Codified Community Tournaments Coming

Ongoing Promotions and Events

Codified Community Tournaments Coming

Postby Logress » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:23 am

'Codified Community Tournaments'... boy, that's a mouthful. But, a MEANINGFUL mouthful.

We've had a number of community tournaments in the past, generally run in the Training Arena, the involve a host organizing the tournament (generally in a bracket style), with various extra rules, banned cards, that kind of thing, and the discretion of the host. However, there was always confusion about what prizes could be given out, why they were so low, and rules often became too complicated, and there was too much planning involved to invite repeat hosting. Because the prizes were generally low, users often dropped out without warning, making game day difficult.

To solve all this... well, that's where the 'codified' part comes in. We will introduce a framework for a community tournament and a series of rules for hosting and participating in them. Hosts will be given a rating based on the number of tournaments they run, and the number of good reviews they get from the community. As their ratings increase, so will the prizes they will be able to give out, and so will the rewards they get for hosting. Hosts will be thus rewarded for their work, and be motivated to continue hosting and to garner positive reviews from their players. The more they host, the better for them, so the more experienced hosts will run more tournaments, which will be good for the community. To keep the work manageable, hosts will also get bonus points for helping out another host, so if a host wants some others around to check for cheaters or answer questions, that will be possible.

For now, this effort will be on establishing a codified set of rules that make sense, are fair, and limit the amount of stuff the host needs to think up on his or her own. We will use existing tools to manage it and collect host reviews. If it takes off and becomes very popular, maybe we'll have MysteryMan and his team build something for it.
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Re: Codified Community Tournaments Coming

Postby Khiruki » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:36 am

That sounds interesting.
ImageImage
Khiruki

Postby Icyglare » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:29 am

These tournaments are about to be...

Codified!
For a large amount of various Alteil Replays, try youtube link

<-- http://www.youtube.com/AlteilReplays -->

CEM guild brah!
Icyglare

Postby Pikeru » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:37 am

This is an excellent idea, I feel confident it should go over well with players.

It mentions bringing on others to assist including watching for cheating. Does this mean the banning of specific cards will be manual? Will the organizer and helpers have to watch the matches for this and have players bring up instances of others not following the deck construction guidelines?
The video BlackSun has never seen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKUgX232Qwc
Pikeru

Postby ZeroMan » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:58 am

sounds kinda familiar but with host added to it. still i want organized tournaments to be ran but thanks for the recognition

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=13982
ZeroMan

Postby GonFreeces31 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:43 pm

I'm almost expecting Rom to spear head this... But in case he doesn't I'd volunteer to host a tourney. I ran a few in the past and they went well. It would probably be a no tidal/return/cyclone/wrath tourney to make the peoples happy.
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Postby Icyman2 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:52 pm

That sounds really boring. Falkow matchups are the most interesting of my matches, except for ex mermaid. She can go suck a ****.
Icyman2

Postby Icyglare » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:56 pm

GonFreeces31 wrote:I'm almost expecting Rom to spear head this... But in case he doesn't I'd volunteer to host a tourney. I ran a few in the past and they went well. It would probably be a no tidal/return/cyclone/wrath tourney to make the peoples happy.

We can call it the Duke it out tournament, no return type cards/abilities/SS's along with removals. Heavily advice people to use some type of card that can get past Def or HP = 0 just in case.
For a large amount of various Alteil Replays, try youtube link

<-- http://www.youtube.com/AlteilReplays -->

CEM guild brah!
Icyglare

Postby gadu » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:19 pm

Icyglare wrote:We can call it the Duke it out tournament.

In honor of Callonia, I think it should be called "Fight like a Real Man" tournament.
Abuser Punisher / Callonia
gadu

Postby GonFreeces31 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:28 pm

I'm planning on using nothing but grebados and 30/30 SS. Can't wait.
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Next

Return to Crest Courtyard