Got Questions?: Practical Basic info for low levels

Everything that doesn't go anywhere else.

Got Questions?: Practical Basic info for low levels

Postby darklogos » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:40 pm

Hello you brand new player. You may or may not have read the tutorial. This isn't going to cover anything in the tutorial. This is going to cover some basic stuff you need to know to save your time in Alteil and help you start off strong. You are a newb. Don't feel bad we all were newbs at some point in time. This guide is to make your transition from newb to newb lite faster.

Table of Contents

How range works

Getting New Cards

Chat

Deck building

Character backlash (new)
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter 1: How you smack my guy on the back row with your front row guy? hax!

I'm putting this up as because this is the hardest thing that people don't get when they start off in this game. Range doesn't work like other games. Just because I have a field full of range 1 units doesn't mean I can't hit your guy in the back row. First off range tells you how many cards you can hit in front of that unit. If your range is zero you can't hit anyone unless you have a skill that hits random units. So let me give you an example...

X=ME
Y=You

1xxx
3y

Ok my 3 units have a range of 1. There are 2 rows in front of them. There are no units in front of your unit. Even though you're on the back row because your field is clear I can come and curb stomp your unit. This makes having melee tanks worthwhile unlike some other games.

Now lets look at another example

1xxx
1yy
3y

This time you got some foot soliders for your cause. My lords of curb stomp can't hit your squishy cannon of uberness. Due to the fact that my 3 units have a range of 1. If one my units had a range of 2 for example there is a chance I could hit your back row unit. Now lets look at one more example...

1xxx
1yy
3y

Ok this time you have 3 lords of stomp and I have 3 walls of can't die. Your 3 cards have a range of 1. Your card on the back row with a range of 1 can't hit my units at all. Remember your cards with a range of one are not going to be able to attack on row 2 and 3.

Chapter 2 Darklogos PIMP MY DECK!

How do I get uber cardz to stomp the level 50 guy? Hold up there buddy let's start simple. First option you have is Mirage Master. This lets you earn gran aka in-game money for free. I recommend playing at 10 gran difficulty. You can get cash from MM once a day. Next way to get gran is to buy gran with real money. Spend what you can. Spending doesn't make you an Alteil Legend. It does give you more options. Next option for getting cards is point cards. Go to the shop under the EX tab you will find an option to trade in your Fight money for point cards. Yes its a lot of fight money for 1 card but its worth it in the long run. When you get enough point cards pm or email lupos to cash out your point cards. Your next option of getting new cards are treasure battles. Treasure battles happen when you are on a winning streak. They also happen when your opponent is on a winning streak. Keep that in mind. So you can play a person that is hot and have a chance of a treasure battle. You have to win to get the card. The last option to get more cards are forum contest. Look at the front page and take part in the contest. Worst case scenario you get a point card.

Chapter 3. BLAH BLAH BLAH

Chat is a resource to talk and get advice from better duelest. It is a place to gain friends. It is not a place to spam, bring up questions that can easily be found, and mindless profanity. Act out in chat you can get warned or even banned. Chat logs can be reported to the GM's. With all that said Chat is how I became a better duelest. Many times ideas drop in chat about the new super decks are or how to make counter decks. Its a good place to find a test partner for your new deck. Don't be Jack N Ape.

If there are any other really basic newb questions that a come up a lot in the future I'll add on to this.

Chapter 4. I summon EXODIA AND BLUE EYES ULITMATE BROKE DRAGON. **** the rules I have money!

Deck construction is not as hard as people make it out to be. First you need to click that little menu button in the bottom left corner and select file. You will see many slots for you to construct a deck. Click on an open box and select edit. Now your first thing that you place in are your units that you want to use. Look at the number you have of those cards. If you are depending on that unit then it is best to have 3 copies of that card in your deck. If you a situational card or a buffer card then its okay to have 2 copies of that card. The only time I say its best to have 1 copy of a card are for cards like Zugasa that can't die easily or Noireden whose close skill cost 1 lp to raise her. The other exception are sacrafice cards like spore.

Next thing to look at is what is the main tactic of the deck. Many times people don't have a goal and just play cards at random. Some valid goals are as follows...

Playing lots of Rank up units with panter soul or soul skill boost.
Return as many of your enemies cards as you can
Super high defense to buy time to build up your field
BIG HUGE FREAKING MONSTER TO CURB STOMP THE OTHER GUY

These are most of the basic tactics people start with. Some more advanced tactics involve team buffs and soul skill and unit combos. We will look at that in a moment. If you look through your selected cards and you see your main tactic not working out well then start removing cards and put in ones that work or think of a new tactic.

Soul skills are your life, defense, offense, and disruption. How you use soul skills determines if you win or loose. But if your soul skills don't help you main tactic it needs to be replaced. Soul skills are only as good as your tactic. Lets look at some examples...

Bazagar soul skill on Regen Knight or Noirweeden.
Drayd Soilder for Rank up decks or Allind decks.
Row damage soul skill for Rush decks
Magic doll melee soul for Lycan decks

This is just a starting point but as you become a better duelest you will see how string your soul skills to determine the flow of battle.

CHAPTER 5 I'm you from another universe...really.

Character backlash happens when either...

A. Both players play that same character unit at the same time.
B. A person has that character on their field (alive or closed) when another player plays that same unit.

The reason for this is to cause people to diversify their deck. I'm not arguing for that position but it is the reason for the mechanic. One way to avoid this is to figure out how your deck is going to be different then the typical Allind is god decks or the Orfen and Renally Friendfest that most people play. You have choices. Either A. try to play a generic card that does something similar or B. rush to get that card out before the other guy. A case for option A. is Witch and Aqua Sorc/Mystere. Both card return units. Witch can only return level 1's and 2's. Mystere can return any unit that is really fast or really slow. Mystere is very popular in wizard kingdom decks. If you can't play Mystere out fast or it is a really popular card that gets backlashed a lot you may want to think of some options with Witch. The option is using witch as an opener or mid game card to help you get rid of support units. Or you could use EX Primrose to make any target returnable. Now an example of option B. is Orfen. This a unit that doesn't have a counter part close to it other then Folrart Captain. This unit is key to Endless Morning. You take this unit away from Endless Morning their damage output goes down. So yes this is a unit to rush to get out.
Last edited by darklogos on Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
darklogos

Re: Got Questions?:Practical Basic info for low levels

Postby InigoMontoya » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:12 am

Thank you, Darklogos, esp for the discussion of range. This is the hardest thing to explain to new players! I'll now direct them to your post.

:)
InigoMontoya

Re: Got Questions?: Practical Basic info for low levels

Postby darklogos » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:12 am

update.
darklogos

Postby darklogos » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:43 pm

update
darklogos

Re: Got Questions?:Practical Basic info for low levels

Postby Phenoca » Thu May 14, 2009 12:12 am

InigoMontoya wrote:Thank you, Darklogos, esp for the discussion of range. This is the hardest thing to explain to new players!

Actually, I found LP-loss the most confusing when I started, because some units said 1 LP, whereas others said 2 LP or 3 LP.
flood + Pakistan = hunger
Phenoca

Postby mijorre » Thu May 14, 2009 4:02 pm

Heya Darky,

Can I ask you to run this through a spell-check?
I'd do it for you if you want.
Correct spelling looks professional :lol:
mijorre

Postby Romdeau » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:04 pm

Dark's guides are old and guides should be periodically updated to factor in new information. Either someone should start editing his threads or these stickies should be removed.
Romdeau

Postby Peralisc2 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:42 am

Did you check the alteil wiki? There the meta info is quite ridiculous and the lawtia one never made sense since it just lists 1-2 units.
ImageImage
Alteil is pretty much well balanced. Sometimes you loose and sometimes the enemy wins.
Peralisc2

Postby Metalraider » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:36 pm

Not about the game itself, but how do I scroll the text in ateil like for effects or card text. I want to read some of it and it cuts off. any one have an answer?
Metalraider

Postby LoneKnight » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:44 pm

You can't. You probably don't have the font-set that the flash is using at the moment installed so it defaults to the default fonts which are too big to fit.

Alteil is in a transitional phase at the moment, you'll either have to wait for this problem to pass or start installing fonts.

I... can't remember how to do that. I can faintly remember Logress mentioning he himself had this problem before and it fixed itself when he installed some programs that came with font packs (I think it was photoshop?). Was a long time ago.

Your short term fix is either doing that, or just have the card list from the main site open so you can check at a moment's notice.
LoneKnight

Next

Return to Alteil General Discussion