but I assume you don't have it. Further, it might be better to have more L1 units for Harpist to return like Sylph who is a natural fit for Spear Fighter.

You want to play it like refess, but you're lacking any units that can tank your field (the only tribal options you have are Soldier Human or Friendship). You could use Guardian, but that last one requires more setup with Bard and +2 sphere SS or Proxy.

I would remove:

2 Storm Wizard
3 Wizard Soldier
1 Dream Singer
If you don't have Bard, I don't think investing into refess sphere is worth 2 Harpist

I would add:

3 Soldier Human
2 Sylph/Undine
1 Mermaid Sorc. Girl

The key thing is how you open. Here are some options:

1. Shield (Slot 5)
2. Sorc. Girl (Slot 8)
3. Shufas

However if you're fighting Refess, then Shield (Slot 2), Sorc. Girl back row, Shufas (Slot 5) so you can one shot Guardian.

I haven't tried this one extensively, but sounds good in my mind:

1. Jewel
2. Shield
3. Spear Human
4. Sylph/Mermaid

Note you will have to pack Tidal to backlash Falkow and I know you said "no returns."

1. E. Buncle
2. MoF
3. Shield/L3/Faytis depending on opponents field

My current open:

1. Bard
2. Refugee
3. L3

I'll talk about your SS later, but the biggest priority right now is establishing a strong start. The cards you choose to use are really not that important because it's really a matter of preference, however a strong opening move set is key with this tribe. Tell me what you think.
Abuser Punisher / Callonia
gadu

Postby gadu » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:05 am

Cain,

I saw you match against mid/big red today. I think that's the hardest matchup for Mermaids and you played admirably. I wish you had more luck that match.

Singer of Dreams is really good in that matchup, I didn't appreciate it until I saw your match.

Soldier Human and Sorceress seemed like nice additions to your file. I still think you're doing yourself a disservice by playing harpist because it costs so much SP.

I definitely think that replacing L4 Spear with Shufas and Transform would help your file more than anything right now.

Return 3 Deep One SS is good for a Mermaid centered file like yours. Rasam might also help stall for you to get set up.

Keep up the good work.
gadu

Postby CainHyde » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:34 am

I don't know what do you mean by second SS locking my key L4 units.
I have no agi 4 unit in my file and making my enemy can't get guaranteed first hit in early part of game is always a good things.
Plus non-random 40 damage should be enough to get rid most annoying key unit on back row as well.

For storm, yeah I start to feel the same that's why I'm trying to use other non chara lv 3 mermaid.
Soldier pretty decent IMO and she can somewhat help me against heavy defense cards.
A role that originally was Shufas.
To be honest that ex mermaid is the best candidate, but still not sure if it's a waste of gran or not. >.>
About engaging Metia, I think it fair trade since most file is far more character heavy than me. But I'll think about it.

About wandering bard/Sylph/other non-maid Lv1, I have them but don't want to use them.
1. He is LP liability. During most of my losing match, I always end up losing due to not enough LP. If he stay, Owl Sage need to go. IMO Owl Sage > them.
2. They ARE not a mermaid, so can't revived by harpist. They also useless aside from open. Owl Sage still can be useful if he don't die early.
3. File space

E.Buncle = No no. I already have enough with T1 backslash. Plus I can't afford losing 1 SP in early part of duel. Must not stop pouring army of mermaid to field.
3 Wizard Soldier = Free revive tank that can attack with decent speed is always needed.
1 Dream Singer = What should I do if I don't have her. :3
Storm Wizard = Still not sure what card can replace her.
Return = Meh...
---
Damn... a stalker. :lol:
Anyway I won (He gave up before I iczer him 2-3 more times.)
Probably I'll still won after 1 or 2 more turn nevertheless.

I still think you're doing yourself a disservice by playing harpist because it costs so much SP.
I definitely think that replacing L4 Spear with Shufas and Transform would help your file more than anything right now.

But she's so much fun. :D
With 2 free revive unit+ SS 2 SP + MoF + Owl Sage, I think I can afford juggling her toward the end.
Too bad she only revive not revive and heal. :(
And I do realize a certain card that will devour my file exist.
Bitter Destiny is my worst nightmare, thanks god never met one so far.
But I always scared of that card appearing everytime I fight against Lawtia. Q_Q

But Shufas lack firepower without Transformation and I have face lots of grimbanes unit lately. >.>
Most of time Transformation failed to save me and it make me lose 1 turn to put 1 more unit in field.
That's why I am trying hard to put no grim if possible.
Also already too many range 1 unit. @_@
There is no stopping it.
CainHyde

Postby gadu » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:57 pm

I misread that SS, sorry.

One thing I want to mention is that prior to Set 9 (or was it 10?), Mermaids relied completely on Metia to win a fight, but when Shecas and Shufas arrived, the tribe finally got a few units that could pose a threat so that during the turns Metia died, you could actually fight back for a change. So when you expect a turn that Metia will be dead, you play transform for your Mermaids so you don't have a field of 30 ATT 3 AGI punching bags. It's also good to play it when you're trying to store SP to bring out your next units.

With harpist, she won't revive Metia, so you still have a field of 30 ATT 3 AGI punching bags that will get beat up by most of the metas out there. When she's on the field, she doesn't do much either.
gadu

Postby CainHyde » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:04 am

Gadu, I won't debate regarding Transformation and/or Shufas.
I knew how powerful and useful they are in Mermaid deck.

But 50 HP and 3 AGI without Transformation is suffering.
And I have luck that more or less on Call level, most of time I really need Shufas to OHKO a certain tank/unit with her attack/action it always miss or Shufas get her turn after enemy engaged.
This make Mermaid Soldier or any variant of her (Human and Ex) is slightly superior than her due to pinpoint.

And IDK about you, but when I still use Shufas and transform I often fight file with grimbane or SP drain.
I can't think any idea how to avoid grimbane or SP drain.
FYI I usually rush Shufas before Metia, to hopefully absorbing enemy most grim and SS.
So with Shufas already on field, even if I use Transformation during that turn/do not use it, Transformation is guaranteed to get banned soon or later.
SP drain? GG. I have no use for extra sphere.

With harpist, she won't revive Metia, so you still have a field of 30 ATT 3 AGI punching bags that will get beat up by most of the metas out there. When she's on the field, she doesn't do much either.

Correction.
You forget a certain 50 AT on second row, Spear have at least 50 AT that can pierce 1 column that I wanted or 2 column if Harpist want me to win.
It's SP heavy but it's possible for me to destroy enemy column and revive Spear for more than 3 or 4 times.
Even if Spear is dead before she can attack, I can always revive her next turn.

Not to mention, I have slight immunity against Field wipe SS or grim or open.
For 3 (1 Sphere + Lv 1 or Lv 2 card) SP, I can revive all of my maid.
And since most of my Lv 2 card have useful open, IMO it's fair cost.

To be honest before I have Harpist, near the end of match I always have unused abundant amount of SP and no more unit/enough LP to summon another unit.
Already try inserting Monk or Bog, but it's either they die without doing anything useful or they die and I have no more remaining LP.
40 HP or 70 HP that can revived only 1 or 2 times is too fragile.
---
I know it's pretty hard to do and takes time.
But Dream+Harpist combo could give me guaranteed Metia retrieval.
So there is that too.
There is no stopping it.
CainHyde

Postby CainHyde » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:09 pm

Gadu, usually how your mermaid performance against **** Grebados?
And how if they pack Afee SS, Rasam SS, and POM SS or lots of early SP advantage?
In general, my Mermaid and Refess file always have problem against low level unit tsunami that kill my my unit every turn and still able to summon 1 card that hit hard/fast every turn after reviving all their card.
EX: EN, Pixie, Ork, Gowen rush with Kurina+Tiger+Salamander, Merc, Lv 2 WK rush, etc.
How about you?
There is no stopping it.
CainHyde

Postby gadu » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:42 pm

Hi Cain,

Dang, I recently had a match with Grebados, but they don't let us free people save.

I'm afraid to say that since you don't have Shecas, it will be hard, however, the other Mermaid Archers are the next best replacement. One of the great things about Mermaids is they are filled with pinpointers that deal with all the problematic units out there. For example, that L2 Mermaid Archer may seem totally vanilla, but she can pinpoint for 60 DMG with Metia, which is right in the sweet spot for Grebados. Mermaid Archer Human can also get up to 60 DMG with a transform.

A few sets ago, I lost to ORKS all the time, but with my current Mermaid file, I've beaten ORKS (along with everything else ;) ) consistently.

If opponent has Affee SS, usually my first +2/+3 SP SS mitigates the effect a bit, but recently I was trolled by Fierte, Affee, Assassain, Assassain SS' and there is nothing you can do about things like that. Unfortunately, it's part of the rock, paper, scissors, style matches that are a part of Alteil. Just try to hang in there and be liberal about letting your units die to keep the SP flowing.

Rasam SS is annoying for everyone, and they won't make it random target like it should be. For your file specifically, the best answer is Fairy Blessing.

PoM SS: Well, I use one too, so I guess that just makes us even.

I know exactly what you mean by those examples you wrote. Mermaids are really weak so when they are facing a fast, hard hitting file, you can get stuck in the SP lock easily and lose the battle before it has even begun.

You won't use returns, so I won't even talk about that. You can rush out Metia really fast (around Turns 4-6), or you can spend 1200G and slow the pace of the match down using Ex Mermaid skill which might give you more time to set up your field up and protect you from spending precious SP reviving your mermaids early on. Old Emana can also do this, but Ex Mermaid is better I think.

Alternatively, you can use a lot of multi-damage SS which wrecks things like WK and Pixies. Things like 40+ DMG multi-hit work wonders in those kinds of matches.

I almost forgot, I don't have this card unfortunately, so I can't talk from experience, but theoretically, Mermaid Archer Human would be amazing against fast rush files. If your SS is something like 40 DMG +2 Grim, followed by Singer of Dreams SS, you can start field wiping with Mermaid Archer Human, Shufas, Transform.

Ask me anything. I'll train you any time. I'm the best Mermaid player in the game. :D
gadu

Postby CainHyde » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:37 am

Yeah, I want Shecas.
But I don't have even 1 copy of her.
No Shecas is suffering. Q_Q

And pretty sure I have no playset of any ranged pinpoint Mermaid.
Mermaid Soldier is 1 range so can't help against **** ork.
Probably should ask Arakis to check Mermaid Archer Human combo performance.
Thanks...

Yeah, I could use Fairy Blessing. But it's a bit not compatible with me since early game I'm too busy dropping unit to field and I NEVER able to guess someone gonna trigger Rasam SS this turn or not.
I can guess Fierte, Assassin SS but not Rasam or Faytis.
I still can try it though.

It's possible to replace my MoF with 1x Tidal, since MoF often troll me with 0 SP and Shade love MoF.
Too bad I think I still have no POM SS. And I have no idea how to use Lucia or Shvara in my file.

More and more reason to get EX Soldier.
Sigh... probably gonna buy it a few hour before the EX gone.
There is no stopping it.
CainHyde

Postby gadu » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:36 am

Before you buy Ex Mermaid Soldier, let me say this. I recently bought Ex Mermaid Soldier who replaced Mermaid Soldier Human in my file. Was it worth it?

Depends. No I'm not just talking about peeing your pants. I do not believe Ex Mermaid Soldier will save you from any deficets in the rest of your file or unskilled play in the arena. I think that another L3 maid can net you similar results without breaking your wallet.

At the meta level however, I think she can be a difference maker in beating the top tier files. There have been matches where I think I won with a little less stress or she helped clinched a match, thought at the same time, the outcome may have been the same without Ex Mermaid.

I think the best thing about her is that she can sometimes stall during those turns where Metia is out or early on when you are trying to set up your field (very important since very few things can stand up to a full Mermaid field). The downside I've noticed is that sometimes I need Mermaids in the cemetary and I used her skill so they don't get to the cemetary as fast.
gadu

Next

Return to Lapierre Sensei's Classroom