Extra Creditz episodes pertinent to Alteil

Everything that doesn't go anywhere else.

Extra Creditz episodes pertinent to Alteil

Postby DeeGee » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:16 pm

On accessibility:

Microtransactions

Questions for discussion:
How many suggestions in this video does Alteil break? Name them, explain how it breaks them, suggest ways it could be unbroken.

The Skinner Box

Questions for discussion:
In what ways does Alteil implement Skinner Box techniques?

On balance:

Counterplay

Question for discussion:
Why can't the file sizes be larger (say 36) in order to allow more room for counterplay?
DeeGee

Re: Extra Creditz episodes pertinent to Alteil

Postby GonFreeces31 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:30 pm

The microtransactions one is really good. Reminds me of why I see zero reason to play or put effort into helping this game right now.

I think I've seen the counterplay one before, but that also reminds me of something I dislike about the game. How a ton of matches used to be totally one-sided. One-sided matches where you don't feel like you have strategic choices to combat the enemy isn't really that fun.
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Postby Ropey » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:08 pm

I don't know if the things I hate about Alteil are it's fault or the players mentality. Some of the match ups I've had today I've lost simply cos I'm playing tribes that are stronger than mine and use SS's like engage and removal that I have no counter for. I imagine games between pixies and EN can be very good, but I don't play these files. Some of the players that are seem long in the tooth, and I wonder what they get out of playing the same files over and over. Maybe they are saving pt cards so they can complete files that are more imaginative, but I doubt it. So does the game force this type of play from weak minded adolescence? Or is that mentality already ingrained in them from life experience and other games? I bit of both I think.
Last edited by Ropey on Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My mind is not for rent to any god or government"

ImageImageImage
Ropey

Postby Callonia » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:31 pm

Ropey wrote:I don't know if the things I hate about Alteil are it's fault or the players mentality. Some of the match ups I've had today I've lost simply cos I'm playing tribes that are stronger than mine and use SS's like engage and removal that I have no counter for. I imagine games between pixies and EN can be very good, but I don't play these files. Some of the players that are seem long in the tooth, and I wonder what they get out of playing the same files over and over. Maybe they are saving pt cards so they can complete files that are more imaginative, but I doubt it. So does the game force this type of play from week minded adolescence? Or is that mentality already ingrained in them from life experience and other games? I bit of both I think.

Now you're reaching where I noticed about folrart arena! Have fun searching for a fun match up :P Also part of why I don't care about rp and such anyways.

I think 99% of the fun players left when DEFS file showed up. And is why I dislike DG. He supports boring file like you listed. Number of active duels haven't ever recovered to the point where we had more active duels going on before DEFS appearance. I did my best to punish the defs abusers back then by punishing them with three varieties of gmb i had.
Callonia

Postby DeeGee » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:37 pm

Everyone has their own definition of boring. My definition of boring is two players playing solitaire and then a game predetermined by who selects what file at the beginning of a match.
DeeGee

Postby Callonia » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:45 pm

DeeGee wrote:Everyone has their own definition of boring. My definition of boring is two players playing solitaire and then a game predetermined by who selects what file at the beginning of a match.

Its already predetermined that return abusers will always beat up a lvl 3 solar kingdom rush file. So why do you support it.

While a Merc nation vs Solar kingdom where outcome isn't guaranteed for both sides and you dislike it, why.

And yes, watching two players play solitaire is boring and we all know this because we're here on alteil forums instead of solitaire forum.
Callonia

Postby Icyman2 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:51 pm

these episodes are really good. i approve
Icyman2

Postby DeeGee » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:15 pm

Callonia wrote:
DeeGee wrote:Everyone has their own definition of boring. My definition of boring is two players playing solitaire and then a game predetermined by who selects what file at the beginning of a match.

Its already predetermined that return abusers will always beat up a lvl 3 solar kingdom rush file. So why do you support it.

While a Merc nation vs Solar kingdom where outcome isn't guaranteed for both sides and you dislike it, why.

And yes, watching two players play solitaire is boring and we all know this because we're here on alteil forums instead of solitaire forum.

If you understood what I was getting at when I meant two players Solitaire, you'd know that a file that depends on establishing a return lock (Dion) is the very opposite of a Solitaire file. Solitaire means that you play as though you had no opponent. A return-lock file plays a bunch of units with rather mediocre stats in the intent of locking down the opponent. The entire file is created with taking away an opponent's options, rather than winning in an overwhelming display of force.

Solar Kingdom vs. Merc Nation is far more solitaire than the usual Dion control match will be.
DeeGee

Postby Muklas » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:18 pm

Ropey wrote:I don't know if the things I hate about Alteil are it's fault or the players mentality. Some of the match ups I've had today I've lost simply cos I'm playing tribes that are stronger than mine and use SS's like engage and removal that I have no counter for. I imagine games between pixies and EN can be very good, but I don't play these files. Some of the players that are seem long in the tooth, and I wonder what they get out of playing the same files over and over. Maybe they are saving pt cards so they can complete files that are more imaginative, but I doubt it. So does the game force this type of play from week minded adolescence? Or is that mentality already ingrained in them from life experience and other games? I bit of both I think.

I like playing good files, I only have one good file ergo I'll keep playing that file 'till the cows come home.
Ha ha, I'm using the shaving foams!
Muklas

Postby DeeGee » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:22 pm

Muklas wrote:

I like playing good files, I only have one good file ergo I'll keep playing that file 'till the cows come home.

This.

And the worst part about it? The errata can only **** things up. In fact, there's no good way to do an errata. If you errata a common file, congratulations, you just screwed over all the free and low-spending players that pooled all their resources to build that one competitive file that didn't need a lot of rares (pixies, DEFS, WK). And if you errata a file that depends on chase rares? Congratulations, you just slapped the people that support your game the most in the face, having them pay for one thing, and giving them another.

Basically, as the microtransactions episode said: NEVER SELL POWER. Alteil management breaks that rule into a thousand little pieces and says "go F yourselves", and, welp, this tiny little sandbox dubbed "cash warriors" is the result.
DeeGee

Next

Return to Alteil General Discussion