Ropey's Fun Food Forum

Re: Ropey's Fun Food Forum

Postby Ropey » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:08 am

I don't think people from other counties really understand how tight the UK is on guns firearms and just about anything that can be used as a weapon. The last time I got busted by the police they confiscated not only my airguns, which I could have got back at a latter date, but also my prized army issue machete which they did not offer back, along with my other gardening tools!

It's good to know that there seems to be good cross section of people who eat meat, hunt it and have respect for it, and veggies.

The worst thing you can do with any game is hang it. I think the traditional way in making meat almost rot is unnecessary. When you consider the slow methods of cooking you can use instead to tenderize it. Marinating meat is also a great way round the old practice. Pheasant is nice simply roasted and served with red wine sauce.

This year I will have duck breast, roasted shallots parsnips and potatoes, creamed swede and buttered cabbage all served with a red wine gravy.

Boxing day I will do Venison. which I have never really tried.

I made an onion marmalade earlier which I ate with cheese and crackers.
"My mind is not for rent to any god or government"

ImageImageImage
Ropey

Postby asxlen64 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:08 pm

Ropey wrote:I don't think people from other counties really understand how tight the UK is on guns firearms and just about anything that can be used as a weapon. The last time I got busted by the police they confiscated not only my airguns, which I could have got back at a latter date, but also my prized army issue machete which they did not offer back, along with my other gardening tools!

It's good to know that there seems to be good cross section of people who eat meat, hunt it and have respect for it, and veggies.

The worst thing you can do with any game is hang it. I think the traditional way in making meat almost rot is unnecessary. When you consider the slow methods of cooking you can use instead to tenderize it. Marinating meat is also a great way round the old practice. Pheasant is nice simply roasted and served with red wine sauce.

This year I will have duck breast, roasted shallots parsnips and potatoes, creamed swede and buttered cabbage all served with a red wine gravy.

Boxing day I will do Venison. which I have never really tried.

I made an onion marmalade earlier which I ate with cheese and crackers.

MACHETE, why would you have that, but yes i dont approve of firearms, never been a fan of them, though i live in a country where the 2nd amendment says i have the right to bear it(though do wish it would change). ALSO your meal sounds great, but you forgot to add fresh fruit on your list.
NitroDino : the thing I don't like about blacksun type players is the only thing they want is to win.
Thank mitsu for this sig.
SMILE/IVEY: ふふふ、笑わせるわね。君じゃ、私を雇うなんて100年以上は甘いわヨ
asxlen64

Postby Ropey » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:28 pm

My machete was not only a great gardening and survival tool it helped protect me from the rougher elements of the estate I live on. One of my neighbors was kicked to death on the street. I just ain't going out like that! Last drug dealer that threatened me on my own door step, was told that if he did not remove himself then I would take the action of throwing ant killer in his eyes. Probably less caustic than the coke he sells! He is btw nice as pie to me now.

but I don't wish for this to become a thread on home protection or the macho bull of use of weapons.

I had grapefruit for breakfast :)
Last edited by Ropey on Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ImageImageImage
Ropey

Postby Peralisc9001 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:44 pm

Fresh fruits means medium rare meat, right? :D
~ Retired ~
perhaps until the game is actually improved through change or perhaps forever since there are so damn many other games and better things to do @_@
http://www.educatinghumanity.com/2012/0 ... anies.html
Peralisc9001

Postby Ropey » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:06 pm

How on earth did you guess? :shock:

ImageImageImage
Ropey

Postby AngelicDeath » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:14 pm

Ropey,

Let me know how the venison turns out. My colleagues hunt deer every year but i have no patience for that style of hunting. If i am going to do deer i need to be in the opening stage of last of the mohicans. I cannot sit and wait in a tree stand all day in the cold- i need to be on the move. My buddies usually do chilli or jerky or steaks with venison.

My wife cooks really well. Today we had 2 cornish hens ( brined, seasoned/rubbed then stuffed), beef tenderloin, mashed potatoes, stuffing - scratch made not box, dutch apple pie (streussal topping was a bit too sweet for my liking was my wife's first at that), brioche bread ( we have a bread maker-fun to do with the kids), and red wine. All in all an excellent lunch/dinner. I took some photos if you want to see.

Cheers,
AD
Nought's had, all's spent, Where our desire is got without content;'Tis safer to be that which we destroy Than by destruction dwell in doubtful joy.

Ne Obliviscaris
AngelicDeath

Postby Peralisc9001 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:30 pm

Cornish hens as in hens from cornwall or what? :shock:
~ Retired ~
perhaps until the game is actually improved through change or perhaps forever since there are so damn many other games and better things to do @_@
Peralisc9001

Postby Ropey » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:35 pm

Sounds a treat and I would love to see pics thanks.

I too had a bread maker. People used to scoff that I didn't make it by hand, but the results justified it, and I made a loaf nearly everyday. Not had brioche in years. One chef I used to work with made sweet croutons for a peach dish. It was kinda novel. Just tossed em in butter then sprinkled with icing sugar.

ImageImageImage
Ropey

Postby Peralisc9001 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:54 pm

I often make my own bread, but have no clue how to make it "fluffy".
~ Retired ~
Peralisc9001

Postby Ropey » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:08 am

Peralisc9001 wrote:I often make my own bread, but have no clue how to make it "fluffy".

Do you use a bread maker?

ImageImageImage
Ropey

PreviousNext

Return to General Off Topic